renting a car in cozumel?

wfergi173

we sail in 10 days and are thinking of renting a car and doing cozumel on our own. my 2 sons want to see ruins and the wife and the wife and daughter want to shop. so looking for suggestions on where to rent from, shopping and ruins to visit. thanks for all the help!!:cool:

we sail in 10 days and are thinking of renting a car and doing cozumel on our own. my 2 sons want to see ruins and the wife and the wife and daughter want to shop. so looking for suggestions on where to rent from, shopping and ruins to visit. thanks for all the help!!:cool:

Before you look any further Please read this blog.. http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/?spref=fb

We have rented cars all over the world but Never in Mexico for this reason. I have read many stories like this one but this happened just last week. There are a lot of people that tell you it is ok that they have done it many times but you never know what can happen and seeing that you will be with your wife and kids its not worth the chance. Look at going to Paradise Beach by taxi for $14 each way and the kids will have a great time at the pool and on their water toys. Its a great place with good food and you wont have to worry.

just read the nightmare he went through!! now having 2nd thoughts on renting a cae!! still would like to see some ruins and shopping though!! is there some of both close to the pier? or a reasonable taxi ride away?:rolleyes:

just read the nightmare he went through!! now having 2nd thoughts on renting a cae!! still would like to see some ruins and shopping though!! is there some of both close to the pier? or a reasonable taxi ride away?:rolleyes:

If you are on Carnival there is a shopping area right at the Puerta Maya pier that Carnival uses and they have stores with all the Mexico junk everyone buys downtown for the same prices :) so you dont have to go downtown unless you really want to.. its very crowded downtown but is fun if you have never been. If you have a short day you may find your time better spent at the beach relaxing.

The taxi rates are set, this is the link to the port rates.

http://www.puertamaya.com/port-information/taxi-rate-information.aspx

You can also see a lot of other info on the port and the area there including the web cam, there are 2 Carnival ships there today,. wish I was on one of them :D

The ruins at San Gervasio are somewhat small but if Cozumel is your only ruins port of call, and you want to shop as well, they're certainly easier and cheaper to get to than Tulum. I'd suggest getting the cab and having it drop your wife and daughter off at the Plaza area to shop while you and your 2 sons continue on to San Gervasio and then return and meet up with your family at a local restuarant on the Plaza, like Casa Denis or La Choza. You can pick up anew taxi in town after lunch to return to the ship. Pjtulsa is correct that you can find similar stuff at Puerta Maya pier, Los CincoSoles/Panchos Backyard, for example has a large branch at the pier, no need to do the downtown one. By the taxi link probably cost $80-$100 RT pier-to-town-to-ruins-to-town-to-pier.

Here's a couple of links on the ruins for information: http://www.mayasites.com/gervasio.html

http://thisiscozumel.com/content/view/420/43/

Archived