If we don't save enough points?

We are hoping to save enough aeroplan pts to fly to san juan for a cruise.

If we don't save enough points for that we will have enough points to fly to Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Port Canaveral, Miami etc and would be able to drive to New Jersey, Boston or Baltimore.

So if we cannot do the southern caribbean - where would you cruise out of and where would you go? We live in canada.

I would love to hear suggestions so I can investigate a back up plan!

If we don't save enough points for that we will have enough points to fly to Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Port Canaveral, Miami etc and would be able to drive to New Jersey, Boston or Baltimore.

So if we cannot do the southern caribbean - where would you cruise out of and where would you go? We live in canada.

There are actually some cruises to the southern carribean that sail out of Fort Lauderdale.. I don't know if RCI has any, but I have seen some listed perhaps Princess? Otherwise, what we have done in the past is use points for one ticket and pay the diffference for the other. If I lived close enough to drive to New Jersey I would try a Bermuda cruise, as I have never been there. The only thing is they seem to have terrible weather in that port during the time we usually cruise.

We live in Boston and fly to either Florida or Puerto Rico depending on what makes the most sense for us. Southern Caribbean out of SJ is my favorite, but we're doing an Eastern out of Ft Lauderdale this summer and haven't shed a tear over it yet. ;)

I've seen you posting questions on here and I like your attitude. Between that and the time you've put into your research, if you get yourself anywhere near a departure port and onto an RCI ship, I'm convinced you'll have a great time.

what time of year?

Berumda is great for a summer cruise (or a few weeks before/ after summer).

Bahamas or Caribbean from the northeastern cities are nice at those times, too, but in winter it takes a while to get to warm temperatures from the northeast. driving might get dicy then, too.

cruising from Florida would be the closest approximation to your dream of a S Caribbean cruise. though I'll do any route, I tend to like southern or eastern Carib better than western; others will say the opposite. With my preferences, I'd select Fort Lauderdale or Miami as a back up plan.

In my opinion the southern Caribbean routes are the best. Almost all of RCI's southern routes originate in San Juan. If there is any way to swing the flight to San Juan, that is what I would try to do. If you can't make it to San Juan, I would then try for an Eastern route out of one of the Florida ports. Check out the ships/itineraries and see which one interests you the most. Florida's ports all have their pluses and minuses. I would base my decision solely on the ship/itinerary, not the city of departure.

You could always cruise the Humber or Credit...

(I grew up in Mississauga)

I like the Eastern route a little better then the Western. I really like St. Thomas and St. Maarten which are hit are the majority of Eastern itins. The southern route is really the best for me anyways, with islands like Antigua, Tortola and Dominica. I think some of these islands are on some Eastern itins on Princess, don't remember seeing them on Royal but to be honest I haven't really looked. If you want to sail Royal then I would pick Eastern but either way I doubt you will be disappointed.

Also, we are just north of Mississauga and I don't know if you have looked into driving to Buffalo and flying from there but it saved us a couple hundred dollars both this year and last year when flying into San Juan so that might be option to consider for the southern routes.

Growing up in Mississauga I have already toured the credit river via tire tube, was even chased by a water snake! When I lived my years in Rexdale was well acquainted with the Humber river, especially when my younger brother fell through the ice - it was kinda funny he has one of those one piece snowsuits on - he completely floated looking like an oompa loompa!.

Yes I have been looking at the allure and oasis - they come highly recommended! Only problem with the san juan is a I can't look at ships yet - royal told me they may switch ships by 2013!

If you can take the time off, the 11 night southern Caribbean sailings on Jewel of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale are an excellent value compared to the larger ships. We just returned from the cruise and for a balcony stateroom it was $100/day per person for 11 nights. Not only was it a deal, it was a fantastic cruise and we really enjoyed the Jewel of the Seas.

Archived