If Carnival and Royal Caribbean were the same price what line would you pick?

I have been on 8 cruises and the first 7 were carnival, and my last was on the royal's liberty of the seas. If I am going on a cruise for the ship itself, I would definetely choose royal, I am still amazed how big the boat was and how nice it was inside, it's hard to describe, it was like nothing I've experienced before with carnival boats. But, if I was looking for a cruise based on the food onboard, carnival wins in a heartbeat. I have never been disappointed once with the food on carnival for any meal. Only 2 nights was I satisfied with the food from the MDR on royal. And it didn't blow me away either, I was only satisfied. Lunch options were not that great. Nor was the room service selection, it's very limited and they even charge you if you order after midnight. The only lunch food I liked was the johnny rockets, which is an extra charge, but I thought it was well worth it. To me everything else was the same, onboard prices, entertainment, and atmosphere I felt was the same on both and you can pretty much choose any itinerery on either line. So for me it comes down to wether I'd rather have better food or be on a more extravagent ship.

I have sailed on Carnival seven times and RCL zero times. Carnival has given me no reason to not want to sail with Carnival, so my choice is Carnival! Although I would like to give RCL a try one of these days, I have a hard time sailing on anyone other than Carnival since I always have a credit with them from my funpoints on my carnival credit card.

We will be sailing on Carnival for the first time in 10 days. We've been on Princess twice and RCCL twice. We would definitely choose Princess over RCCL. There are a few more activities on RCCL, but the food was MUCH better on Princess. The Princess ship (cabin, cleanliness, etc.) was nicer, entertainment was about equal, and service was about equal. Since Princess and Carnival are the same company, we have high hopes for Carnival.

We're basically comparing a 4 star resort to a 3 star resort here. Obviously, when given the choice and if the cost were the same, most people would pick the 4 star. But some people might still pick the 3 star because they've been there before and they really liked that experience.

DW and I are Platinum on CCL and have 5 cruises on RCI. I would probably classify both as 3 star resorts. RCI wins on decor and over appearance, while CCL wins on room sizes (most rooms) and food quality.

Everything being equal as $$, we choose based on when we can go and itinerary.:cool:

Never sailed with RCI - Mainly because I've always had such a great time with Carnival that I never bothered to look at other cruise lines. I understand RCI has more options & bells and whistles on their ships, and people seem to enjoy them, but most come with an extra fee.. And I'm not trying to sound cheap considering I'm not, but I enjoy that Carnival keeps their ships simple yet have attractive features that don't cost extra. I also love Carnival's food in the MDR & Steakhouse, I like the ports the ships visit & Carnival's family-friendly, yet adult fun!

So overall, I'd stick to Carnival. :D

CARNIVAL for me and my family!

I guess it depends on what you personally enjoy. Both of my RCCL cruises were ok at best because my husband and I are foodies! We make everything from scratch at home and only eat at restaurants that make their food fresh daily on the premises. Carnival does an amazing job considering the amount of people they have to feed. The food in the MDR or anywhere on a Carnival ship is great. I sometimes order two meals. On RCCL I hardly ever finished the first meal. Although, their Supper Club (or whatever it's called) was amazing, but it's an additional $25 per person. On CCL I cam get great food for free!!

We actually took all five of our children on a RCCL and none of them really enjoyed it. We are leaving on a Carnival cruise tomorrow and our two youngest boys are beyond excited.

Royal Caribbean hands down. I'm so excited that RCL will be in a port near us soon. We have been forced to fly to go on them or drive a great distance so Carnival got more money from us due to close port. That won't happen but maybe once more due to credit for future cruise. (Insert HAPPY DANCE)

Good question...we've been on Carnival, Princess, and Royal Caribbean, and we think each has areas where they outshine the others. I would definitely look at itinerary, and think about what I was looking for from the cruise. Do I want to just relax and unwind, do I want to see interesting new sights, or do I want to participate in fun and varied activities on the ship?

A funny thing happened to me in Cozumel two weeks ago. I saw the Allure and I was awestruck and fascinated. I always said NO WAY, but now I'm not so sure!

I do like switching around for variety. We cruise most often from Galveston, and trying different ships keeps it interesting and "new." If I had my way, I'd be carrying my own wine onto a Royal Caribbean ship with Carnival or Princess food and RCCL entertainment and activities!:rolleyes:

Archived