CC Lurker Finally Booked!! - Valor/General Questions

bernardch

Been lurking on CC for awhile. Sailed on the Pride out of Baltimore last year, but my only role in planning that cruise was to make sure we made it to the dock on time in order to board!

Just booked the Valor out of Miami on Oct 30 - Nov 6, 2011; now that I'm the one responsible for planning, I've learned a lot from lurking, but I still have a few questions. . .

What I've learned by lurking. . .

1. Fly in the day before. . .Check. . .Flying from Cleveland into FLL on 10/29.
  2. Arrange transport from hotel to pier...Check. . .Booked SAS Transport for 10/30.
  3. Sign up for the Roll Call. . .will do.
  4. Contact BV for "adult beverages" if needed. . .will do.
  5. Do not make a "Reserved" sign for a deck chair. . .:)
  6. Trip/Travel Insurance. . .book 3rd party instead of with Carnival. . .Use one of the websites recommeded on these boards. . .Check. . .Kind of. . .See question below.
  7. Take lots of pictures and post a review after the cruise. . .Check

Here's still what I still need to figure out. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Booked Southwest for the outbound leg (CLE-FLL) on 10/29, but they are not yet accepting reservations after November 4, and will not begin accepting for this time frame until May 26. Looking at serveral non-southwest possible returns, both from MIA and FLL. The ship is scheduled to dock at 8:00AM on Nov. 6. If we choose to fly back to CLE on Nov 6, what are the earliest flight times I should be considering leaving MIA? Leaving FLL?
  2. Trip Insurance. OK, I've got the cancellation/interupption, delay, baggage, medical expenses figured out. What's driving me nuts is the medical evacuation coverage. I can buy a policy with as little as $50m coverage to as much as $2mm coverage. Not wanting to overinsure, what's a realistic amount if they need to fly me back to the States for a medical emergency.
  3. A few weeks ago someone posted what they thought were the email address format to make reservations for the Chef's Table. I can't seem to locate that post. If someone could point to that thread, that would be great.

I'm sure I'll have some additional questions as we get closer, but I've learned a ton from just lurking the last year or so. Thanks in advance to all the frequent and not so frequent posters for all the information they provide.

We sail in about 220 days.

First of all, congratulations on your first post!

Many may tell you to go ahead and book a flight around noon or so, but if the ship is delayed by a full ship inspection by CBP (Customs and Border Protection)you may not make your flight. Anything after 1:30 is my comfort level.

Medical evac's could be quite costly - if there is not much difference in price you may want to go a bit higher than the 50K - but having never evacuated, not really sure - 2 sure seems like alot!

Chef's table can be booked through the Carnival site - if you go to the bottom of John Healds page for his blog, you will find a link for the steakhouse (if your ship has one) if not use the general link and place a request there. From everything I've heard they are quite good at getting straight back to you.

Enjoy your cruise............:)

If I have mispoken, I am sure others here can set you right!

First of all, congratulations on your first post!

Many may tell you to go ahead and book a flight around noon or so, but if the ship is delayed by a full ship inspection by CBP (Customs and Border Protection)you may not make your flight. Anything after 1:30 is my comfort level.

Medical evac's could be quite costly - if there is not much difference in price you may want to go a bit higher than the 50K - but having never evacuated, not really sure - 2 sure seems like alot!

Chef's table can be booked through the Carnival site - if you go to the bottom of John Healds page for his blog, you will find a link for the steakhouse (if your ship has one) if not use the general link and place a request there. From everything I've heard they are quite good at getting straight back to you.

Enjoy your cruise............:)

If I have mispoken, I am sure others here can set you right!

I have to second the what time you might want to book a return flight. There are too many "ifs" that can happen which could cause delays. I usually go with flights around 2. I'd rather be waiting around in an airport than rushing (or possibly missing) my flight

Congrats on your booking and good work on the 'research'.

While I am not sure about cost of a medical evac I would think it's more than $50K (but less the $2M?) - guess it depends on insurance cost and your comfort zone.

As mentioned I would contact the Valor Steakhouse to make your Chef's Table reservation - they should be able to help you out.

In regard to return flight - I agree that no earlier than noon - and again remember if you are flying out of FLL that's an addition 45 -60 mins to get there so you might want to fact that in.

Have sailed the Valor twice and loved it - you will have a great time! (check out my Valor review - see link below near signature!).

I usually go with about $500K of evac insurance.

Return flight times there are a couple of considerations. The Valor participates in Express Luggage where for $20 you put your bags out the night before and don't see them until baggage claim at your home airport.

To use EL you can't have a fight before 11:30 from MIA and 12:30 from FLL. There isn't much to do in the FLL airport, so if you want to assume (and it almost always works out) that there are no delays I would go for a noonish flight out of MIA unless a 1pm ish flight out of FLL is much cheaper.

If flying into and/or out of FLL I would book the SAS shuttle, which is cheaper than the Carnival transfer.

Afternoon flights are certainly the way to go. The best would be to fly the next day.

I have many friends that do the next day flights because it is less stressful, and it can extend the vacation one more day. Not everyone is able to do so because of work restrictions/vacation time/school, and so forth...but if you can, it is so much easier. It also gives you more tme to sort through your luggage to make it more flight-friendly, and organized.

The Valor is a great ship!! my Favorite Carnival ship!! I had a great cruise on her, and will di it again.

Hi! We are sailing on the Valor in July. We too booked SAS. We are staying in FLL the day before (taking a cab to the Embassy Suites) and having SAS pick us up from the hotel to MIA.

We originally booked a flight leaving FLL at 11:30am (doing early disembark) but the airline changed the time to 9:55am. I was willing to take the 11:30am flight but not 9:55am. Changed return flight to 12:42pm (no charge), I actually feel much better about that time anyway.

I emailed Scarlett's Steakhouse on the Valor to make reservations for the Chef's Table and got a confirmation within 10 hours. Email address is vasteakhouse@carnival.com

Happy sailing

Archived