Camp Carnival age groups, can my son be bumped down?

AshleyShimp

We are sailing on the Inspiration next week with our 7 yo DD, and 9 yo DS. I just noticed that the age groups are 5-8, and 9-11. My son is 9, and very well mannered/behaved, but has always been more comfortable around younger kids. Do you think they would have a problem with a 9 yo going into the 5-8 group? Also, I just read that 9 and up can sign themselves in and out of camp carnival. I've got mixed feelings about my 9 year old signing himself out.

Ashley

We are sailing on the Inspiration next week with our 7 yo DD, and 9 yo DS. I just noticed that the age groups are 5-8, and 9-11. My son is 9, and very well mannered/behaved, but has always been more comfortable around younger kids. Do you think they would have a problem with a 9 yo going into the 5-8 group? Also, I just read that 9 and up can sign themselves in and out of camp carnival. I've got mixed feelings about my 9 year old signing himself out.

Ashley

Ashley,

You have a very good chance of moving your son down but do you really think a 9 year old wants to be with 5 year olds??? He really would enjoy himself better in his own age group. Also... you have to sign a permission form for him to sign himself in and out of camp. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, then just don't sign the form...

Personally, I think let him try the 9 - 11 year old group for at least the first day before moving him down....Bet he loves it...

I don't know if they will let you go down.....They would not let my friend's child move up.....my son is 7 and our friend's kid is 5 (6 in a couple months) and she is really shy. She is a lot more comfortable being around my son since she knows him. We asked if she could go up with him but they said no. It ended up working out anyway because she had a blast in her own age group.

I'm glad to hear everyone had a great time in their correct age groups. We will try out the 9-11 and I'm sure he will have fun. In our neighborhood we have some bully kids who are a few years older, so my son usually plays with the younger kids. Just because the older kids in my neighborhood are bullies, doesn't mean that all older kids are bullies, but try explaining that to my son! :) Thanks for your help.

Ashley

My daughter is 15 and has already been on 6 cruises. She loves the kids programs and has never had a problem with bullying. She is somewhat reserved, but she has always makes friends and rushes off to the program every day every dinner. I can't remember what age she was when I let her sign herself out, but I definitely held my breath the first few times. Turns out her sense of direction on the ship is better than mine, and she does NOT talk to strangers other than kids in the kids program.

My 6 yr old granddaughter wanted to move down on the Victory last

month and they would not let her. It was for the best though.......she had a great time.

I would have went over the counselors head on that one. NOT all kids are emotionally able to accept higher age groups.

It is more enforceable to move down then move up in age groups. (liability etc,e tc. But moving down should not have been an issue with a 6 year old.

Maybe they did not allow it because they wanted to see how she was able to function in the older kid program. that 2-5 year old stuff was for babies. she might have been bored to tears.

Ashley: I suggest try him in the 9-11 program- The only time they really need your signutre is to particiapate in the ship wide scavenger hunt which is kept in the public areas and the kids are out in groups. If youdo not want him to sign him out then dont give the permisson-- and keep him with you while scavenger hunts are happening

I've been worried about this too. We're travelling with

An 8 year old girl

Two 11 year old boys

A 12 year old boy.

The 8/11 are bro/sis. 11/12 boys are brothers. Of the 4, the 12 year old is probably the most reserved/shy around strangers. I really think he's going to want to be with his brother/friend, who are only 14-15 months younger than him. 12 year old won't even be 12.5 yet. :)

Both our RCI Travel Agent and a random Carnival rep said they'd likely let him move down - but I don't have any guarantees. Hearing these comments do worry me a little.

I've been worried about this too. We're travelling with

An 8 year old girl

Two 11 year old boys

A 12 year old boy..

the 8 year old will be in the camp herself- the boys should be allowed to stay together BUT in the 9-11 program- the 2 11 year old will not be able to move up.

Hi, We have had luck in moving our son up a group when his birthday was a couple of months away (just shy of 6) because they had enough room and agreed.

That being said, you would be surprised at how well the kids acclimate in the various age groups. The counselors are all trained in child care and I have personally witnessed many of them interacting at all age levels very successfully and appropriately.

Most of the kids come to camp and are complete strangers to the others in their groups. The counselors use team building activities and other games to encourage interaction. By the end of the week, my son has always made new "friends" from all over the world.

Before you make any requests, give your child a chance in their proper age group and if there is a problem, you can take it from there.

I wish someone had taken me to kid's camp on a cruise ship when I was a child!

Have fun!

As with all things in life ... there are rules...and there are exceptions made ...

Camp Carnival's goal is to see that you and your family have a great time.

Will they move a child....the answer is MAYBE...

it depends on many factors.

1. How close is that child to the "age line". They MIGHT move an 8 year old up to the 9-11 IF that child is very close to being 9.

2. Is there other friends or family traveling with them. While this is NOT an automatic guarantee, again IF the child is very close to the age line...this can be a small part of the deciding factor.

3. How many kids are already in the age groups. IF one age group is maxing out, they are not going to add others to that group.

So I always tell people to go the the orientation and bring the kids...and ASK.

And IF the answer is no, please understand that there are very valid reasons for it.

One other thing that may be of reassurance where the concern about "bullies" comes in...

our son is now 19 and has Autism.

He has cruised 43 times with Carnival and the one consistantly amazing thing I have seen is the KINDNESS from the other kids towards him. Now our son is a likable kid. But we all know how kids can treat others who may be a little "different"...and I would say that 95% of the kids we have cruised with have been AWESOME.

From the guys high fiving our son when we are all walking down the Promenade to the girls calling out his name in the Atrium from several floors above just to say HI....

The staff of Camp Carnival has always been amazing as well.

Hope you have a WONDERFUL cruise.

Last year on the Liberty, I had a son in the younger group and a daughter in the older group. We too wondered about having our daughter bump down but they did just fine in their individual groups. They were usually in the same area, but doing different activities and had a blast.

We did give our daughter privileges to sign herself out with a clear agreement each day, whether she would sign herself out and meet us at the room or if we were going to pick her up at the Camp. There was one day that she got a little mixed up and went to the room when we weren't there, but we quickly connected with her with the help of the Carnival staff.

You know your son best. Do what feels right.

Archived