Some will complain no matter what

humboldt74

Sad, isn't it! :eek:

I'm going to try the happier than thou trick myself next time! :D

This reminds me of dining with others at lunch once, where you sit with different folks than at dinner. I was chatting with an older man, and DH asked me on the QT, why was I talking so much to all these guys? I told him that I smooze the old farmers where I work, and I'm good at it! :D Anyway, I'm good at yakking, he's quiet, so I do more of the talking to strangers. :)

Guest Host Tink
I remember some time ago someone wrote that their whole cruise was terrible because the husband couldn't get fishy swabs (potato/leek soup? I won't even attempt to spell it properly). Found it remarkable that merely not being able to order 1 specific food would ruin a cruise.

Oh boy, thanks for the laugh...Fishy Swabs....I gotta remember that one.

Oh boy, thanks for the laugh...Fishy Swabs....I gotta remember that one.

I know...when I read that line, I was laughing like crazy. :D Everyone at work was asking me what was going on.

I have now decided that everytime someone starts complaining about something, I will think about "fishy swabs" soup.

I know...when I read that line, I was laughing like crazy. :D Everyone at work was asking me what was going on. QUOTE]

Whatcha doing being on the CC board when you're at work ?????:D :D

Probably the same thing all the rest of us "at work" are doing!

Why someone spends that much money and can't even attempt to enjoy themselves is beyond me. Please never let me become that bitter and angry about my life.

OK. I have to admit, I hate people. My sarcastic whit has put off more than a few. In my last profession I was a Private Investigater so I got to see people at their worst. My goal in life is to live long enough that I can whack somebody on the head with my cane and get away with it 'cause I'm "that crotchety old guy"!

BUT, vacation is another thing. NOTHING bothers me when I travel. Every little thing that "goes wrong" is just part of the adventure. At home and in business, I DEMAND perfection and nothing else. But on vacation, as long as they treat DW like a queen, I'm happy. That and a proper cup of tea makes me a happy camper.

I agree, why waste the money? You can be miserable at home for free!

I LOVE the over the top happy solution. Here's another one, get the person's name and let them know that there's this wonderful web site where we talk about the people whose attitude affected the cruise for everyone else (or something like that) and it helps if we know their names!

Shar

With all the complaining about little things, it reminded me of one of our first cruises:

It was a dark and stormy night....

My wife and I just happened to notice a South American gentleman drunk out of his mind moments after we boarded the ship. We noticed not cause he was drunk but because he was wearing Zorries (Flip Flops) with a suit!

No matter what he wore during the cruise, zorries were his footwear of choice.

One night there was a storm a brooin'. We we told by the staff to avoid the upper ouside decks till they could get out of the storm. Our friend didn't listen. (Neither did we since we were there to see him.)

Suddenly a gust of wind and a wave hit the ship. The deck tilted and he was THROWN across the deck, slamming into a guard rail. He was still smilling and happy, but we later saw him in a cast. He must have broken his arm and at LEAST a rib or two. But he was still wearing the zorries, drunk and happy.

I don't suggest everyone get THAT drunk or hurt themselves on purpose but.....

He wanted to have a good time and DANG IT, no matter what, he was happy. Ya gotta love it.

I remember some time ago someone wrote that their whole cruise was terrible because the husband couldn't get fishy swabs (potato/leek soup? I won't even attempt to spell it properly). Found it remarkable that merely not being able to order 1 specific food would ruin a cruise.

I think you mean vichyssoise (vi-she-swahs), but I like the sound of "fishy swabs." And, you're right; it is a soup made with potatoes, leeks, and onions.

Thanks for the chuckle. Laughter is the best medicine, and that's what DH and I usually do when he hear the chronic complainers.

Chris

With all the complaining about little things, it reminded me of one of our first cruises: ......................................

He wanted to have a good time and DANG IT, no matter what, he was happy. Ya gotta love it.

And oh how I do! I do wish all the chronic complainers of the world would save themselves a lot of money by staying home. Kind of like the Texan I sat across from at a luau in Hawaii once. :eek: He wanted steak and nothing else was going to make him shut up and be happy. Now when was the last time you heard of cow being roasted at a luau!?! :confused: Go figure! I know it takes all kinds, I would just rather avoid some of them.

OK, so now that we are in agreement that crotchety old complaining folks are no fun, any more ideas on how to shut them up? Loved WeBeGones acting, but not sure I am that good. Maybe tell the Fishy Swabs story? (Took old quick-on-the-uptake me about five minutes to make THAT connnection, but when I finally got it, ROFL)

My DH had a pretty good one last June on the Golden: Cranky old lady unhappy with everything, starting the night before at the gorgeous hotel in San Juan, she is not even on the boat yet and complaining. We tried avoiding her, but naturally ended up right next to her in line, at check-in and then again that night on deck. When she started in yet again, he listened quietly until she took a breath, looked her right in the eye and said "I can see that these little things are really getting to you and ruining your cruise pleasure, but what REALLY pisses ME off is people who complain about the least little thing and try to ruin it for other folks." She stomped off pretty mad, and we spent the rest of the cruise hiding from her, but it felt GOOD at the time.

I just returned from a 5 day cruise with my daughter on Carnival's Imagination. Having mostly cruised on Princess, RCL, HAL and NCL, my expectations were low. As it turned out the cruise was great and I would sail on the Imagination again with no problem. I had to laugh one night at dinner when an elderly woman was berating her waiter going on and on how the food was so inferior to Celebrity. Why would someone go on a 10 year old carnival ship and have any expectations that the food would be on par with Celebrity's?? And actually the food was much better than I ever expected.

Archived