Okay...need help with lingo... FOD?

Countin' Down

I'm new to this whole cruise thing. My partner and I are going on Royal Caribbean, Serenade of the Seas on March 26th. I've heard about FOD and assume from using my context clues that it's got something to do with finding each other on cruises. I have nothing against straight folks, but would like to find out where the GLBT people hang out. We're from Columbus, Ohio and are used to acceptance. I certainly want the same on the cruise. Any thoughts?

FOD = Friends of Dorothy, a standard for a gay... get together. Look in your daily cruise news to find out where, once you are on board. If you don't see one and feel enough "friends" are on board, contact the cruise director (CD) and politely request if one would be possible. Several threads discuss this topic.

Hope this helps.

If you want to schedule a Friends of Dorothy gathering on RCCL, I hope you have better luck than we did:mad: . First, don't assume somebody ELSE will request a meeting to be scheduled: do it yourself. Before boarding, create a short type-written page such as:

----------------------

Please schedule a "Friends of Dorothy" gathering as soon as possible during this cruise, preferably no later than the third day of the itenerary, in a venue of your choosing.

If possible, it would be nice to schedule the meeting just prior to the first sitting when most passengers will have returned from shore excursions.

Thank you very much,

----------------------

...and don't take 'no' for an answer! One Cruise Director on an RCCL cruise said it was against company policy, but they have since assured me that it is NOT against company policy. Your best bet is to request the meeting online at RCCL's web site and/or by snail mail, well in advance of the cruise so they can't use the excuse that you didn't give them sufficient time to edit the "Compass" - the ship's daily publication that's placed in each stateroom each day. Then, IN ADDITION to previous request(s), deliver that typewritten request to the Cruise Director's counter onboard immediately after you're checked in.

The only FOD I've attended was a very informal get-together in one of the bars (Celebrity Mercury). There are no percs, no freebies, just nice folks gathering to introduce themselves and maybe have a drink before dinner. It's a nice way to meet others you'd like to invite to join your dinner table or go on shore excursions with.

Next time, take a Celebrity cruise: they're owned by the same parent company but are MUCH more gay-friendly:D . Let me know how it goes.

Joe and Michael

JoeAndMichael@bigfoot.com

Hey Joe & Michael,

I have a funny feeling if I tried that with Carnival they wouldn't care. This is my first sailing with them and my third straight cruise in my life. I was fairly excited until I had a recent run in with putting in a special request for the number of people I wanted to sit at my table, they had me seated for 10! I asked that to be changed to a table for four.

I'm traveling with mom this time around so I'm hoping that it's fun no matter what. She'll be off preaching to the choir while I'm off having fun in the disco. I hear that Carnival through several postings does not do FOD meetings. What a shame considering they are the fun ships. If they don't watch it, RCCL will whip their booties into the hereafter. After all the gay dollars are much easier to spend now aren't they???

Maybe I should try R Family Vacations? LOL

~Jake :)

I've heard of Friends of Dorothy, but just didn't make the connection. Anyway, thanks for the input on requesting a FOD well in advance. I'm hoping for a good experience on Royal Caribbean... with or without a FOD get-together. My partner and I requested late seating at a large table. We're all about meeting people, straight or otherwise. Just wanting to have a positive experience, meet some fun people, and relax.

Hey Joe & Michael,

I have a funny feeling if I tried that with Carnival they wouldn't care. This is my first sailing with them and my third straight cruise in my life. ~Jake :)

Good News Jake....I was on the Carnival Imagination last month and they had several FOD pget togethers listed in the Carnival Capers. This was only a 5 day sailing and there were at least three days that had FOD get togethers listed.

Also on the Inspiration last October there were two FOD get togethers in a 7 day cruise.

As a veteran cruiser with nearly 30 cruises under my belt, it is pretty clear that cruise lines are starting to realize that there is a large market segment out there in the gay community.

I think if we could get the ship line to post a FOD meeting with “ fun for alternate life styles” or something of that nature. I here so many people ask, “Who’s that Dorothy, she has lot of friends”. But I’m the same way. I had been on about 10 cruises before asking who is Bill W. Every cruise I had been on had a “Friends of Bill W.” meeting everyday. Until one day, with cocktail in hand I ask. And was told quickly it was an AA meeting. Our meetings on Celebrity have always been at 10pm in the piano bar, every night. Celebrity is very gay friendly. To sum this up, I think the more gay people that go on straight cruises will learn FOD. We have never had anything said to us or had anyone disapprove of our presents on any ship. I chat on three cruise message boards and meet most everyone on the straight boards and have never had anything negative said to us.

Next cruise May 7th Island Princess and Oct 22nd NCL Dream.

Happy Sailing John

Good News Jake....I was on the Carnival Imagination last month and they had several FOD pget togethers listed in the Carnival Capers. This was only a 5 day sailing and there were at least three days that had FOD get togethers listed.

Also on the Inspiration last October there were two FOD get togethers in a 7 day cruise.

As a veteran cruiser with nearly 30 cruises under my belt, it is pretty clear that cruise lines are starting to realize that there is a large market segment out there in the gay community.

Graham:

That's GREAT NEWS! I'm very pleased to hear this development; just another example of how Carnival is SLOWLY trying to change their image.

See, things CAN change!

I must admit they offer a great value in all their cruise products, although I've noticed lately that the pricing on their new ships are at a much higher pricepoint. I read in another thread somewhere that Carnival wants to price their cruises at a 5* level - although I don't think their product is that caliber.

We've requested one for our Navigator of the Seas cruise on Royal Caribbean. We're six weeks out still so I will be surprised if they try to use that excuse. Thanks for the tip on asking the cruise director. We'll do that right after we board (ok, after we book spa appointments).

Archived