Kindles

amer_can

I'm thinking of getting my husband a kindle e reader and it will go with us on a cruise to Alaska. Knowing nothing at all about this device I would like to find out if it can be used on board (Regatta) without paying the internet fees that the ship charges. :confused: Can someone help me without getting too technical??? thanks

I'm thinking of getting my husband a kindle e reader and it will go with us on a cruise to Alaska. Knowing nothing at all about this device I would like to find out if it can be used on board (Regatta) without paying the internet fees that the ship charges. :confused: Can someone help me without getting too technical??? thanks

If you try to add books, or read daily newspapers and such, you probably will incur internet charges. Add books at home before you leave or, in Alaska, you will likely find some free wi-fi hotspots in the larger towns where you can hook it up.

The safest way to avoid any charges is to place it in "airplane mode", which shuts off all attempts to connect, and which incidentally increases battery life. You can freely read whatever is already loaded, anywhere you might normally read.

We have used our Kindle on our last two cruises, both to read books which we download before we leave, and to read the New York Times. We buy a month subscription to the Times before we leave, and I think we have to pay about five dollars a week in addition for international wireless delivery. In port we can usually get the paper by wireless, and at sea download it to our computer, which takes only a minute or so of internet time, and then transfer it to the Kindle. I admit my husband does most of this, but it looks easy. For us, sitting in Horizons each morning and drinking coffee was almost perfect, but we missed the paper. Now it is perfect, except we travel with only one Kindle.

Ellen

If you download books prior to cruising there are no charges and if you have both Internet and 3G on your Kindle (the more expensive model)you can download books while in any ports for no extra charge.

I've been traveling with a Kindle since Feb. '08. I load it before I leave home with more books than I think I'll need. Thus the only thing I have to think about on the ship is charging it. Being a Kindle it "might" (operative word - "might") need to be charged once. Other than that I just read.

The color on the nook is an interesting addition but I don't have a need for it. I've got over 300 books in my archives, not a picture among them. I much prefer the almost matte screen that allows me to read in any light.

Nook black & white owner here; we like the e-ink technology (like the Kindle) better for reading. Battery life on ours is not quite as good as the Kindle because of the little touchscreen navigation screen at the bottom, but still good for 8 or 9 days. I charge it once a week.

Have taken several cruises (river and ocean) with Kindle sinceI got my first one in 2007, when they first came out. Can't praise the gadget enough. I love it. Easy on the eyes, can read it in bright sunlight with no trouble. Long battery life. You don't need to turn on the wireless at all when you are abroad. So no internet, no 3G --no worries!

PM me if I can help you further.

Donna

And, if you have 3G, you can even use it to check / update your facebook and check email -- no charge. I did this from Coco Cay last November. Much better than paying those high wifi fees! :)[/qu

Would it be possible to keep in touch with you later so you could tell this techno disadvantaged person how to do this email check up? It was so expensive to use the ship's computer system and frustrating to say the least...Should this be possible I thank you in advance:D

And, if you have 3G, you can even use it to check / update your facebook and check email -- no charge. I did this from Coco Cay last November. Much better than paying those high wifi fees! :)

I'd love to hear an explanation of how to do this! I'm new to Kindle and was not aware of this ability.

Bruce

Found this after my last post:

Turn on your Kindle and go to the homepage.

Click on "Menu," then click on "Experimental."

Press the "Select" wheel once you get to the basic Web browser. Type the address for the mobile version of your email provider into the URL box and press "Submit."

Enter your email logon credentials into the appropriate boxes and start reading email.

Bruce

Archived