Best Visibility vs Time of year

ajagent

I am trying to figure out which port to dive in on my upcoming cruise. I have read a lot of stuff about the ports I am going to, Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel. We are going in Jan and I was wondering if any of these are better or worse for visibility during this part of the year.

• 4 weeks later...
I am trying to figure out which port to dive in on my upcoming cruise. I have read a lot of stuff about the ports I am going to, Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel. We are going in Jan and I was wondering if any of these are better or worse for visibility during this part of the year.

As a rule, the western Caribbean gets what they call "Christmas Winds" in the winter from late November to mid-January - which can affect your dives. Namely, you can get rougher seas and by mid-morning, have it affect the visibility. So, go early.

Roatan and Cozumel will have the best visibility this time of year - but watch the current in Coz. If you can get out to Ambergris Cay in Belize (flights depart every hour from Belize City), you may get decent visibility there also. Costa Maya is hit or miss on a good day, as are the ship sponsored dives in Belize. Seasports Belize in Belize City is great dive operation, but where they will take you depends on how much time you have. Personally, I would dive in only two of the four ports you plan to visit - Cozumel and Roatan.

Archived