Elegant/Formal Night Kaput on Carnival

OneNewTexan

I wish I knew how to post links on here from other postings, but I did a search of the OP's other posts and found something very interesting. I was able to copy and paste it and here it is

We were on the same cruise on the Summit and dined at the Normandie on three nights. On the first night, one man attempted to enter the Normandie for dinner wearing shorts and a simple shirt. I was pleased to see that the restaruant staff informed the man that shorts were not appropriate attire for the Normandie and he was denied entry. I don't know if he returned later wearing appropriate dress. I overheard him inquire if a jacket was required. My wife and I dressed up on both formal nights (Tuxedo and long gown) and semi-formal for the other nights in Normandie. We too were disappointed to see how people dress in the MDR. One fellow sitting at a table next to us in the MDR wore a different hat each evening at the table and never removed it. Most evenings he wore a basic colored T-shirt and plain jeans (and the variety of hats).

We wish Celebrity would go back to the Formal, Semi-Formal, and Casual dress codes. There doesn't seem to be much if any dress code enforcement in the MDR.

If he's going to complain about how they dress on Celebrity, I doubt if he's going to be happy anywhere, but that's my opinion. I sincerely do hope the OP finds a cruiseline he is happy with how they dress.

He is a sadder case than I first thought. Can you imagine having to live your life worring about how the other people around you will be dressed? It must add a very heavy burden to probably an already busy life.

You know those shows you see and you say thank heavens I do not have that problem. Same thing for me about this situation. I can cruise 3 times just on what he spends extra for clothing to eat in. Not to mention my lower stress level because people are not doing what I want them to do. I feel very lucky not to have the OP's problem.

We try a bit on elegant night.

More like look okay night...

But it is too much stuff to haul suits and dresses and otherwise unneeded shoes.

My son's size 13s would almost fill his suitcase...

If you want to cart the tux and the dressy dress, then do it.

Last cruise I was on there was a couple seated near us that dressed everynight. I enjoyed seeing them, but I am glad that I did not have to haul their baggage.

I'm going to be wearing some black dress pants and a nice top that doesn't wrinkle.

Back in the day people traveled with lots and lots of stuff.

Wonder what it would cost to check an old time steamer trunk on an airplane?

The one constant is that is is still all about money and always has been.

More people choose not to support a caste system. They refuse to play another's game. It is not dumbing down, it is enlightenment.

Civilization did not create cruise ships to satisfy the needs of highly judgmental fashion police but we ended up with them anyway. Just further proof of how imperfect civilization is, along with your AK47s and Boone's Farm.

Zydie, I'm thinking maybe you were napping during Logic class.

Your statement that "it is still all about money and always has been" makes no sense at all, unless you're evidencing some kind of inferiority complex..

And cruise ships actually were pretty much created to satisfy the needs of people who wanted an elegant and classy way to travel from America to "the Continent". During the Golden Age of Cruising, that's exactly what it was all about.

You state "More people do not support a caste system." I don't think anyone on this thread is advocating a caste system. A caste system prohibits certain classes from having the same rights as other classes. That has absolutely nothing do with regret that the lower end of the social spectrum refuses to honor the cruise line's dress code and suggested mode of dress. There are also a lot of rude people attacking and insulting those who choose to honor the cruise lines recommendations and know the difference between "recommended" and "grudgingly allowed".

But to continue your analogy..... "more people" also can barely read and write and can't spell and can't use proper grammar and can't think logically and can't comprehend what they read and have no idea of what polite social behavior is all about, or what constitutes class and decorum and simple respect for other people. According to your logic, those are not signs of "dumbing down" but are all signs of "enlightenment" and the "advancement of civilization".

You're frightening me. :D

I always find it interesting on CC when some folks attack the OP when they can't handle constructive criticism of their favorite cruise line. Better to offer constructive discussion rather than personally attack the OP. Some pretty nasty folks participate on CC. I submitted my OP to offer my honest and candid perspective on our recent Carnival cruise, not to open myself to personal and insulting remarks from people that do not know me or my family. Geez.

I always find it interesting on CC when some folks attack the OP when they can't handle constructive criticism of their favorite cruise line. Better to offer constructive discussion rather than personally attack the OP. Some pretty nasty folks participate on CC. I submitted my OP to offer my honest and candid perspective on our recent Carnival cruise, not to open myself to personal and insulting remarks from people that do not know me or my family. Geez.

Yep....gotta luv our CCL Cheerleaders here at CC !!!

I agree with you completely.

For what it's worth, any dress code thread brings out the worst in the McDonald's crowd. The same handful of people scream and rant about how anyone who wants to honor the dress code is a snob, or 100 years old, or an elitist.

The majority of CC members have repeatedly (in every CC poll) stated that about 85% of them honor the dress code on Elegant Night. Of course, the McDonald's Army will scream that those polls only represent a small percentage (their claim is usually 2% :rolleyes:) of all the people who cruise.

The only thing I can say to that is "Please show us the polls and statistics which back up your claim that the other 98% of all cruisers want to do totally away with any attempt to dress up on designated nights".

So far, there hasn't been a single shred of evidence to back up their claims.

For every person who vehemently posts that Elegant or Formal Night is dead, there are 20 who disagree completely, but are so tired of listening to the rants and raves of the McDonald Army that they just emit a huge sigh and go on about their business. :)

+1 its nuts. Then again some people get so attached to a brand, any negative remark at that brand is an affront the that individual as well. Instead of agreeing rules were broke, they encourage the breaking of rules.

Like I said before they MUST be the same folks who hog chairs on the deck or cut in line at buffets or tenders. No different. They feel they paid their ticket and can do what ever they want. If you don't like them claiming a chair on deck and not using it for hours, who are you to complain? You must be a chair **** or something. Don't like them cutting in lines? Just who do you think you are to complain? They paid their tickets, rules be damned. Most cruisers hate waiting in lines, everyone should be able to cut in lines when they want. No one should wait. Well applying their logic to the other annoying things it would go like that anyway. They want to be special snowflakes and will vilify those who do the right thing because deep down they know they are in the wrong and want to justify it.

BTW OP. You really are going to write off an entire line because of this? Others on the same cruise didn't notice as much. It can be easy to focus on the things that annoy. For some anyway. It was Spring Break. Expect shenanigans and slackery. Was it really so distressing? Your Christmas cruise with Carnival was good and folks dressed well, you even said "probably due to the holiday season." I bet there is plenty in this case that can be "probably due to the holiday season."

And, for the record, I really don't have a problem with the people who choose to dress to the minimum allowed by Carnival. If it's allowed, then that's their prerogative. Some of my closest friends do that and I don't have a problem with it. If it's not allowed and Carnival lets them in the dining room anyway, then that's Carnivals fault for being wishy-washy.

My main complaint is at the mistruths (and lies even) which a minority of cruisers who don't want to adhere to Carnival's recommended and suggested dress code use to try to bulldoze, brainwash and manipulate everyone else into thinking that they represent a huge majority of cruisers and that anyone who disagrees with them is out of touch with reality, stupid, geriatric, phony, snobbish, trying to recreate their Prom and so uptight that they get apoplectic at the sight of anyone not dressed in a tuxedo or floor-length ball gown.

It's this type of person's obnoxious attempts to bully everyone into seeing things the same way that they do which I find so annoying.:)

A few years ago, I gave up on trying to get my husband to dress nicely for certain things. I can't say when- but something miraculous happened, and I now find myself dressing up to HIS level:) He lost about 20 pounds and bought a new wardrobe that included some nice dark wash jeans and good-looking shirts.

He wore his tux on the recent cruise and I wore one of my formal dresses. I have several because I shop sales where dresses can be found for 60% off. And I know that I will use them for cruises or concerts. It takes just as much effort to pull on separates (capris, dressy blouse, shoes, jewelry, etc.) and coordinate those pieces as it does to slip on a one piece dress and zip a zipper.

As far as CCL, we had a very well dressed group for our late seating on the Ecstasy. The women had cocktail or long dresses for the most part, and I saw a lot of jackets and plain dress shirts while we stood in line. The issue on that cruise wasn't the way people dressed; it was the way the little kids were roaming the ship unsupervised.

I totally understand the OP. After all, part of vacationing is getting a visual break from the usual... like the sunrise over the ocean, or the vistas of the Grand Canyon, or the red rock against the deep blue sky of Sedona. I travel to "see the sights" and part of the sights I am looking at are my fellow travelers. Well, sometimes that is elegant, and sometimes it is like looking at the "People of Walmart" (which while amusing, is not where I'd like a picture of me ending up). I think if I was consistently looking at that, I'd find something better to look at. All that said, our Fall cruise has us having to cover our knees and elbows on a good many of our excursions because we are visiting religious sites. Would love to see somebody go in there and tell the priest- that they don't give a hoot what the rules are in the sanctuary... they're on vacation, by jingo, and they'll wear what they please.

And' date=' for the record, I really don't have a problem with the people who choose to dress to the minimum allowed by Carnival. If it's allowed, then that's their prerogative. [/quote']

If it is allowed, it is allowed. What is the problem? If it is not enforced, take it up with Carnival, not your fellow cruisers.

Zydie' date=' I'm thinking maybe you were napping during Logic class.

Your statement that "it is still all about money and always has been" makes no sense at all, unless you're evidencing some kind of inferiority complex..

And cruise ships actually [i']were [/i]pretty much created to satisfy the needs of people who wanted an elegant and classy way to travel from America to "the Continent". During the Golden Age of Cruising, that's exactly what it was all about.

You state "More people do not support a caste system." I don't think anyone on this thread is advocating a caste system. A caste system prohibits certain classes from having the same rights as other classes. That has absolutely nothing do with regret that the lower end of the social spectrum refuses to honor the cruise line's dress code and suggested mode of dress. There are also a lot of rude people attacking and insulting those who choose to honor the cruise lines recommendations and know the difference between "recommended" and "grudgingly allowed".

But to continue your analogy..... "more people" also can barely read and write and can't spell and can't use proper grammar and can't think logically and can't comprehend what they read and have no idea of what polite social behavior is all about, or what constitutes class and decorum and simple respect for other people. According to your logic, those are not signs of "dumbing down" but are all signs of "enlightenment" and the "advancement of civilization".

You're frightening me. :D

That it is all about money is reality. To deny would be to reject reality.

The debate is not about me or about dinosaurs or penguins.

I will forgive your ignorance of the history of Carnival. ;) It was started as a very much anti-elitist concept. Me thinks you are trying to compare ocean liners providing basic transportation, albeit in different classes (a caste system) with cruise liners, providing a basic vacation package, in general returning you to the point where you began.

I, too, object to lies and other statistics, but you won't hear them from me.

It is the fashion police who are the criminals, not the agents of change.

Just returned from our second and very last voyage on Carnival. Our first Carnival experience was over the Christmas holiday in 2008 and the passengers dressed reasonably well, probably due to the holiday season. Yesterday, we left the Triumph in New Orleans with the conclusion that the "Elegant Night" is really a joke on Carnival. Out of 3,500 passengers on board (1,100 of them children), only about five percent made any attempt to dress well in the dining room on "Elegant Night." Most were in jeans, shorts, T-shirts, and other very casual attire. I even saw some folks wearing flip-flops and one fello wearing gym sweats to the dining room. I did see about 20 men and boys wearing a tux. My son and I were two of this 20 or so. My wife and our two daughters were dressed appropriate for a formal dinner. This was really a let down to our family and is not what we expected. I know that many of you out there like this new super-casual dress standard, but it is not for us and we will be booking our future cruises on more upscale cruise lines where the passengers dress up more. I just cancelled a NCL booking this morning as we did not want to encounter the same lax dress code as we saw on Carnival. This is an FYI to all those new cruisers looking to book future trips. I will be booking Celebrity to replace the cancelled NCL booking.

So how was the rest of your cruise:confused:

Celebrity won't do it for you. Yes, you won't find jeans in the dining room, maybe, maybe, but you also are not going to find men in black tie. In fact, the higher up you go in cruise line scale, the fewer men in black tie you will see. On Seaborne, you will see men in silk or linen shirts and dress slacks, no ties, rather than overly dressed. At my yacht club, the only men one sees dressed formally are the servants.

That was my point as well. It has been a few years since I sailed with Celebrity, and I agree, while it won't be as many varying degrees of dress, it won't be formal. And my cruises were to Alaska, generally a more sedate type crowd cruising there.

Still if you are looking for less informal clothing they will be a good choice.

Trends have changed. Carnival knows who their clients are. It just doesn't matter to me anymore like it used to. We enjoy the casual atmosphere now.

As long as the food is good!:D

I have been cruising for the last 10+ years and you are always going to see all walks of life. Some in a Tux, some in a sundress, some in a suit and tie and yes some in Prom dresses!! I just dress to make myself comfortable, usually a cocktail type dress on formal nights. I agree that there should be no jeans, shorts or flip flops in the MDR - you can eat on Lido if you don't feel like getting dressed up that night.

But the most important thing is that you are on vacation.......vacation on a beautiful Cruise Ship......is there anything better??? :D

Relax and have a good time, no mater what ship your on. Good luck on the other line, but you might be surprised to find that there will always be some that do whatever they want. And dress however they want. It is their dime.

WELL SAID!!! Have been cruising for a long time, too and you will see everything. As I might not like flip-flops, etc in MDR nor would I dress as such, I am not going to begrude a fellow passenger what they paid for, either. I used to worry about my dress being okay but not any more. What other people think is their business or problem :eek:. It should be that everyone should enjoy themselves and not get over concerned about how everyone else looks.

fyi - I do enjoy seeing people dressed up on elegant nights, too, by the way. Heels & long dresses for me - not a pretty sight.

OP -- elegant nights were a nod to the bygone days of the great ships. Times are now changing whether for the best or not. I would think that to find more upscale attire you might try European cruising or like others stated, Princess or Celebrity. You might also re-think your future RCCL cruise. They are also trending more casual too.

Just returned from our second and very last voyage on Carnival. Our first Carnival experience was over the Christmas holiday in 2008 and the passengers dressed reasonably well, probably due to the holiday season. Yesterday, we left the Triumph in New Orleans with the conclusion that the "Elegant Night" is really a joke on Carnival. Out of 3,500 passengers on board (1,100 of them children), only about five percent made any attempt to dress well in the dining room on "Elegant Night." Most were in jeans, shorts, T-shirts, and other very casual attire. I even saw some folks wearing flip-flops and one fello wearing gym sweats to the dining room. I did see about 20 men and boys wearing a tux. My son and I were two of this 20 or so. My wife and our two daughters were dressed appropriate for a formal dinner. This was really a let down to our family and is not what we expected. I know that many of you out there like this new super-casual dress standard, but it is not for us and we will be booking our future cruises on more upscale cruise lines where the passengers dress up more. I just cancelled a NCL booking this morning as we did not want to encounter the same lax dress code as we saw on Carnival. This is an FYI to all those new cruisers looking to book future trips. I will be booking Celebrity to replace the cancelled NCL booking.

You do realize that you did not have to look at anyone that was not dressed to your standards right? I know I don't and the fact that there are many in the dining room that choose not to dress up, has not effect on the fact that I am enjoying being in my suit.

I mean seriously, people so full of themselves that while on vacation we judge those around us. Seems like some people need to find a life, or at least a hobby and stop worrying so much about what other people are doing.

Good grief! :confused:

After purchasing a new tux for my son (he outgrew his old one) and spending nearly a $1,000 total for new fancy dresses for my wife and two teenage daughters for the two elegant nights (must have a different dress for each night), it is disappointing when your daughters comment that they feel out of place in their new beautiful dresses when they are surrounded by jeans, shorts, and t-shirts. Our trip wasn't ruined, it just wasn't what was expected. I will note that our cabin steward was fantastic (called us each by our name and was always so friendly) and the food in the main dining room was very good.

By the way... NO ONE can MAKE you feel any way that you do not want to. Your feeling are controlled by you

I wish I knew how to post links on here from other postings, but I did a search of the OP's other posts and found something very interesting. I was able to copy and paste it and here it is

We were on the same cruise on the Summit and dined at the Normandie on three nights. On the first night, one man attempted to enter the Normandie for dinner wearing shorts and a simple shirt. I was pleased to see that the restaruant staff informed the man that shorts were not appropriate attire for the Normandie and he was denied entry. I don't know if he returned later wearing appropriate dress. I overheard him inquire if a jacket was required. My wife and I dressed up on both formal nights (Tuxedo and long gown) and semi-formal for the other nights in Normandie. We too were disappointed to see how people dress in the MDR. One fellow sitting at a table next to us in the MDR wore a different hat each evening at the table and never removed it. Most evenings he wore a basic colored T-shirt and plain jeans (and the variety of hats).

We wish Celebrity would go back to the Formal, Semi-Formal, and Casual dress codes. There doesn't seem to be much if any dress code enforcement in the MDR.

If he's going to complain about how they dress on Celebrity, I doubt if he's going to be happy anywhere, but that's my opinion. I sincerely do hope the OP finds a cruiseline he is happy with how they dress.

OK, so even X can't make him happy? I got the gist from the OP that he was more of a Cunard person but now I am sure of it. In fact, I am beginning to doubt that even Seabourn or Crystal would make this guy happy. As for his kids, children are not born with certain ideals or values. They are TAUGHT. I feel REALLY sorry for his kids because he has made it very clear that he is teaching them that they are above everyone else and those who do or think differently should be judged accordingly. How incredibly sad for those kids.

I've been cruising since 1984. Back then, and even in the early 90s, I would wear long gowns to dinner, even on the short cruises, because that is what the majority of cruisers were doing. DH had a tux and wore it. Back then, I also had a HUGE cruise wardrobe because they also had theme nights, such as Caribbean night, Western night, etc. and just about every passenger would adhere to those themes. Today, things have changed and cruise wear has become very casual. Thank God, I say!! It seems to me that if someone wants to dress to the nines, that is certainly their prerogative (we do dress though not in black tie as that is not Carnival's dress code), but those that seem to want to whine and complain about what others are wearing have not moved forward with the times, IMHO. They seem stuck back in the "day" when just about everyone was in a dark suit and the majority were in black tie (with women in long, formal gowns--I had about 10 of them back then). The simple fact is, that is NOT what cruising is about these days, except maybe on the $$$$ lines. Certainly not on the mass lines to be sure. If these people who are worried about and judging what others are wearing at dinner would just get with this decade (ok, and let go of their need to be superior might help too), I think they would be much happier cruisers without having to carry the weight of being the fashion police.

Just my $.02

Like someone said earlier, it's the ambiance that people enjoy in the MDR. It's set up to be like a fancy restaurant and people should dress accordingly.

I always thought a nice shirt and slacks are fine.

If you come to the dining room in shorts and t-shirts then you should get that type of service.

I would bring you your lobster on a paper plate.

OK, so even X can't make him happy? I got the gist from the OP that he was more of a Cunard person but now I am sure of it. In fact, I am beginning to doubt that even Seabourn or Crystal would make this guy happy. As for his kids, children are not born with certain ideals or values. They are TAUGHT. I feel REALLY sorry for his kids because he has made it very clear that he is teaching them that they are above everyone else and those who do or think differently should be judged accordingly. How incredibly sad for those kids.

I've been cruising since 1984. Back then, and even in the early 90s, I would wear long gowns to dinner, even on the short cruises, because that is what the majority of cruisers were doing. DH had a tux and wore it. Back then, I also had a HUGE cruise wardrobe because they also had theme nights, such as Caribbean night, Western night, etc. and just about every passenger would adhere to those themes. Today, things have changed and cruise wear has become very casual. Thank God, I say!! It seems to me that if someone wants to dress to the nines, that is certainly their prerogative (we do dress though not in black tie as that is not Carnival's dress code), but those that seem to want to whine and complain about what others are wearing have not moved forward with the times, IMHO. They seem stuck back in the "day" when just about everyone was in a dark suit and the majority were in black tie (with women in long, formal gowns--I had about 10 of them back then). The simple fact is, that is NOT what cruising is about these days, except maybe on the $$$$ lines. Certainly not on the mass lines to be sure. If these people who are worried about and judging what others are wearing at dinner would just get with this decade (ok, and let go of their need to be superior might help too), I think they would be much happier cruisers without having to carry the weight of being the fashion police.

Just my $.02

I wonder how far they want to take it back to the old days way of doing things.

I remember when I was 7 going to a fair they had put up by the road. All the men, including my dad, had on a suit and tie.

When they first started building those huge malls, we used to dress in the best clothes we had to go shopping.

It all seems a bit silly now.

I wonder how far they want to take it back to the old days way of doing things.

I remember when I was 7 going to a fair they had put up by the road. All the men, including my dad, had on a suit and tie.

When they first started building those huge malls, we used to dress in the best clothes we had to go shopping.

It all seems a bit silly now.

Remember when we also used to "dress up" to fly? I can only speak for me, but I am so thankful that flying and cruising are much more casual now. I used to hate to have to get all dolled up to fly--how uncomfortable was THAT??!!

again, i wonder how many of those who say they don't care how others dress, would eat in a room with 4 gray walls, no wall or window furnishings, and florescent lights.

it's all aesthetics.

As long as I am getting the service and food that I get on Carnival, the surroundings are irrelevant to me. Some fuss and whine about the Bacchus dining room on the Miracle because of the "grapes". Personally, I love it, but know the food would taste the same if the walls were grey. Surroundings, like dress, do not make or break an experience for me. Give me yummy food anywhere and it's still yummy food.

The point to the whole debate is that each person/family has a preference for how they want to dress/act/experience/ etc on a cruise and has the right to do exactly what they prefer. And fortunately there are various types of cruises that cater to pretty much every individual's tastes. So, the OP is correct to decide that one cruise line is not suitable for him and his family, but another cruise line is more suitable for them.

The fact that he chose to come on to the Carnival forum on Cruise Critic and announce his complaint and decision is simply because he can. That's what Cruise Critic is all about, imo. Reading all the various views of other people is how everyone learns and decides for themselves what they want to do.

Isn't the Internet great?! ;):D

I agree.

To be honest, I was pretty upset when the formal night went down the drain...but now I am loving the casualness simply because packing is easier and with airline baggage costing extra $$, having less weight/space in the luggage is a perk.

There is no reason for people to dress like slobs however and CCL tends to be a little too lenient with some folks.

A lot of people condition themselves to see only what they want to see. :)

So very true!!!

By the way... NO ONE can MAKE you feel any way that you do not want to. Your feeling are controlled by you

Also true!

again' date=' i wonder how many of those who say they don't care how others dress, would eat in a room with 4 gray walls, no wall or window furnishings, and florescent lights.

it's all aesthetics.[/quote']

Absolutely!!

If the Op wants formal on their cruise, then they are right to want to go to another line. Why people take this as a personal attack I have NO freaking clue.

Celebrity may not be as formal as they used to be, however, they still draw a crowd that dresses (for the most part) more formally than passengers on CCL. If that's what the OP wants, why can't he have that?? :rolleyes:

I agree totally with the post above..it is about asthetics/ambiance. I don't need a room full of tuxes to be comfortable, BUT I really don't like seeing people in sweats, wife-beaters (I hate that term btw...) and baseball caps (this really irks me)

To each his own...

We were on the Triumph last month and didn't see anybody wearing the clothes you described. Everybody had at least shirts and ties on. Never saw jeans or seeat pants in the dining room. There was a family with 4 young boys sitting next to us, and they all had on matching Hawaiian shirts, with Dad to match. They were really cute! I'm sure their "formal"picture looked great.

Archived