Which Side of Solstice, please?

VivianK

We are booking the 12 night mediterranean and greek isles trip on the Solstice. Can anyone tell us which side of ship would give us the best views coming into or docked at the ports?

Thank you so much for your help

Vivian

No way to know in advance; ships do not dock in the same position at all ports. On some ports the starboard side will likely face port and some ports the port side. Even at the same port, the ship might dock in a different direction from one sailing to the next. All sorts of factors are involved in which way a ship docks. Also, many ports are in industrial areas, so the side not facing the port may be more scenic. I would not advise you to worry about port vs. starboard when selecting your stateroom. The one exception would be if you are sensitive to cigarette smoke, do not book a low deck balcony room near mid ship on the port side as you will have a public smoking area underneath.

We have done 4 Med cruises in the past few years (X and RCCI). All in Port side balconey cabins. I enjoy sitting on my balconey watching folks come back on board. we were on the "hump" on our last Solstice cruise and we were right above the gang plank and had "dock side" seats.

Rome/Florence/Napels are all pretty industrial areas where you dock. Messina is lovely from either side (and if you are sailing through the straights of Messina at night, don't miss it! You'll want to be up top) . Athens and Istanbul are also very industrial. Venice dockside is no great view, but during sail away be sure to be up top where you can see either side -- Venice sail away is one of the most amazing sights! Mykonosis is generally nicer view away from the dock, but you may end up anchored and tendered anyway. Rhodes view is lovely from on-board, but "side" depends upon which dock the ship ends up on. Santorini is lovely from where ever you are (tendered). Corfu, Split, Dubrovnik - no knowing which way you'll face (our "view" in Split was truely depressing, but it was fun watching several pax running up late. Kotokolan was a lovely little sea side town port side both times we were there, but starboard had a nice view as well. Kusadasi was nice from either side.

I'm sure I forgot a few places -- but there really are no "sure things" and even if you dock in one direction sail in and sail out will give you different views.

Archived