What to do in Vancouver???????

believer33323

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Hi Putterdude~

Can you tell me which bus stop we want to be drop off at going into Stanley Park? I am thinking that dinner may be at Cactus Club Cafe on Burrad. :D I googled map and it recommended taking Bus 19. But it looks like it takes us all the way into the Park? I was looking more to the edge to hit the seawall? Is that about right w/Bus 19?

Thanks,

Charlie

Hi Putterdude~

Can you tell me which bus stop we want to be drop off at going into Stanley Park? I am thinking that dinner may be at Cactus Club Cafe on Burrad. :D I googled map and it recommended taking Bus 19. But it looks like it takes us all the way into the Park? I was looking more to the edge to hit the seawall? Is that about right w/Bus 19?

Thanks,

Charlie

The #19 is the one you want, get off at Denman Street, which is effectively the edge of the park, walk toward the water and you will find the seawall. Hope this is what you are looking for.

i have lived in van my whole life, ( born here), van has some of the best ethnic food in the world. such as, indian, thai, different regions of china, vietnamese, and amazing sushi. what do you like?, also there are walkable interesting neighborhoods, such as main st, commercial dr, chinatown, japantown, and an indian market. plus italian , ethiopian, spanish, etc....

We are debating doing Chinatown or Japantown with our teens, would you recommend one over the other?

Here is info on lots of things to do.

I would recommend Grouse Mtn and Capilano Suspension Bridge as must sees and they can be done very easily via public transit. Buy an all day pass for $9 and take a bus to the Waterfront station - there transfer to the SeaBus for the ride accross the harbour to North Vancouver. You will dock at the Lonsdale Quay Public Market. Walk thru the market and exit at the north end where the buses are there take the Capilano Road bus and ask the driver to tell you when to get off for the Capilano Suspension Bridge. Enjoy the Bridge, Tree Top Walk, Nature Trails, Gardens and Trading Post then reboard another Capilano Road bus still going up the hill. The end of this bus route is the bottom station for the air tram up Grouse Mountain. Once up the mountain you will enjoy several hours of fun. There is also a good restuarnt and cafe for lunch or dinner. When finished just reboard the Capilano Road Bus and ride it back to Londale Quay then the SeaBus back to Waterfront Station...Once back at Watherfront station when you exit the station turn left and you are at the entrance to Gas Town Vancouver's historic downtown district which is full of shops and restaurants.

awesome info, thanks!

We are debating doing Chinatown or Japantown with our teens, would you recommend one over the other?

I am afraid there really isn't much left of the old Japantown, the Canadian/Japanese have very much integrated with the rest of us. So for sure I would choose a walk around in Chinatown.

What bus number would we take to Stanley Park from the Airport? We are staying at the Vancouver Fairmont Airport for 2 nights.

ADDED: I just remembered, we take the SkyTrain. Oh Boy, I know I am going to get us all lost. lol

What bus number would we take to Stanley Park from the Airport? We are staying at the Vancouver Fairmont Airport for 2 nights.

ADDED: I just remembered, we take the SkyTrain. Oh Boy, I know I am going to get us all lost. lol

Take the Canada Line from YVR to Waterfront Station, walk up to Granville & Pender and transfer the #19 bus.

Good evening:

Does anyone know of any hotels that will provide transportation from the airport and then the next day to the cruiseport?

Thanks.

Linda

Sorry none of the downtown hotels provide transportation from YVR. A few, namely the Hampton Inn and Suites, the Best Western Downtown on Drake St. and the Coast Plaza provide service to the pier. However as few downtown hotels are more than a $10 cab ride to Canada Place I would focus more on your hotel rate then shuttle service.

Sorry none of the downtown hotels provide transportation from YVR. A few, namely the Hampton Inn and Suites, the Best Western Downtown on Drake St. and the Coast Plaza provide service to the pier. However as few downtown hotels are more than a $10 cab ride to Canada Place I would focus more on your hotel rate then shuttle service.

Thanks for information. What hotels would you recommend? We are hoping to come in at least the day before the cruise, possibly two days before. Would we take a cab from the airport? Also, I have seen folks comment about the hop on hop off for a fare of $9.00. Could you please give me the website for this because the site I looked at showed that it was something like $35.00 for 1 day. I must be looking at the wrong website.

Thank you for your advice and helpful information.

Linda and Alan

I would suggest that you try bidding for a hotel on Priceline. Once on the bidding screen, select Vancouver Downtown, click on 3*+, then start bidding at about $90 for about $135 you should end up with a great hotel...but you may need to be a bit patient and not get caught up in bidding more and more. Once you have a hotel we can help you with the best way to get to it.

The $9 passes are for transit which in my mind is not the best way to see the city. The HOHOs are set up for this purpose with narration....but that does come with a cost.

Thanks for information. What hotels would you recommend? We are hoping to come in at least the day before the cruise, possibly two days before. Would we take a cab from the airport? Also, I have seen folks comment about the hop on hop off for a fare of $9.00. Could you please give me the website for this because the site I looked at showed that it was something like $35.00 for 1 day. I must be looking at the wrong website.

Thank you for your advice and helpful information.

Linda and Alan

Local transit passes are $9 for the day pass. a great deal that takes you everywhere a Ho Ho. http://translink.ca/

We did a 4-hour tour of Vancouver after disembarking from our cruise. I really enjoyed Stanley Park. The totems are awesome and there is a great view of the harbor with our cruise shop docked in Canada Place! I would have also liked to spend more time in Gastown and Chinatown. You can see photos on my blog (click on Vancouver):

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

Hope that helps!

Vancouver, yes that's what i was researching, I got totally sucked into your blog, you did such a great job with it! Thanks for sharing, you are a really cute couple too!

This is where we were thinking of staying for 2 nights before our cruise. Any feedback from any locals? Don't want to end up in the aforementioned seedy area of town.

2889 East Hastings Street is the address, looks like it's on the corner of Hastings and Renfrew, looks like a green area possibly a park in front of it, map shows Pacific National Exhibition and Playland in the "green" area.

Good evening:

Does anyone know of any hotels that will provide transportation from the airport and then the next day to the cruiseport?

Thanks.

Linda

We are looking at a Holiday Inn Express (cuz we have points to use) and it appears they offer a shuttle for $7.50 per person from the airport (YVR), also says they have shuttles to the port. Reservations are required for both and I haven't found the price to the port yet. In a separate post I asked some locals for some feedback on the hotel so you might want to watch for responses to that as well.

Is faresaver 10 2 zone best for the following. YVR to Sheraton Wall. May or may not take transport that evening for dinner. Next day down to Canada Place drop bags, on to Stanely park. Later in day back to Canada Place. Last day from Canada Place to YVR. There are 2 people in our party.

I am afraid there really isn't much left of the old Japantown, the Canadian/Japanese have very much integrated with the rest of us. So for sure I would choose a walk around in Chinatown.

Good to know, I hadn't even heard of it before this thread so will stick with Chinatown.

what is the best way to get to the airport after our cruise? We are heading to Kelowna on West Jet to see friends, then Calgary before heading home.

The least expensive way is to walk over to Waterfront Station and take the Canada Line out to YVR, the fare for going out to the YVR is $3.75. You need to be able to handle all of your own luggage though. Otherwise it is a cab which will be about $35.

Is faresaver 10 2 zone best for the following. YVR to Sheraton Wall. May or may not take transport that evening for dinner. Next day down to Canada Place drop bags, on to Stanely park. Later in day back to Canada Place. Last day from Canada Place to YVR. There are 2 people in our party.

If you are going to use about 8 of the tickets then that is very definitely the way to go.

This is where we were thinking of staying for 2 nights before our cruise. Any feedback from any locals? Don't want to end up in the aforementioned seedy area of town.

2889 East Hastings Street is the address, looks like it's on the corner of Hastings and Renfrew, looks like a green area possibly a park in front of it, map shows Pacific National Exhibition and Playland in the "green" area.

You have pretty much got it nailed and it is the PNE that you are looking at. There is nothing wrong with the location other than it is a bit challenged for restaurants other than Chinese. You should also be aware that you are about a 20/25 minute bus ride into downtown and you pass through what is the the poorest postal code in Canada.

I notice your cruise is in August. If it's late August, it's a fine place to be, because you're right next door to one of the largest fairs in the west. http://pne.bc.ca/

I think it would be useful to point out that there are considerable differences between public transit in Vancouver and the two HOHOs that operate in the city.

Vancouver's transit system is excellent and the $9 all day pass is a terrific investment if you have 3 or 4 specific attractions that you wish to visit. However, the transit system is exactly that...it is designed to move as many people as possible between two points, it is not a city tour.

Unlike the HOHOs, the transit system:

-does not make 6 strategic stops in Stanley Park

-does not stop at Canada Place

-does not go by the Olympic Cauldron

-does not go to the Maritime Museum

-does not go to the Dr. Sun Yat Sen gardens in Chinatown

-does not go through Gastown with a stop at the Steam Clock

-does not provide a ticket on the False Creek ferry from Granville Island.

-last but not least for the tourist, it does not offer narration pointing out what you are looking at as you go by, its history and so forth.

Archived