What kind of camera would you take?

ML81

I just posted a message on the monopod head thread a few threads from this one. If you're buying the monopod, I'm on my second SILK carbon fiber monopod (about $100). I love them, and unfortunately left the first on the Regent Seven Seas. Also I really like the Opteka Sidewinder SW1 pistol grip head with quick release available from Amazon for about $29. It's a bit heavier than many other models but offers superb control and a great quick tripod release. Have fun on the trip!

I just posted a message on the monopod head thread a few threads from this one. If you're buying the monopod, I'm on my second SLIK carbon fiber monopod (about $100). I love them, and unfortunately left the first on the Regent Seven Seas. Also I really like the Opteka pistol grip head available from Amazon for about $40. It's a bit heavier but offers superb control and a great tripod release. Have fun on the trip!

I just posted a message on the monopod head thread a few threads from this one. If you're buying the monopod, I'm on my second SLIK carbon fiber monopod (about $100). I love them, and unfortunately left the first on the Regent Seven Seas. Also I really like the Opteka pistol grip head available from Amazon for about $40. It's a bit heavier but offers superb control and a great tripod release. Have fun on the trip!

I do have one that I'm taking with me, but I'm sure I'll be looking for one in the future. Thanks for the info:)

• 3 weeks later...

On a cruise/vacation like this I prefer to take something smaller that has lots of customization but is not a full DSLR. The mid tier at around $200 has a lot of good choices. I picked up a Canon PowerShot SX103ls and love it. It has good manual focus, good manual apperture and stops. It does an awesome job in auto modes as well. I use it Programable mode the majority of the time, but if I'm handing it off to someone else to take a picture of us I put into portrait mode since they won't know the little ins and outs of getting the best picture for me. It takes great HD videos as well. While it isn't intended to be a camcorder for me, it does come in handy when a picture just can't capture the full beauty of something (like hearing the waves of the ocean and seeing the tide or someone playing steel drums)

When the sun is bright and the waves are gentle, that's the perfect time to have glare on the LCD ruin your shots. I think -- regardless of your first choice in cameras -- all cruisers who love photography should also have a camera with either an optical or electronic viewfinder. On my forthcoming trip, my camera of choice will be a Canon S95; however I'll also carry (the delivery gods being willing) the new Fuji X100 with its larger sensor, light weight and state-of-the-art viewfinder. If that doesn't arrive in time, I'll probably opt for a megazoom which combines the optical finder with a long telephoto reach, or a small DSLR with a fast prime lens. With any of these options, the combined weight of the 2 cameras should be only about 2 pounds.

Another plus is that they also share essentially the same software which is a lot easier than having to speak Canon, Nikon, and Lumix at the same time.

Software? People actually use the software that came with their cameras? Guess I'm too techy, I have never installed anything and just use a card reader to access my photos the old fashioned way that doesn't require useless software taking up space on my hard drive. That and a copy of Photoshop and I'm set to go.

Sorry, I was referring to the softwre implanted in the cameras that determine the menus and what happens when you make a selection. As you know, they're very different for the different camera brands.

That's exactly why all of my cameras are canons. I never have to hunt for a setting. Its in the same menu spot in each camera

I take my Canon 7D with my wide angle glass, walk around glass, and my telephoto glass. I take my Canon G12 when I don't want to carry all my heavy gear, and I take my Canon D10 for underwater photos. With all threeI can grab what I want/need for the day.

I take 2 - my DSLR Canon Xsi and my Canon Powershot 780IS point and shoot. The P&S is smaller than some Blackberry devices and I always take that to dinner with me and just around the ship in the evening.

I use my DSLR for other shots during the day / etc. I am contemplating only taking my 18-55mm lens with me this time so I don't have to take my big camera bag...Just the body and that one lens and that's it.

Archived