Elegant/Formal Night Kaput on Carnival

OneNewTexan

I've posted on this subject before, and I can honestly see both sides. Reason to enforce formal night is because it's FORMAL NIGHT! It's not fair to others who want the elegance of cruises that so many come like they're headed to the beach.

Reasons to not enforce it is the day and age we live in. People don't even dress up for church anymore. You see many sweats or shorts in church. Also, the heat of the caribbean makes ties and such very uncomfortable. Look at the Paul Guigan in the south pacific. Very expensive ship to be on. Elegant night consists of aloha shirts and slacks.

Last but not least, to pack formal wear for a whole family means the added cost of checked in luggage. If not for my formal wear in one suitcase and my beach equipment in another(snorkeling,extra towels, sun block etc.), we could easily get by with all carry on.

Solution? Why not, on the ships that have two dining rooms, make one formal on two nights and semi on the other nights, STRICTLY ENFORCED. The other one can be casual the entire 7 nights. You pick your dining room ahead (just like you do with dining times).

Hey Carnival, I expect a free cruise out of this(for a family of four). I got a few thousand witnesses that it was my idea.

Hard to imagine that you would let something so minor as a stupid dress code to make you go to another cruiseline for alot more money.I am cruising on the Triumph on April 23rd,you have serious issues.Good luck with your future endeavors on another cruiseline,you deserve to get bashed on here.

Do you realize that the term "dress code" is of fairly recent invention. It started to be used in the 1970s about the same time as Visa and MasterCard (then known as BankAmericard and Master Charge) grew to wide availability.

What is your source for that information?

After reading this entire thread, I have come to the conclusion that I would rather be overdressed than underdressed...

...Because I don't think I have ever seen anyone post something like this: "OMG, you should have SEEN this woman on my last cruise! She was soooooo overdressed and tooooo classy in an elegant dress with gorgeous sparkling jewelry and beautiful hair and attractive makeup! She really should have not dressed up so much."

Removing tongue from cheek now. ;)

I think you may be happier on a Celebrity or Holland America cruise. We are trying them all and have enjoyed them all. I will say that both of the above do have more of a dress code and I did find the food to be a little better BUT that did not stop me from enjoying my other cruises.

I'm sure you enjoyed your cruise on the Carnival Triumph and was just shocked that so many kids would be going on spring break? I don't drink but but I don't let it bother me that others on the ship do. What I get out of a cruise is what I put into one.

I think you will enjoy Celebrity or Princess or Holland America~we did.

I was also on this cruise. While I took clothing with me to attend elegant night, I decided I did not want to get dressed up and decided to eat in the Lido. I think I am glad because I may have ruined your evening by not dressing up to your standards. Since I did not eat in the MDR on elegant night, I don't feel I can comment on what was worn in the dining room that evening.

However, I must say, I did eat in the dining room on the other nights and was quite impressed with what I saw as the level of dress. I saw many, many very nicely dressed young ladies. I remember thinking that many of them looked like they were dressed for elegant night each evening. I find it amazing that these young people that dressed so nicely on casual nights would have dressed so poorly on elegant night. Now, maybe there were people there that were not so nicely dressed. To tell you the truth, I didn't really pay much attention to what most were wearing. But I am aware that on the whole, I thought most people were dressed very appropriately.

bringing a tux on a cruise is just not feasible for many of us because frankly that's not the way we like to travel. to get your knickers in a twist about the way others were dressed while they ate with you seems like a quite passe notion about social decorum. as disrespected as you feel, consider how those at whom you may have given a cross look or scoffed feel -- justifiably upset. good riddance, enjoy vastly overpaying for the chance to show off your absurdly priced clothing.

Do churches have a written dress code like Carnival?

I was simply refering to how things have changed over the years. 30 years ago on back you would never show up to church without wearing a at least a collard shirt. 20 years ago you would at least wear a polo shirt. 10 years ago you'd at least wear levi pants. Nowadays, it's not uncommon to wear shorts or sweat pants with a tee shirt. It's a different code of conduct we all live by. Not judging, just observing.

My point was you pretty much better accept it cause that's the way it is. The only time the youngins will dress up is when they go clubbin.

So basically, if you want to dress up for elegant night, do so (we always do), but don't get upset if not everybody else is also.

I was simply refering to how things have changed over the years. 30 years ago on back you would never show up to church without wearing a at least a collard shirt. 20 years ago you would at least wear a polo shirt. 10 years ago you'd at least wear levi pants. Nowadays, it's not uncommon to wear shorts or sweat pants with a tee shirt. It's a different code of conduct we all live by. Not judging, just observing.

My point was you pretty much better accept it cause that's the way it is. The only time the youngins will dress up is when they go clubbin.

So basically, if you want to dress up for elegant night, do so (we always do), but don't get upset if not everybody else is also.

A bunch more than 30 years ago, I did. At summer camp they would bus us to the religion of our choice. Tee shirts and shorts were all we had. I know God didn't care and even the various congregations welcomed us and didn't judge us by the clothes we wore.

I do give you credit for your wisdom and post!

Reason to enforce formal night is because it's FORMAL NIGHT!

Carnival discontinued the idea of formal nights several years ago now. The "elegant" night they have now has a lower dress standard and is not "formal" by any means.

bringing a tux on a cruise is just not feasible for many of us because frankly that's not the way we like to travel. to get your knickers in a twist about the way others were dressed while they ate with you seems like a quite passe notion about social decorum. as disrespected as you feel, consider how those at whom you may have given a cross look or scoffed feel -- justifiably upset. good riddance, enjoy vastly overpaying for the chance to show off your absurdly priced clothing.

I'm pretty sure no one has written that only a tux is acceptable attire.

But if I had to cruise where 100% of passengers were those that wore a tux or a classy suit in MDR

or

100% made up of those who wore T-Shirts on the elegant nights,

I know who I'd wish to travel with. (Hint - Doesn't include baseball caps with rude signage).:D

Then don't get upset when people don't follow the written rules elsewhere on the ship, if you think that just because attitudes have changed that the rules on board should just be ignored if you don't like them.

Carnival discontinued the idea of formal nights several years ago now. The "elegant" night they have now has a lower dress standard and is not "formal" by any means.

No, that is why it's called "Cruise Elegant Night"

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2010/04/08/what-to-wear.aspx

If it was a "Formal" night than a tux would be appropriate as formal and black tie are pretty much interchangeable.

Do churches have a written dress code like Carnival?

Nah, it's cultural. For instance I live in a mountain/ski resort community, and we must wear our snow boots and tromp through the slush to get into church. But most of the women bring an extra pair of nice shoes or boots and change out of their snow boots in the ladies' room. On Sunday mornings during winter the restroom looks like a shoe store!

The word "class" is fraught with all kinds of connotations, both positive and negative. Class is one of those elusive qualities which you either innately have, or will probably never be capable of comprehending. It's basically summed up by the French phrase "savoir faire" which loosely translates into "knowing what is appropriate" and acting accordingly.

The people with the least class always scream the loudest about people who do have it, and accuse them of being snobs, elitists, prudes, uptight, stupid, out of touch with reality and arrogant. It's sort of the same principal as seen with criminals... they can always justify even their most heinous actions and almost always see themselves as victims who were forced by an evil society to break the laws and rules.

"Class" is being bludgeoned to death by people who are incapable of grasping the concept, much less realizing the damage they're doing to our society and social mores. In the end, it will bite us all in the derriere.

These threads which defend chairhogs, linebreakers, the people who "reserve" rows of seats in the theaters, and who advocate people being able to wear anything they want on a cruise, regardless of how tacky and classless it might be, are proof of the dire prognosis that The Dumbing of America is upon us and is a real threat and is escalating towards creating a future state of cultural anarchy.

I have spoken. :D

The word "class" is fraught with all kinds of connotations' date=' both positive and negative. Class is one of those elusive qualities which you either innately have, or will probably never be capable of comprehending. It's basically summed up by the French phrase "savoir faire" which loosely translates into "knowing what is appropriate" and acting accordingly.

The people with the least class always scream the loudest about people who do have it, and accuse them of being snobs, elitists, prudes, uptight, stupid, out of touch with reality and arrogant. It's sort of the same principal as seen with criminals... they can always justify even their most heinous actions and almost always see themselves as victims who were forced by an evil society to break the laws and rules.

"Class" is being bludgeoned to death by people who are incapable of grasping the concept, much less realizing the damage they're doing to our society and social mores. In the end, it will bite us all in the derriere.

These threads which defend chairhogs, linebreakers, the people who "reserve" rows of seats in the theaters, and who advocate people being able to wear anything they want on a cruise, regardless of how tacky and classless it might be, are proof of the dire prognosis that The Dumbing of America is upon us and is a real threat and is escalating towards creating a future state of cultural anarchy.

I have spoken. :D

I wasn't going to comment anymore on this thread but I couldn't stop myself.

Did you ever think that people don't care what others wear because they choose not to be concerned with things they can't control. People are going to dress how they want regardless of the tons of posts here about it. The cruise line is the host and if the host allows it, complaining about it isn't going to make a difference. Hence the I don't care how others dress.

The reality is that if the majority of people wanted to get dress up why has formal night turned into elegant night? Because they realize as times change less and less people want to dress up.

And just because you wear fancy clothes doesn't equal class. Nor does it dictate behavior. I live in Florida very close to the beaches. Casual is the lifestyle here. People wear flip flops year round, to restaurants, weddings etc. Different parts of the world, different lifestyles.

I live in Florida very close to the beaches. Casual is the lifestyle here. People wear flip flops year round, to restaurants, weddings etc. Different parts of the world, different lifestyles.

There are plenty of places down here with dress codes and will not admit you if you don't adhere. Yes overall its a very relaxed State to live in but some places have standards folks with some class actually adhere to the rules of said establishments and dress up a little.

If there is a stated dress code, there is absolutely NO reason to not attempt to meet the code. No good reason at all.

Hi All, I've been watching this Thread for a while and have read every entry. I honestly wasn't going to post because I was nervous about others replies. I figured no one knows where I live(LOL)(really just kidding). Here goes. My husbnd and I have cruised a bit(not all are listed it doesn't matter that much how often)We love to bring our fancy clothes(yes he wears a Tux)on Formal/Elegant nights. We feel those are the best times to get really nice pictures. Neither one of us has an opportunity to dress up on a regular basis, it's fun. It does not effect us one way or another what anyone else wears. We will not be bothered if our tablemates dress up or down. We dress up because we like to. We have fun doing it. We say to each his own. We're going to have a good time any way. COME ON ITS A CRUISE VACATION ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!

There are plenty of places down here with dress codes and will not admit you if you don't adhere. Yes overall its a very relaxed State to live in but some places have standards folks with some class actually adhere to the rules of said establishments and dress up a little.

If there is a stated dress code, there is absolutely NO reason to not attempt to meet the code. No good reason at all.

Please reread my post. Is "class" the word of the day? Number one class isn't dictated by dress. Number two where did I say that people shouldn't follow a dress code. The thing people can't accept is that the cruise lines allow the casual dress and no amount of bickering and name calling here is going to make that different. Nor will you be able to convince anyone to change their mind.

As I have said before, these threads are like rocking chairs, you're moving but you aren't getting anywhere.

Archived