Chair Hogs BEWARE

Last week on Allure I noticed the deck crews frequent clearing of loungers that were vacant for more than 30 minutes....they would just put your stuff in plastic bags and take it away....they also had announcements not to leave chairs unattended for more than 30 minutes......they were clearing chairs no problem.....first time I saw them so diligent.

Good news! I have seen that too many times in too many places and it is so unfair to the rest of us. At the very least, one person of the party should be there! How many times are the chairs "reserved" and then NEVER used????

That's excellent news. I hope this is a policy they stick with.

This is our first cruise but we have been to a few resorts where you see people rushing down to the pool very early in the morning to save a spot, leave their stuff, take off and show up hours later to finally sit down.

But can they, or will they, address the idiots that take 4-8 chairs, leave one person to watch them, and have them be empty for most of the day.

As long as one person was there they wouldn't bother them....at least if it wasn't a big group of chairs they were holding....but ones that sat empty with no folks were bagged and tagged. I did see some people come back and then have words with the people who were now sitting in those chairs....and to be fair it had nothing to do with people complaining....deck crew was doing it on their own.

Since RCI reads these boards as reported in the Meet and Mingle events everyone should respond to this thread with a positive response.

I think enforcing the 30 minute rule is a great idea that is long overdue. I was on princess receintly and they enforced the 30 minute rule and the passenges seemed to appreciate it.

I will be on the Allure in May and look forward to the rule being enforced.

It is about time they enforced these rules with the chairs. The same should go for the shows. First come first served. People may not be able to all sit together at the shows but they can re group after the show.

They are on a ship no one can go to far.

I saw a guy on the March 13 sailing of the Allure, at the Blue Planet show, reserving 6 seats by himself in the front row. He ordered a drink for every seat, put them in the cupholder, with a napkin on each seat. Now that's a professional seat reserver!

I saw a guy on the March 13 sailing of the Allure, at the Blue Planet show, reserving 6 seats by himself in the front row. He ordered a drink for every seat, put them in the cupholder, with a napkin on each seat. Now that's a professional seat reserver!

An that was the correct (polite) way to it, only he should have "politely" saved only three seats, his own and one either side of his...

just an observation. what if you and your husband are in the pool or hot tub for more than 30 minutes you lose not only your chair but have to hunt down all your belonings. i, too, do not like chair hogs but maybe 30 minutes is too short of a time, what do you all think.

just an observation. what if you and your husband are in the pool or hot tub for more than 30 minutes you lose not only your chair but have to hunt down all your belonings. i, too, do not like chair hogs but maybe 30 minutes is too short of a time, what do you all think.

30 minutes is fine with me. I find myself usually hopping in the pool or hot tub and then back to the chair and then back again.

That's good news! Good going, RCI!

I didn't know of the term 'chair hog' before my first cruise back in 2009. I wanted to know what people were talking about, so I searched the term on the internet and found explanations. Also found and kept these cartoons to show my fellow travellers...and to warn them of what NOT to do.

Remember! These are things you SHOULDN'T do!!! :D

TOON_Cruise Poolchair Hog

TOON_Cruise Poolchair Hog 2

TOON_Cruise Poolchair Hog DOG

I understanding saving a chair here and there, but what I didn't understand is why at the pool families felt the need to reserve a chair for every member in the family, including the kids that only got out of the pool for an ice cream. Seriously? I can't sit down to watch my kids in the pool because your kid may want to sit down for all of 2 minutes? Sorry, when the pool area is crowded why can't people just be considerate?

Sooo.... glad to hear the problems being dealt with. :D Chair hogging was a big problem when we were on FOS last May. I also hope the chair hogging in the shows will be addressed, saw a lot of that too. Just wondering it Royal might consider assigning seats when you book the shows? That would definately stop the chair hogging.

I am glad to hear this. I wish they would institute this fleet wide. I am a solo cruiser. I would come down to the pool early, perhaps by 9:30 -10am so I could have a chair where I want. I only need one chair and am there pretty much all day, except for breaks for lunch, restrooms and the pool. I guess I will have to watch how much time I am out of the chair. Many times I would ask my neighbor to watch my chair for me and I would do the same. This is a good news.

I am glad to see Royal Caribbean is continueing to enforce the Chair Rules! When we sailed on the Freedom a couple of years ago, they DID enforce it and it was great. I just assumed they did it all of the time. I hope they continue to enforce the rules. I also agree that a family of 6, with 4 kids under 10, don't need a chair for every child. It really doesn't make sense because the kids don't sit in the chairs. At our community pool, on crowded days, the kids were not allowed to have chairs. Yes, I realize that the kids have paid to be on the cruise, but if they never sit down it doesn't make sense to save the chair.

I think 30 minutes is a bit short! :eek: Maybe an hour, but not 30 minutes! My DH and I like to sit in the hot tub, pool or go get ice cream etc. If I come back to my chair and my belongings are gone I will be extremely angry! :mad: We pay to much money to cruise to be treated like children!

When I first cruised with RC on Navigator OTS, I didn't have a problem finding a chair; though, I must admit, I was rarely on the deck. I do hope to get prime Solarium chairs for me and my new hubby without being told they are taken or to see someone's stuff on them.

Thanks for this rule.:D

Archived