Long day after leaving POA

pbinn

We unfortunately had our airline change flight times and we are now not leaving until 10:45 pm after getting off the pride of aloha that morning. I'm trying to decide what our best bet is, there will possibly be 12 of us, and was wondering about getting a room, or rooms, for the day so we could put our luggage in and at least enjoy a last day on the beach before heading to the airport at dinnertime. I also understand teh airport hotel offers day rentals till 6pm. Has anyone ran into this problem, and what did you do for the day. I hate to waste a whole day in hawaii, just dont know if we should store the bags on the pier or go the hotel route if we can find one that will let us do that.

Got back from that cruise 2 weeks ago. We flew out at 5:30PM and booked the Pearl Harbor / Sights of Honolulu tour that day. The ship has an agreement with a local hotel for a day rate as well. That might be your best bet. Relax. The return flight is a bear.

Our flight left just after yours after the POA in January. At that time the ship had a deal for day rooms at the Ala Moana but I understand they no longer do. I've heard the same thing that you have that the Airport Hotel does have day rooms. My DW and I stayed at the Ala Moana and it was worth it. It would have cost more for two of us to do a tour and since we've been over there quite a few times, I didn't feel like renting a car and have the hastling of driving. We relaxed with coffee out on the lanai, took a shower, and had a good meal at the hotel prior to catching a shuttle to the airport that evening. My brother and his DW got a car and went to the Flea Market and other places. They had a good time but showed up at the airport tired and haggard. We were relaxed and rested. But both of us felt we did the right thing for us. If you want to do the beach thing, maybe someone else knows another hotel that's reasonable on a day room and close to the beach.

Got back from that cruise 2 weeks ago. We flew out at 5:30PM and booked the Pearl Harbor / Sights of Honolulu tour that day. The ship has an agreement with a local hotel for a day rate as well. That might be your best bet. Relax. The return flight is a bear.

Hmmm, maybe they got things worked out with the Ala Moana. If so, a great location for a day room. With tax it came to $99. It's attached to the Ala Moana Mall, Wal-Mart is nearby, and a beautiful park with beach is less than 5 minutes walking. The shuttle to the airport can be scheduled through the bell captain's desk for any hour on the hour. Being a Sunday night, we were at the airport in less than 20 minutes.

thanks all..not assuming they dont change the flight again, maybe i will look into the ala moana for the day. do you think i could book it myself, or does that have to be done through NCL.

My wife and I had the same problem a few years ago and this is what we did. The flight left at 11:30 PM. We decided to be the last ones off of the ship. Got a rental car and headed to the flea market over by the college stadium (Sunday only). There was at least an hour or two spent looking at some pretty good bargins. I think the wife bought the 10 T shirts for $20. From there we headed to the other side of the Island for a stroll along the beach. (Great picture taking near the blow hole). We took the tunnels over the pass into down town Honululu and strolled down Waikki Beach near the Hilton Village. (Free parking in the Marina area). Found a Red Lobster and had a nice dinner. Watched the sun set and headed back to the airport. Returned the rental car and checked in the luggage. I'm not too sure how far a rental car will go with 12 people but this is how two people spent there last day in Hawaii. Enjoy your trip. Tim and Cathy

Don't know what rate you would get booking yourself. The deal they had with NCL was based on availability on that week so a cheaper rate to help fill the rooms. Also, if you book yourself, the check in might be as late as 3:00 like most over there. Through NCL, check in was noon, so we had a relaxing breakfast on board, disembarked late and got there a little before eleven. Checked our bags with the bell captain and went to the food court in the mall for a snack before checking in.

We are very likely going to be taking a late flight home from Honolulu. I did the air thru the cruise line; but I think our flight home will be one of the 11PM ones, getting us back home at 10:30AM the next morning (there doesn't seem to anything else earlier that comes our way). I'm thinking of doing Priceline.com before we leave to see what we can get & just not use the hotel for the entire night. I've gotten some pretty decent deals on hotels thru them before.

Anyway, I'll just have to be patient & see what flights we get.

Cheers,

Sandy.

Depending on the curise line, you may be able to sign-up for a ship sponsored shore excursion for the day you leave the ship. If something interests you anyway. This way your luggage is handled for you until the excursion is over. It worked for members of our family. Enjoy!

Archived