New to the Alaskan Cruise; what to wear?

marchdreamer

Ok, so our family has only been on the Disney Cruise before which was in the Caribbean and that was easy to pack for. What do you need to be prepare for on RCI cruise in late June for Alaska? Thank you for any advise you can give me! Also, any other pieces of information will be greatly appreciated! :cool::confused::rolleyes:

Pack things that you can wear in layers. Start with unlined waterproof jackets, then fleeces or sweaters that can be worn underneath the jacket, hat, gloves, and last but not least ... a pair of shoes that you have sprayed with waterproofing a few times.

• 2 weeks later...
Great web site! This will help us out a ton!!! Thank you!:)

I looked at everybody's packing list and then stalked the weather in every place we were visiting. Then, I looked at what I was wearing on a similar day at home. If you NEVER wear a hoodie, with a fleece AND a jacket over it on a 60 degree day, then you won't need all that at one time in Alaska either. Personally, I don't even wear that many layers when it is below zero, but everyone at school knows I'm totally bonkers when it comes to temperatures.

A waterproof/breathable outer layer with a hood is crucial. Under that, have available whatever you normally would wear in the 55 to 70 range. Polypro breathable T's are great alone or under your longer layer. Forget the umbrella, especially if you are planning on using a camera, or binoculars, or shopping--won't work on glacier days, whale watches, or eagle floats either. Columbia/Weatherproof/ACG(Nike)/Dockers type pants do double duty in the dining room, traveling and touring. Good shoes, either waterproof/breathable low hikers (Dick's $40 Alpine Design or Hi-Tech) or spray your own you already have. A daypack to stuff anything you take off, your camera gear, purchases and the rain shell. Spray that too.

We did 7 day land tour and 7 day cruise with carry on only plus a box of mailed formal stuff. We laughed at the piles and sizes of bags people were dragging in, or listing at the Purser's that didn't get delivered to the ship. But, that's where you need to know yourself and what you will need to be comfy.

• 2 weeks later...

I will also suggest layers, layers, layers! Depending on where we were in the ship, depended on what we needed to wear. on the back deck I was fine in jeans and a t-shirt but on the front deck I was in a sweatshirt, polar tec and windbreaker with a hat and gloves! That was the difference the wind was making. I will also recommend sweatshirts or polartecs that are zip up because I often found it warm when I came in and continuously peeling a sweatshirt on and off was a pain, unzipping it was much easier. Have a great trip!

About 10 days before your trip, check on the weather channel and see what you are to expect. Last year in mid May it was in the 80's in Alaska. And 65 in San Diego. So having some idea of what the temps will be helps a lot. And also what are your plans? If you are going to spend time high in the mountains- it will be colder.

People tend to be more practical on alaska cruises. The idea is to be comfortable and not worry so much about how you look. And even though you will be on the ship often remember that you may want to be in the open air a lot while you are looking for whales and admiring glaciers so you will want to bring sweaters and jackets with you a lot of the time as you wander around. Having to go inside and leave a pod of breeching whales because you are about to freeze to death is terrible.

welcome to cruise critic

you will love alaska

layered clothing is the best

end of june is a lovely time to visit alaska -- one of our favorite times

for adults i suggest waterproof jackets that have zippered linings -- one wear both at the same time on cooler days -- either section of warmer days

for your children -- take extra sweaters -- don't spend a lot of money on them for jackets as they will quickly outgrow them

• 2 months later...
We took our Alaska cruise last July and I made a detailed packing list on my blog based on all the suggestions I got here PLUS what I ACTUALLY used. :) Here's a link (click on packing list):

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

Hope that helps!

Awesome blog! We leave tomorrow and have many of the items you mentioned. My husband still want to take an umbrella though... :o

Awesome blog! We leave tomorrow and have many of the items you mentioned. My husband still want to take an umbrella though... :o

LOL! That's okay. Perhaps he'll like using it but we just found it was a pain to bring one extra thing that we weren't sure we'd use, plus we like having both hands free in the rain, especially if you're walking around or shopping. Waterproof jackets were awesome!

• 1 month later...
Ok, so our family has only been on the Disney Cruise before which was in the Caribbean and that was easy to pack for. What do you need to be prepare for on RCI cruise in late June for Alaska? Thank you for any advise you can give me! Also, any other pieces of information will be greatly appreciated! :cool::confused::rolleyes:

We went many years ago in July.

The one thing I would tell you to bring is a down coat!

I mentioned that to a friend that went after us, and she was so glad...everyone asked her how she knew to bring it.

It will be perfect then you are cruising Glacier Bay...the wind off of the ice can feel freezing:eek:

Jeanne

We went many years ago in July.

The one thing I would tell you to bring is a down coat!

I mentioned that to a friend that went after us, and she was so glad...everyone asked her how she knew to bring it.

It will be perfect then you are cruising Glacier Bay...the wind off of the ice can feel freezing:eek:

Jeanne

I've been to Alaska 3 times and about to go for my 4th time, and I have never taken a down coat, nor have I felt the need for one. Much too bulky to pack, and layers are so much more effective, plus you can take off/put on to adjust as necessary.

Leaving for Alaska August 19th and this thread is helping immensely. I am from Montreal so I know cold and I will be fine in layers and a waterproof jacket so long as the temps stay above freezing! Just wanted to thank everyone for posting their lists and opinions.

Archived