Carnival, Norwegian or Royal Caribbean???

BayouGirlUSA

First, I will start out with I was born and raised in Louisiana and am 1 hour away from New Orleans and have NEVER cruised out of New Orleans, I know that's pretty bad. So, this leads me to my question. Of the above cruise lines, which would you chose and why.

I have cruised twice and it has been with Princess Cruise Lines. Unfortunately, Princess doesn't sail out of New Orleans. Now that I am completely addicted to cruising which I'm sure comes as a shock...LOL...I want to be able to cruise out of New Orleans for a quick and convenient embarkation and CHEAPER since there won't be any airfare involved or pre-night hotel charges.

Any information or advice or opinions on the 3 cruise lines that sail out of New Orleans would be greatly appreciated. I really don't care about the itinerary just info on the cruise lines.

Hook me up because I know you guys KNOW!

Thanks Bunches!

They are so much alike that you would enjoy cruising on any of them. I see only very minor differences like better pizza on Carnival, more emphasis on sanitation on Norwegian and Royal Caribbean is, well, Royal Caribbean.

Choose your date, price or itinerary and happy cruising. :)

I agree with the above poster. We take advantage of just about every cruise ship that leaves form New Orleans because we live in Mandeville, 45 min. away. Now, the new ship, Voyager of the Seas (RCCL), will be unlike any ship that has ever been to New Orleans in regards to size and what is has to offer. It is very large with things onboard that we have never had before - rock climbing wall, ice rink (with ice shows), large promenade with parades, etc. We are booked with extended family for a Thanksgiving cruise. I have read very good reviews on it and we know someone that has been on it, but out of TX. It may be one that you want to look into.

We have loved all of the cruises we have taken out of NO so you can't go wrong!

Thanks for the responses! Our two cruises on Princess have been so wonderful. Since we're in our *ahem* 50's we are looking for the quieter cruise lines. I hate to admit it but my "party till you drop" days are getting far and few between...LOL! Of these 3 cruise lines, which do you think fits this criteria? I know Carnival gets a bad rap as far as the "party" cruise line but I haven't really read much about NCL and RCCL!

We have sailed all of them and really, it totally depends on when you go, not the ship or cruise line. We just got off of the Carnival ship for the week of Mardi Gras and there were a lot of kids, but it wasn't a party atmosphere. I think that reputation is old and not accurate. We went on the Carnival Elation out of Mobile in January, when school was in session, and we were one of the youngest couples on the ship (we are in our early 40's). We have been on one Princess cruise so I know the "feel" of that line too. For us, it has been the sail date that changes the crowd. You may want to avoid summer time, spring break and holidays, though I don't think these times would be their "party sailings" but rather, just more of a chance to have a much younger crowd. Over the years, we have seen all ages on all cruise lines.

We have sailed all of them and really, it totally depends on when you go, not the ship or cruise line. We just got off of the Carnival ship for the week of Mardi Gras and there were a lot of kids, but it wasn't a party atmosphere. I think that reputation is old and not accurate. We went on the Carnival Elation out of Mobile in January, when school was in session, and we were one of the youngest couples on the ship (we are in our early 40's). We have been on one Princess cruise so I know the "feel" of that line too. For us, it has been the sail date that changes the crowd. You may want to avoid summer time, spring break and holidays, though I don't think these times would be their "party sailings" but rather, just more of a chance to have a much younger crowd. Over the years, we have seen all ages on all cruise lines.

World,

Thanks for the info! Which is your line of choice out of New Orleans?

• 2 weeks later...

The Carnival ship is one of their smallest in the fleet ( we have been on her two sister ships), NCL Spirit is their smallest ship, I've sailed on her and she is a nice ship, and the Voyager is a large ship, I have sailed on the Mariner of the Seas, and this was by far my favorite ship of all the cruises we have been on. For no other reason than the layout to us was easy to navigate, and you never felt like you were on a ship when you were in many of the areas. They all have their good and bad points.

The Carnival ship is one of their smallest in the fleet ( we have been on her two sister ships), NCL Spirit is their smallest ship, I've sailed on her and she is a nice ship, and the Voyager is a large ship, I have sailed on the Mariner of the Seas, and this was by far my favorite ship of all the cruises we have been on. For no other reason than the layout to us was easy to navigate, and you never felt like you were on a ship when you were in many of the areas. They all have their good and bad points.

I also agree that RCCL's Mariner of the Seas was the best cruise ship I have been on so far. I have been on both of the other ships and enjoyed both cruises, but they were no Mariner of the Seas. The Voyager is the same class of ship as the Mariner, so I would expect it to be just a good. I was planning on booking the Voyager for April 2012, but we decided to do a Eastern route this time. Heading out on the Freedom of the Seas, out of Cape Canaveral.

If you are looking for a balcony room on the Voyager, I suggest trying to get a aft corner room. We had room 7688, which is a standard room, but the balcony was huge. Here is a link to some photo's http://travel.webshots.com/album/562730880gkfEJb

• 2 weeks later...
I also agree that RCCL's Mariner of the Seas was the best cruise ship I have been on so far. I have been on both of the other ships and enjoyed both cruises, but they were no Mariner of the Seas. The Voyager is the same class of ship as the Mariner, so I would expect it to be just a good. I was planning on booking the Voyager for April 2012, but we decided to do a Eastern route this time. Heading out on the Freedom of the Seas, out of Cape Canaveral.

If you are looking for a balcony room on the Voyager, I suggest trying to get a aft corner room. We had room 7688, which is a standard room, but the balcony was huge. Here is a link to some photo's http://travel.webshots.com/album/562730880gkfEJb

Thank you for the link and the pictures.:)

We are also looking into the Mariner as a choice to sail out of NoLa. We have sailed all of the other lines from NoLa and have had a great time.

• 2 months later...

I haven't been on RCCL yet, but I would pick any of them by the ports. Princess sailed out of N.O. years ago, but not recently. I love Princess, but to be honest I never met a cruise ship I didn't like. I would skip peak kid times though - like Mardi Gras.

Sailing out of N.O. is an interesting experience - especially as it winds it was down the Miss. River.

The Spirit was a nice ship and since we were on a repo cruise there were very few children. I might try the Carnival ship that goes to the eastern Carribean (Key West & Bahamas) since I have been to Mexico several times.

We changed our plans and canceled our Freedom of the Seas cruise. Once RCCL opened up the booking for the Voyager of the Seas out of New Orleans on April 14, 2012 for a Trans Atlantic 16 day cruise to Spain, we booked it. The cruise price was about the same, but we now have the cost of the airfare back to New Orleans from Barcelona. It's our 30th anniversary and we have never been to Europe.

Archived