buying TAG HEUER watch on board

1skier1

will be on connie april 2 and was wondering if anyone knows what percentage off of retail they sell the TAG watches for.. or if anyone has any experience buying a TAG in san juan, barbados, antigua or st thomas and what type of deal they got... thank you very much.. im looking at the mens 2000 series automatic with chrono.. thx again

I think onboard they are 40% off retail...limited styles. This may not be right but its what pops in my head right now. I think they were priced similar to what you can find when they have them at Costco.

We have bought several over the years. I believe the amount the ship discounts is 20%. We also bought in St. Thomas and St. Maartin. In St. Maartin we bought at Little Switzerland and I believe the price was the same as the ship but a much better selection. In St. Thomas I bought from a dealer that wasn't authorized to sell Tags and got one much cheaper and then went to A. H. Reese(sp) and they said if the store wasn't an authorized seller than if something happened Tag wouldn't fix it. I took it back and bought one from them. We each have two Tags now and have never had any trouble with them. I believe if I had it to do over I would buy at the unauthorized store and save the money. I am sorry I can't remember the name of the store but it was around the main stores in a walkway between the buildings where other stores are located. Just look and ask around for stores that sell Tags. You could deal with that particular store but not at the other authorized dealers. Also remember you not only are saving 20% but also the sales tax. Just make sure what you are buying is real. They should be in a Tag case that zips up and have a card inside for registration. Good luck. We love ours.

I bought a wonderful Tag in San Juan during a cruise on the Millie about 3 years ago. Cost me $10. I often get comments on what a great watch I am wearing and only I know what it cost, and not to let it get wet. Hey, it tells time just fine and if I do lose it it's no big deal. I actually take it when I travel so that I have a watch that looks good with no fear of it being stolen.

Looke at a TAG link on Century 3 weeks ago...the price was as good as on any island. I'really don't think the islands offer the deals they once did. Were I to buy, it would be on the ship.

thank you for all your input.. but one person doesnt understand the point of owning a nice watch, its not to fool other people into thinking you have something of quality, i would like an affordable watch that isnt "trendy" that i can someday pass on to my son or grandson.. anyways, if anyone else has advice i would greatly appreciate it..

I find I do alot better on watches, some up to 50% right here in the states. I search online for discount (the brand Name) watches.

One site is Princton watches. Many also have free shipping.

Easy to return if there is any problem

Eileen

Just a note - be careful where and from whom you buy your watch from. The previous poster is correct about purchasing a watch from an unauthorized retailer (brick and mortar or online). Most high-end brands will service their watches under warranty ONLY if proof that it was purchased from an authorized location is presented to them at the time of service request. Online discounters are a significant problem for all major brands as well - ask the discounter if they are "authorized retail locations" to sell the particular brand - if they so "no" but we guarantee anyway, run, DO NOT walk, to the nearest authorized retailer.

I work for a high-end watch company so you can take my opinion for what you think it's worth.

thank you for all your input.. but one person doesnt understand the point of owning a nice watch, its not to fool other people into thinking you have something of quality, i would like an affordable watch that isnt "trendy" that i can someday pass on to my son or grandson.. anyways, if anyone else has advice i would greatly appreciate it..

Exactly!!! I bought a ROLEX at Little Switzerland in 1991 on our first cruise with the sole intention passing it on to my son when he graduates college this September...I want this watch to be a reminder of me when I'm gone and I hope he'll pass it along one day to his son...it has nothing to do with being "trendy".

BTW...the Rolex was about $1600 then and was a good deal...now I can find better deals in Toronto at high end retailers like BIRK's.

Watchdiva...I'm in the market for a new Breitling (sp?) after Matt graduates...if you have any free samples....;)

Hi there I will be on the Constellation April 2! We have always shopped at Grand Jewelers in St. Thomas and have been extremely pleased with them. My son was on a cruise two years ago and bought a Tag from them and has had no trouble and has been extremely pleased. I will be making a beeline for Grand Jewelers when the ship docks. I have been shopping with them for the past five years and have bought numerous items. See you there!

Danno, my husband feels the same way about watches. He wants to pass his watches down to his son and grandsons. We buy Breitlings down in St. Thomas. We always know what watch my husband wants and about what is a good price. I don't think anyone should buy something without knowing what it costs at home. We deal with the same guy year after year. Right now he is the manager of Azura. His name is Dean Bump. He is a real watch guy and sometimes my husband and him shoot the breeze for an hour or two. This year we bought a Citizens and a Tissot for our son-in-law and our son for christmas gifts. Next year we will be back and my husband wants a Zenith. Our son was taught to appreciate a mechanical watch at a early age. Pat

Another vote for purchasing at an authorized dealer! I bought my Breitling automatic at Columbian Emeralds in St. Thomas. Unfortunately, I have had to send it to Connecticut twice for repairs. They require all the paperwork and documents in order to service the watch. I also recommend you know your prices before you set sail. Happy shopping!

That one person was joking, but also making a point. You don't know where the watch came from or the quality from many of the stores in the Caribbean. And I don't wear watches to impress others, what I was getting at is that others can't tell if it is authentic or not, including jewelers, without an up close inspection.

thank you to everyone for all of your help... i am going to explore all of my options before i purchase a watch while in caribbean... but i think i might leave the headache at home.. and buy one from a local jeweler..thanks again

• 2 months later...

If anyone offers more than 20% dont buy it - I bought my Tag 4 years ago - shopped every port and on board - everyone was 20% except one internet guy offering 33% - hmnnn. Only difference was selection. BTW the Tag I bought 4 years ago in Aruba is now $400 more. Ship will guarantee to match any price. Note if you buy a TAG - DO NOT take it to a local jewler for service. Send it to ProTime in NJ. The jewler in Aruba told me they are the ONLY authorized TAG service in the USA.

My father has given me several watches and I treasure them all. When I wear one I always think of him at each time check.

Dave S.

Just a little note here about buying on the ship. If your purchases on board the ship total more than the allotted Custom's amount, you will have your name submitted to Custom's officials and you will have to report to a special room before you can disembark the ship. You will have to pay duty on anything you purchase on board if it goes over the allowance. So, if your watch is more than the $800 you're allowed by US laws, Celebrity is bound by law to give your name to Customs, and they will be waiting for you in the BoardRoom (that's where they were on the Summit), and you will be paying duty.

One interesting note - RCCL for years had Little Switzerland as an approved and recommended shop to purchase goods - last two years their name was taken off the list. I asked the Port Shopping director she wouldn't say why exactly other than they had complaints

On the Carnival Spirit, I was looking to buy a TAG but I saw the Citizens Eco Drive watch, this one is the Skyhawk with the Blue Angels Icon on the Back, awesome watch and lots of compliments on it, the watch retailed at 475.00 but with the 44% Discount it was 269.00 Great buy and a must see watch when you get on board.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a citizen skyhawk, the blue angels watch, at San Juan. It was cheaper than on the ship. we went to the onboard info class and they told us that the prices in the shops were not neg. but that wasn't true, they all worked with me to give me a "better" price. I would also check online www.watchboutique.com

Tell them you heard about them on a ship and they'll give you a better price

Archived