Gluten Free Meals?

Classiccruiser777

Greetings Cunarders. I recently found out that I should no longer eat wheat (I have celiac disease). I called Cunard and informed them of my dietary restriction and they said it would be accommodated. My question to anyone with experience with this restriction is how did Cunard "accommodate" someone with this condition? Was the food of equal quality to the regular offerings (we have taken 6 Cunard cruises in the past 3 years)? Were gluten free breads and other baked goods available? Thank you for your answers.

Greetings Cunarders. I recently found out that I should no longer eat wheat (I have celiac disease). I called Cunard and informed them of my dietary restriction and they said it would be accommodated. My question to anyone with experience with this restriction is how did Cunard "accommodate" someone with this condition? Was the food of equal quality to the regular offerings (we have taken 6 Cunard cruises in the past 3 years)? Were gluten free breads and other baked goods available? Thank you for your answers.

Having travelled with friends with strange and assorted allergies, I can tell you that the answer is that you will be looked after very well. This is in steerage, you'll note.

The important thing is to discuss the matter with your waiters/head waiter as soon as possible in case the message doesn't get through. Once those on board are aware, you'll be fine.

WD

I've been assured that there will be gluten-free bread, crackers, desserts etc available. I'm not a celiac but do try to avoid gluten as part of an ant-inflammatory diet...my impression was that the kitchen is well-versed in gluten-free preperation so, with the help of your maitre d, there should be no problem.:)

My Daughter also has Celiac disease & she did not have any problem in the restaurant, They made bread & roles for her, But you do have to inform Cunard before your voyage of the condition, Points to note 1 make sure your waiter knows of your condition on the 1st night 2 make sure any Sauces/Gravies are also suitable for you MANY ARE NOT 3 Room service if you use it make sure they know each time you order. 4 Kings court/ Lido beware of x contamination & use of Pasta in Soups, My Daughter also informed me that Indian food & bread was the best thing to eat as real Indian food contains no Wheat.

I was given the next day's menu after dinner and was then able to choose which dishes I wanted for the next day's lunch/dinner, for most of them it was possible to have them made without the offending ingredients. The quality was very impressive and quite a treat as I have a fairly bland diet normally (multiple allergies). Gluten-free bread was available in the restaurant and at the self-service place, I forget its name. Also, gluten free scones are available on request at afternoon tea in the self service area and I imagine in the other areas where it is served.

Archived