Cigar smoke on QV

Debbers

There were smoking rooms in numerous hotels in Paris and London that I looked into before our cruise on the QE to Norway in May, but my requirement is for hotel rooms with a balcony where I can smoke a cigar outside. Both of the hotels I chose (after considerable internet searching and confirmations from the hotels) were able to accomodate me very nicely. I hope that there will always be accomodations for smokers, but I do know that the trend is going against that, and I will have to play by new rules.

Regarding cigars on Cunard ships, the new 2012 "Cunard World Voyages" brochure gets more specific. No smoking of any kind in the staterooms, and in regard to cigars and pipes, "not [permitted] on stateroom balconies". I have contacted Cunard shoreside and received various, vague answers on whether this will apply to voyages in 2011. I've also had my agent contact them about this matter. My conclusion is that for 2011, smoking is allowed in cabins and on balconies, presumably until 2012.

If, after boarding, after my numerous efforts to get a straight answer before final payment, I am hit with a new revision that I can't smoke my cigars on my balcony, I am going to feel very misled by Cunard. I can't believe Cunard would want to alienate its valuable customers this way.

There were smoking rooms in numerous hotels in Paris and London that I looked into before our cruise on the QE to Norway in May, but my requirement is for hotel rooms with a balcony where I can smoke a cigar outside. Both of the hotels I chose (after considerable internet searching and confirmations from the hotels) were able to accomodate me very nicely. I hope that there will always be accomodations for smokers, but I do know that the trend is going against that, and I will have to play by new rules.

Regarding cigars on Cunard ships, the new 2012 "Cunard World Voyages" brochure gets more specific. No smoking of any kind in the staterooms, and in regard to cigars and pipes, "not [permitted] on stateroom balconies". I have contacted Cunard shoreside and received various, vague answers on whether this will apply to voyages in 2011. I've also had my agent contact them about this matter. My conclusion is that for 2011, smoking is allowed in cabins and on balconies, presumably until 2012.

If, after boarding, after my numerous efforts to get a straight answer before final payment, I am hit with a new revision that I can't smoke my cigars on my balcony, I am going to feel very misled by Cunard. I can't believe Cunard would want to alienate its valuable customers this way.

This will probably come into effect after the Dry Dock in December

I for one hope that the sale of cigarettes, cigars, tobacco, etc; is never completely banned, I don't think I could afford it. The estimated tax revenue from all smoking related sources, this includes the tax and VAT on the sales themselves, the taxes paid by the tobacco companies, the tax paid by the employees, the revenue from the Vehicle Excise Duty and fuel whilst distributing them, etc; etc; is about £30 Billion, the cost to the taxpayer to treat smoking related diseases is £7 Billion, that leaves the treasury £23 Billion in pocket. Now if this isn't paid by the kind smokers guess who will end up paying the shortfall, yep, you and me. So carry on puffing away all you smokers, I can't afford for you to stop!;)

p.s. Obesity cost the health service an estimated £8 Billion last year, and food is zero rated for VAT, so the smokers are paying for their treatment as well, nip out all you smokers and light another up please I feel a chocolate biscuit coming on!

I for one hope that the sale of cigarettes, cigars, tobacco, etc; is never completely banned, I don't think I could afford it. The estimated tax revenue from all smoking related sources, this includes the tax and VAT on the sales themselves, the taxes paid by the tobacco companies, the tax paid by the employees, the revenue from the Vehicle Excise Duty and fuel whilst distributing them, etc; etc; is about £30 Billion, the cost to the taxpayer to treat smoking related diseases is £7 Billion, that leaves the treasury £23 Billion in pocket. Now if this isn't paid by the kind smokers guess who will end up paying the shortfall, yep, you and me. So carry on puffing away all you smokers, I can't afford for you to stop!;)

p.s. Obesity cost the health service an estimated £8 Billion last year, and food is zero rated for VAT, so the smokers are paying for their treatment as well, nip out all you smokers and light another up please I feel a chocolate biscuit coming on!

I for one am quite happy for them to foot the bill for NHS, but dont forget that Chocolate biscuits are around 9% VAT, and a lot of food does have the full 19% on it, but your right carry on smoking, :)

You are absolutely correct of course and this has been a problem for some time now with Cunard not knowing their shoreside from their ship side so to speak, and not just with the smoking issue.

My husband and l were seriously considering a cruise this year on Queen Elizabeth, but are now having second thoughts.

It is thanks to the learned folk on here like rob 6528 that makes us all aware of current policies on board.

So many thanks to you rob for keeping us well informed. Keep up the good work.

Best

Judy

You are absolutely correct of course and this has been a problem for some time now with Cunard not knowing their shoreside from their ship side so to speak, and not just with the smoking issue.

My husband and l were seriously considering a cruise this year on Queen Elizabeth, but are now having second thoughts.

It is thanks to the learned folk on here like rob 6528 that makes us all aware of current policies on board.

So many thanks to you rob for keeping us well informed. Keep up the good work.

Best

Judy

Thankyou msdeva, but really this info is on the internet and easy to find or in this case the Cunard brochure,I am a non smoker, I cant say that I like people smoking too close to me, but I have found that most, not all smokers are considerate and I dont have a huge problem with this, I would not like to see it banned and to be honest it does fund the NHS, this well known.

If it is banned banded on Cunard and it looks as if it will be, then I think mor eplaces inside that both smokers and non smokers are happy with is a must, we have all talked about this beofre, sadly a few tried to make it worse and the threads then get stopped.

So I hope we can all chat about it for a while longer at least and lets hope that Cubard come up with a better plan:)

Archived