September or October for Med.and Greek Isles Cruise

VivianK

We're planning Med. and Greek Isles Cruise. Wondering whether Oct 2 departure would be too chilly on sea days and we should book September 8th. I know it's impossible to predict the weather, but if you can give me some opinions, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

October is when the weather definitely starts cooling down in Greece. Take a look at this average temperature chart:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/GRXX0004

If it were me, I'd probably pick September when it is just a bit cooler than August and what I would call good touring weather for walking around outside and not being all sweaty.

The September date will be perfect. I did it a couple of years ago and it was awesome. I used to be stationed on a US Navy ship in the Med and you definitely have less consistent and sometimes bad weather in October. September is my month of choice for the Med if we travel.

We did 2 weeks on the Summit in 2009, from Oct 3 - 17. The weather was very warm until our last 2-3 days. But everyone said the very warm weather we had was unusual for that time of year. Our final three stops were Mykonos, Split, and Venice. Up to those ports, the weather had been in the 80's or 90's every day. In Mykonos, it might have reached 70, Split was probably in the 60's and Venice was only in the 50's and actually went down into the 40's overnight.

My guess would be your September date would be much more likely to have warm weather.

We're planning Med. and Greek Isles Cruise. Wondering whether Oct 2 departure would be too chilly on sea days and we should book September 8th. I know it's impossible to predict the weather, but if you can give me some opinions, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

I would suggest September over October. When we were there the last time, all the tour guides kept mentioning that their rainy season begins in October.

Archived