Price Drops but Celebrity Won't Let Me Upgrade my Cabin

Susie

Is there something stopping you from booking another cabin, in a higher category, and then cancelling your current reservation?????
The OP speaks of an April departure, and I'm assuming we're talking '05 here, so the cancellation penalty would probably be a deal breaker.

How does one find these Happy Hour specials???

One way is to get a good TA. I've got several clients that let me know where and when they'd like to cruise and I keep an eye on all the specials for them. There is one problem with many of the specials and that is they are often guarantees and you take what everyone else doesn't want, for example under the kitchen, next to a rest room or an elevator or very far forward or aft.

Reggie:D

We've booked guaranteed cabins on Celebrity a couple of times and have ended up with really bad cabins. On the Galaxy we were given a cabin at the back of the ship where the vibration is really bad when the ship is docking in port. It's okay on sea days but it feels like you're going to be thrown out of the bed very early in the morning on port days.

On the Mercury we were given a cabin just above the service corridor and listened to carts clanging down that hallway at all times of the night.

On the Millie we were given a smelly cabin. There's a particular odor that is just a fact of life on cruise ships. We've experienced this on Celebrity and on Carnival. We had to be moved from our smelly cabin on the Millie because what they tried to fix the odor with was a perfume mask which was nauseating. They took care of us, though, and moved us. On Carnival we just dealt with it because they moved us to that cabin from another that had a transformer vibrating the wall from a corridor behind. I've smelled this odor in various places around numerous ships so I've decided it is just the routing of the plumbing that we've encountered (I hope).

I agree to be a bull dog about Celebrity allowing you to upgrade.

We had the same troubles and our TA was told it was for new bookings olny. We called Celebrity and they tried to refer us back to our TA. I asked to speak to a supervisor, then a customer service honcho. She managed to allow us to recive the lower fare plus she gave us an upgrade. It may have helped that we have sailed with Celebrity 14 plus times. Hang in there.

Princess also gave us the same runaround I could have accepted the fare but they didn't even offer us an upgrade on a nearly empty sailing. Long story short I went up the chain of command and they finally gave in after I mentioned that I was in a mood to have our local TV station look into cruise pricing and why they make people who book early front the discounts. We were upgraded to a BA.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

I've always been told that you can get any discount that occurs before final payment--which makes sense as they can't keep you from cancelling your current reservation and getting the new lower price.

Once final payment is in you're pretty well locked in (unless the discount is so deep that it's worth cancelling and rebooking). You may have some success with making enough waves with X to get the lower rate, but I'm not sure you're entitled to the discount/upgrade once you've made final payment.

Archived