Mini-suite or Balcony

Mist_ynight

I just booked a southbound Alaskan Cruise and booked a BA balcony on Caribe deck. I was looking and I could get a AC mini-suite on dolphin deck for about $50 pp more. Since it's such an expensive cruise I'm not sure if I should do it or not. I've heard the caribe balconies are great and if I got a mini they have a regular size balcony, don't they? We used the balcony tons on our last cruise and I expect we will use it just as much or more in Alaska. Should we get the bigger balcony or the bigger room? The balcony is midship and the mini would be more toward the front of the ship.

I was also wondering how it works if the price goes down and I've booked with an online TA. Will they adjust my booking if I see a lower price?

The balcony is plenty big for two. It partly depends on whether you require covered. We've had both exposed Dolphin deck and covered Emerald deck ones. The covered was nice for Alaska. It rains a lot. We didn't mind uncovered in nicer climes. The mini-suite has a real bath tub. It's mostly no contest for us. My wife likes a tub. As for your other question, our TA gets our price lowered, but we have to call her to get it started. We watch things closer than she does.

I never thought about the balconies being uncovered, I definitely want a covered balcony. I don't care about the bathtub. I can manage with the small shower for a week.

Will all TA's lower the price? I forgot to ask her and I don't want to call her back right now. I'll wait until I see a price drop if one happens.

I wanted a mini suite for Alaska, but booked one on Emerald deck so it would be covered. If I'm in the Caribbean, the uncoverred balconies on Dolphin deck are fine. For Alaska, the covered balcony is smarter. Did you check and see if there are any AD mini-suites on Emerald deck? That will even be a better price than the AC on Dolphin deck.

A mini is very much more comfortable because it has an area with a sofa to enable much more relaxation while in the cabin.

The bathroom also is much roomier (certainly not huge) but with a tub in which to soak after a cool day ashore on an Alaskan cruise.

If the price is close -- go for the mini. You will not be disappointed. Relax and enjoy the cruise>

P&J

For us it is a no brainer. We go with at least a mini, and a full site when available. I cruised one time with a regular balcony cabin, and would never do t again, especially with the size of the shower. I'm not real big, but I could hardly raise my arms to soap up.

Mini for us, nothing less.

The AD mini was more expensive then the AC mini. I just checked again and the price is gone up to $150 pp more so I'll be sticking with my BA balcony. I would not take the couch and tub over a covered balcony. I like to sit on the balcony more then in the room.

We really enjoy our mini suites because of the sitting area. Many of the sofas will seat up to four comfortably, and then you have two chairs and a coffee table. It certainly makes the cruise more enjoyable for us since we always have others cruising with us, and have a place to visit and plan our days.

Archived