Downgrade Fairy?

jcaviateur

I just got back from my "free" cruise with NCL! Here's the scoop...

I know there's the Upgrade Fairy, but a Downgrade Fairy? About a week prior to embarakation on the Star, I received a call from NCL about my cruise. They wanted to know if I would be willing to give up my balcony cabin and downgrade to an obstructed view cabin. In return, I would receive a full refund on my fare, less taxes. Well, as much as I was looking forward to my balcony, a free cruise is hard to pass up!! So, adios balcony! :)

I've never heard of this happening before. It sounds similar to when an airline is overbooked and ask for volunteers in exchange for compensation. Anybody experience this before?

I'll write up a review and post a video tour of the ship soon.

One of our best cruises EVER was in an obstructed view cabin on the Jade. We were even offered an upgrade to a minisuite for a good price but decided to stay with our obtrructed view cabin for two cruises adding up to 21 days! We had a good view between and around life boats and it was on deck 8 mid ship so convenient to everything! I would take the refund IN A HEARTBEAT!:D

I know there's the Upgrade Fairy, but a Downgrade Fairy? About a week prior to embarakation on the Star, I received a call from NCL about my cruise. They wanted to know if I would be willing to give up my balcony cabin and downgrade to an obstructed view cabin. In return, I would receive a full refund on my fare, less taxes. Well, as much as I was looking forward to my balcony, a free cruise is hard to pass up!! So, adios balcony! :)

I've never heard of this happening before. It sounds similar to when an airline is overbooked and ask for volunteers in exchange for compensation. Anybody experience this before?

This is an interesting question. A couple of weeks ago I was reading about this very topic on the Princess treads. I was amazed because I had never heard of this before. The "downgrade" stories were simular, a phone call explaining the situation and a good offer to make the change. In the end everyone seemed happy to be getting such a great deal.

Had a similar experience happen to me on a cruise to Alaska several years ago. I had a balcony room and a couple weeks before sailing NCL called. They offered to refund the entire cost of the cruise and give me a balcony cabin on any available upcoming cruise, free. I had to make some vacation changes, but a free cruise can't be beat.

What a great deal. Last year we were booked on the Star in an AB and received a phone call from our TA. She let us know that we had been downgraded to a mini suite and that NCL would give us as I recall $100.00 in OBC. This was because of the refitting work on deck 12. They ended up moving us to the Pearl as a mini wasn't adequate for the family. If they had offered a deal like yours we might have made it work though.

This happened with my brother. However, he was offered a HUGE price difference if he would take an inside cabin on the same cruise he was booked with. He had a balcony. He did it because it was a big price difference.

I think it's great that NCL offered a solution that was so mutually benificial.

If they had offered you something lame, we'd all snicker, and NCL would look cheap and unorganized.

Way to go, NCL. No one is perfect, but it's cool that you are interested in keeping your customers happy.

This hasn't happened to us on NCL but a few years ago Princess offered us a full refund less the taxes and port fees, if we downgraded from a balcony to an inside room. But we were too slow to respond and it was gone before we said yes. It would have been a good deal but I needed to talk with my sister before I agreed and by the time I got back with our TA, Princess had found all the ones they needed. Oh well, we enjoyed our balcony!

Hey, free is always good! I'd most likely take the deal (unless the room was above the Karaoke Bar, or something) and then spend the "windfall" on the spa pass, specialty restaurants, really cool shore excursions, a round for all my new cc friends. . . :)

Dang!!!! I'd have given up the balcony too!!!!!! WooHOOOO!! So happy for you!

oh wow - I do love a balcony but a full refund less tax - oh what a choice

Now though - what happens if they ring to take you out of suite perks for a free cruise - would you do that I wonder?

I think I'd have to insist on keeping the suite perks too from my obstructed view - especially breakfast in cagneys

This happens when the ships over sell, which is rare. Yes, it is about like the airline oversells. They first try to get some people to change their cruise dates by offering them free cruises, upsells, OBC whatever. Then they take the cabins that people have given up and work with them. I will say it is very rare.

Nita

I bet another reason for the 'downsell' fairy to call is when your cabin has a mechanical issue on the prior cruise. This month on the Pearl I saw no issues with flooding, etc, but on Sky I saw a dozen room with the beds out and carpet dryers going. I'm sure they hold onto a few room for when issues arise...

Yes, this happened to me a few years ago on the Crown Princess. I heard about it on the boards, called my TA and she got us the deal (she'd gotten a fax about it from Princess, too, but I called her before she called me).

Was AWESOME! I'd do it again in a heartbeat if we could make it work (now, I'm married with a baby, so..... who knows if that deal will ever come again :) )

I bet another reason for the 'downsell' fairy to call is when your cabin has a mechanical issue on the prior cruise. This month on the Pearl I saw no issues with flooding, etc, but on Sky I saw a dozen room with the beds out and carpet dryers going. I'm sure they hold onto a few room for when issues arise...

It's funny you mention this. I know there were people staying in my original balcony cabin, as I walked by there. However, in my new cabin we had water issues. As it was explained to me, there was a water pipe break that affected about 5 cabins, including ours. Our water damage was pretty minimal compared to the other cabins, but we did have to stay in a temporary cabin for a few hours. The cabin next to us had it real bad. They tore out the whole carpet and had the dryers going. I'll detail this in a review that I'll be writing.

So do they offer a cash refund (or credited to your method of payment), or do they give you a voucher for a free future cruise? Big difference, IMO. I would (might) go for the first, but not the second.

Two different options. The first one is NOT a free cruise, but is money back. Second one is for free cruise.

Back to the OP - AWESOME!

No way would I give up my balcony for an inside. I have the money to pay for my balcony and I'm going on it. We did an inside oceanview once on the Majesty (last cruise) and that was enough for me. Nope. Keep your money. I'll keep my balcony.

Archived