Becab, Xunantunich, or dive?

islandwoman

The first choice of shore excursions for DH and me is usually the certified dive trip, but we've done the one in Belize before and are considering other options for our November cruise on the Carnival Dream. (We'll be diving in Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Roatan).

Which would you recommend and why?

Xunantunich Mayan Ruins

Becab Eco Park Horseback Safari

Becab Eco Park Jungle Adventure Bike

Becab Eco Park Kayak Creek Expedition

Turneffe 2-tank Dive

I'm leaning toward Xunantunich, but maybe that's only because I don't know anything about the Eco Park excursions (Can't find much by searching here either). We've been to Altun Ha, Chichen Itza, and Tikal and enjoyed all of them.

image.php?code=0XT132deb5Xk1Xs23XCarnival%20Dream

The Carnival excursion to Xuantunich was excellent. The ruins area about 1 mile from the Guatemalan border. The view from the highest pyramid is spectacular. The Belizean countryside that you pass through to get there is beautiful. After the bus ride we crossed a river on a raft we were then taken by van up to the Visitor's Center to start the tour of the ruins. They let us climb the ruins. The guide was great. After the ruins they took us to a hotel for lunch. It was typical Belizean fare - chicken and rice. Very tasty and nobody got sick. It was a great day. I had been to Belize many times before and done water sports and Altun Ha. Altun Ha is not much when compared to Xuantunich. I did this tour as a single, but soon met other's who's travel companions also wanted to do something else. We bonded quickly. There was great group camraderie that day and I did not regret going alone on the tour.

We did Becab Eco Park, just the park with buttefly pavillion and lunch, not the activities. I can't recommend it. I wouldn't go back. Just not that impressive. Again, we didn't do the activities you mention. We spent the day at the pool mostly. The slide in the pool would not pass inspection if in the US. It was poorly designed to the point that my daughter hit her head when coming off of the end of it. She was sliding normally on it. Overall, from what I saw, it was a very average place. Also, it takes about an hour to get there. Not worth it.

Archived