Kindle Wi-FI

msstarr22

Another quick question. I am thinking about getting news on my kindle and that is downloaded by wi-fi. Will it work on the ship and will it be charged to my sign-n-sail account to download it. I have not seen this question before. Hope someone can help we leave in a week.:eek:

Another quick question. I am thinking about getting news on my kindle and that is downloaded by wi-fi. Will it work on the ship and will it be charged to my sign-n-sail account to download it. I have not seen this question before. Hope someone can help we leave in a week.:eek:

Thank you for asking a question that's been on my mind too. Just got my Kindle Wi-fi and wanted to know the same thing.

I found this on an Amazon Forum:

As long as you have internet access, yes, you can.

Be aware that the local internet provider (including the cruise line) may charge you for that in different places.

One concern: Amazon stores the current issue and six back issues for you. If these are daily newspapers, you need to download once a week to avoid losing issues.

You can do this by using a computer and connectiing to

http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle

Click the plus box next to the subscription,and you'll see the option. You'll be downloading it, then transferring it to your Kindle's documents folder using your included USB.

If you are in a country with Whispernet (the Kindle's wireless internet connection) you may download the issues wirelessly. Using international wireless for that costs, though: $4.99 for a week or $1.99 per issue. To avoid those charges, just leave the wireless off while you are on the trip.

Bufo Calvin

Amazon Author Central page:

http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B002E0NBIW

Wait til you are in ports and turn it on, get things downloaded, and read at your leisure. Although with the news as it is these days- I am really happy to be getting away from it. I figure if anything truly critical happens they will let us know. I can't do anything about most of it anyway and it will (sadly) still be there when I return to real life. And this coming from a complete news junky.

Before you can use the WIFI on the ship you'll need to establish an accout... one time $3.95 set up fee. You can then opt to buy minutes in a package or ala carte at the rate of $.75/minute.

Nope... no way to get around it.

:)

I've heard that if you have the Kindle 3g, that you can use the internet while in port for free by using the Kindle's browser. Can anyone verify this? I'd love to be able to use my Kindle to check my e-mail during my Europe cruise in order to minimize the number of wi-fi minutes that I have to purchase from Carnival.

3g uses cell phone service, and the answer depends on the cell provider. I really doubt they are going to let anyone surf for free just because they have a particular device.

Certain cell providers may have an arrangement with Amazon to allow Kindles on the network for free, but that is unlikely to extend to Europe. But I really don't know for sure... I would just be very surprised if that were allowed.

I've heard that if you have the Kindle 3g, that you can use the internet while in port for free by using the Kindle's browser. Can anyone verify this? I'd love to be able to use my Kindle to check my e-mail during my Europe cruise in order to minimize the number of wi-fi minutes that I have to purchase from Carnival.

I used my kindle w/ 3g on the Freedom last October to check email. It worked best in ports although I did get a 3g signal at sea. Regardless, it's SLOW. I only read/replied to items that couldn't wait until I was home.

3g uses cell phone service, and the answer depends on the cell provider. I really doubt they are going to let anyone surf for free just because they have a particular device.

Certain cell providers may have an arrangement with Amazon to allow Kindles on the network for free, but that is unlikely to extend to Europe. But I really don't know for sure... I would just be very surprised if that were allowed.

The Kindle's 3g service is free world wide. That is one of the main reasons why I got the 3g and not the wi-fi only version.

Thank you for asking a question that's been on my mind too. Just got my Kindle Wi-fi and wanted to know the same thing.

Thank you for all the great answers. I also just figured out I hit the big one. No not the super lotto, but I can use the same cord for my kindle, camera, and blackberry!!! talk about having a mega fix for my cruise.. not taking all those cords!!!:D:D

The Kindle's 3g service is free world wide. That is one of the main reasons why I got the 3g and not the wi-fi only version.

Wish it were so but while it's hard to find the details, you don't get free 3g worldwide. http://tiny.cc/6a0p0

International Service Fees for U.S. Customers

Kindle customers from the United States can travel internationally and still get books in less than 60 seconds. Customers have the option to wirelessly receive periodicals and personal documents for a fee, or transfer files from their computer for free.

• International Subscription Service: Receive all of your newspaper, magazine, and blog subscription content wirelessly for a weekly fee of $4.99.
  • International Personal Document Service: Transfer personal documents to your Kindle wirelessly for $.99 per megabyte (rounded up to the next whole megabyte). For more information about transferring personal files to your Kindle, see the Transferring, Downloading, and Sending Files to Kindle Help page.

The Kindle isn't free (I've got one and yes there is a charge to download on the ship), but there is a way to communicate with your family for free. You can set up a Carnival account and then use their forums to communicate. They are free while onboard! Tell your family to set up one and you can leave messages back and forth...kinda like email except others can read the forum, too.

It's a free way to be able to get important messages if you NEED them but don't want to pay those crazy prices just to see how family is doing.

Thanks for all the info. I currently just purchased a Kindle and find this info helpful.

I do have a question though. At the port, will the Kindle be okay left in my carry on and passed thru the x-ray...or should it be handled as a laptop and bypass the x-ray?

Thanks for all the info. I currently just purchased a Kindle and find this info helpful.

I do have a question though. At the port, will the Kindle be okay left in my carry on and passed thru the x-ray...or should it be handled as a laptop and bypass the x-ray?

My laptop goes through the xray at airports - no harm done.

To my knowledge, the only thing that can be damaged by airport (seaport) x-ray machines is unexposed photographic film, and even then only with the super powerful machines that they use for checked baggage, or super fast (high ASA number) films in carry-on baggage. My computers, my digital cameras, and my Kindle go through (I guess should say "...used to go through..." I won't fly any more) carry-on x-ray machines all the time with no problem.

I will probably take my Kindle on our cruise later this year, but only to read the books I already have loaded into it, not for news updates. I'll be trying to get away from the everyday, not drag it along with me... JMHO

The fees are for subscription and personal documents mailed to the Kindle.

From my Kindle:

You can get books wirelessly in less than 60 seconds while traveling in over 100 countries.

There is no charge for wirelessly receiving books, receiving single periodical issues, browsing the Kindle store or using the experimental web browser while traveling internationally.

I did get a book while we were in a port in the Caribbean for no charge. Our AT&T phone would have had roaming fees but the Kindle worked fine. I could not get a book while on the ship because there are no towers to connect to except the ship's tower and that would have had a fee.

I just returned from the Southern Caribbean. My Kindle with 3G Whisper Net was able to get Facebook about 90% of the time. It was so fun to be lounging in the sun and posting to my Facebook account about it. No charge for this fun! Rarely I could access my email accounts, but it was slow. I did not download any materials during the cruise, so can't speak to that cost.

Enjoy!

Archived