Cabbage Soup Diet

I'm not doing cabbage soup but I saw your goal is 60 pounds...me too! We don't cruise for 76 weeks (the September after yours:p), so that's how long I gave myself to lose the weight-1 pound a week with a few weeks to spare! I'm actually using an app on my Droid X and it's helping me to stay focused and keep track of what I eat.

Incidentally, which cabbage soup diet are you following? I see about a bazillion cabbage soup diets lol...

It's nice to see you have reasonable goals and are tracking what you eat. Just a word of caution in this diet (or any fad diet for that matter): First, this diet can be painful to your lower digestive tract and can produce flatulence. Not a pleasant side effect. Also, this diet doesn't come close to supplying you with all of your nutritional needs, especially over the long haul. And it's really a de-tox type diet not meant for more than 7-10 days. Plus, you will easily get bored with this diet aftera couple of weeks. Eating needs to be enjoyable and foods varied.

So focus on changing your eating habits and getting more exercise rather than rapid weight loss that comes from a restricted diet.

I've tried the cabbage soup diet before, and have never made it past the first few days. However - it taught me how to make an easy low cal soup. I make a batch of 'modified' cabbage soup every week, and that's pretty much what I eat for lunch every day. I add corn and green beans - corn of course is increasing the calorie count, but I've tracked the calories on many batches and it works out to be about 75-90 cal per 8 oz. I've been eating it steadily for about 2-3 months now, and have stuck to a low cal / high exercise diet. I've lost 21 pounds in 2 months. Good luck to you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Every time I read this thread title I would think, "Mmmm...cabbage soup."

I just want you to know that you've been motivating me to make a huge pot of cabbage soup over the weekends. I freeze it in 2-cup increments and take it to work for lunches. One big pot lasts a couple of weeks. I'm eating a little healthier and, because I'm replacing soup with my heavier lunches, I've been losing weight a little faster. Thanks! :D

This is the recipe I've been using. It's sooooooo good. I add more quantities of veggies than the recipe calls for so the soup is heartier (e.g., I use 3/4 of the cabbage rather than 1/2). Hope someone else enjoys it as much as I do!

Healing Cabbage Soup

3 Tablespoons olive oil

1 onion, chopped

2 stalks celery, chopped

2 carrots, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp basil

¼ cup finely chopped parsley

1 teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon pepper

2 quarts chicken stock

½ head cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped

1 (14.5-oz) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, drained and diced

In large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Stir in onion, celery, and carrots and cook until onion is transparent and celery and carrots are soft. Add green pepper and sauté for 5-10 minutes.

Add garlic, oregano, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes. Add stock. Bring to a boil, then stir in cabbage. Simmer until cabbage wilts, about 10 minutes.

Stir in tomatoes. Return to a boil, then simmer 15-30 minutes, stirring often.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived