Great Stirrup Cay Update?

KevinsCruising

To all the recent cruisers to GSC, are there any noticable changes to GSC? Are we still taking the tenors to the island or can we now dock? Is the beach any different? I was there in October and sailing again in 2 weeks. Will I see any difference?

Thanks

I was there last week but it was my first time there so I don't know of any differnces. You do take a tender from the ship to a new docking area and the BBQ area I believe was brand new. They were still working on other parts of the island.

Sounds good...;)

How was the weather last week? Able to swim in the ocean ?

Thanks

Also I see that this is your first NCL cruise from Carnival. How did you like it? When I started sailing NCL from Carnival, it took me a little while to get use to the Freestyle dining especially with a different waiter staff but now, I cannot cruise any other way.

:o

Sounds good...;)

How was the weather last week? Able to swim in the ocean ?

Thanks

Unless they dredge the entire area, there's no way the ship is going to be able to dock there. But there is a tender dock area now, which is nice. The beach looks much larger than I've seen in people's pictures from last year. There is a large, covered, buffet area and lots of covered seating areas with picnic tables for eating.

The weather this week was beautiful, we were just there on Thursday. The water was too cold for me to want to swim in it but lots of other people did go in. I"ll be posting pictures as soon as I can get them all organized and processed. We had a nice day there!

NCL never planned to dock the ship, would cost too much to constantly dredge out the a slip for the ships. I believe they planned to dock the tenders instead of beaching them, but not sure.

Last September all the work was being done behind the rows of clam shells, would love to know the "improvements"

• 1 month later...
Coming in late to this, but anyone know the estimated done date for the island revamp?

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't been there since 2009 but hope to go next Feb.

I was just in GSC three weeks ago. Everything is looking good. It looks to be on track for the 11/11 completion. Here are some pics

This is a shot of the tender coming back. You can see the main beach to the right rear. This used to be where the tenders landed.

SAM_0597.jpg

This next shot shows the tender pulling out of the newly carved dock area.

SAM_0593.jpg

The following are shots within the new dock area. I also have video of the entire tender process I can upload as well.

SAM_0588.jpg

SAM_0587.jpg

SAM_0586.jpg

Jeebs those shots are making me sad, just got back from sailing the Sky and I didn't want to leave. Great ship and lots of fun.

Definitely not my intention but I agree. I don't think I've ever wanted to get off a ship. :D

Archived