Stray animals in Samana

cruisemama2011

My husband, daughter, and I will be leaving for a cruise next week and one of the stops is Samana, Dominican Republic. From the pictures I have seen, it looks like a beautiful place, but I hear the poverty level is extremely low. Like most, it kills me to see people living in such horrible conditions, but it kills me even more to see all of the stray animals that typically inhabit this type of area. If anyone who has ever been to Samana (I believe we are going to a beach called Cayo Levantado) can share their experience on the island, I would greatly appreciate it. I just want to get myself mentally prepared.

If you are doing the Cayo excursion you will not see Samana. Cayo Lavantado is an island off the mainland which has no stray animals and poverty.

We did the Cayo excursion last week and it was beautiful, well worth the expense and far better than going into Samana from what I was told after we returned to the ship.

Too bad you missed Sanama. I have been to a lot of beaches and chose to visit Samana...I'm glad I did. Yes, the poverty level is high but never did I feel unsafe and it was not only an eye opening experience to witness so many happy poverished people but to also visit such beautiful places that Samana offers...waterfalls, secluded beaches, just to name a few.

Samana is my favorite Caribbean port and I plan to visit again but next time as a resort experience so that I can stay longer :)

We were in Samana & drove around the DR last October. There were TONS of stray dogs all over the place, but the funny thing is that they're the most relaxed dogs I've ever seen. They sleep in the streets and hardly move when the cars zoom by, they stroll around, they watch people walk by...they're cute from a distance.

Then they get up close and they are all scabby and mangey...eeew.

Yes, as a pet owner & lover it is sad to see all of the dogs just walking around but they don't look underfed - just unkept.

Archived