Polignano a Mare from Bari

Karysa

You can take the public bus to Bari Centrale from the cruise port.

Line 20 from the port (Stazione Marittima) to the train station station (Stazione Ferroviaria, located at Piazza Moro) leaves from the port as follows:

Partenza dalla Stazione Marittima ( Porto ) 7.10 7.45 8.35 9.20 10.00 10.40 11.20 12.00 12.40 13.20 14.00 14.40 15.15 15.50 16.25 17.05 17.45 18.25 19.05 19.45 20.25 21.05 21.45

It returns from the train station to the port at the following times:

Partenza da P.zza Moro 7.25 8.05 9.00 9.40 10.20 11.00 11.40 12.20 13.00 13.40 14.20 14.55 15.30 16.05 16.45 17.25 18.05 18.45 19.25 20.05 20.45 21.25 22.00

The fare each way is € 0.70

You can see more information at the public bus web site: www.amtabservizio.it

I don't know if this link will work but if it does, it will show you the bus route: http://www.amtab.it/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=53&dlmaxfoot_dist=-1&dlmaxchange_dist=1&bw_gr_to_use_rbl=1&bw_type_rbl=0&txtbwTime_s=&txtbwTime_e=&txtbwDate=17%2F06%2F2011&txtComuneS=bari&txtComuneE=bari&txtIndirizzoS=stazione+marittima&txtIndirizzoE=stazione+ferrovia

Or you could just take cabs.

Edited by euro cruiser

You can take the public bus to Bari Centrale from the cruise port.

Line 20 from the port (Stazione Marittima) to the train station station (Stazione Ferroviaria, located at Piazza Moro) leaves from the port as follows:

Partenza dalla Stazione Marittima ( Porto ) 7.10 7.45 8.35 9.20 10.00 10.40 11.20 12.00 12.40 13.20 14.00 14.40 15.15 15.50 16.25 17.05 17.45 18.25 19.05 19.45 20.25 21.05 21.45

It returns from the train station to the port at the following times:

Partenza da P.zza Moro 7.25 8.05 9.00 9.40 10.20 11.00 11.40 12.20 13.00 13.40 14.20 14.55 15.30 16.05 16.45 17.25 18.05 18.45 19.25 20.05 20.45 21.25 22.00

The fare each way is € 0.70

You can see more information at the public bus web site: www.amtabservizio.it

I don't know if this link will work but if it does, it will show you the bus route: http://www.amtab.it/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=53&dlmaxfoot_dist=-1&dlmaxchange_dist=1&bw_gr_to_use_rbl=1&bw_type_rbl=0&txtbwTime_s=&txtbwTime_e=&txtbwDate=17%2F06%2F2011&txtComuneS=bari&txtComuneE=bari&txtIndirizzoS=stazione+marittima&txtIndirizzoE=stazione+ferrovia

Or you could just take cabs.

You have helped me so much on this thread and I am really grateful. :)

The bus looks like it would take about 15 minutes or so to me. Is that correct? I need to know so I can coordinate the bus and train times. Thanks again.

Yes, if all goes well the bus should take about 15 - 20 minutes. I would pad that, however, because the trains aren't all that frequent and you don't have unlimited time that afternoon.

The train back meets up to the bus schedule better than the bus-train schedule on the way to Polignano a Mare. How easy and long is the walk to the Bari Central from the cruise pier? Would you recommend this or is it too far? If it is we might just take a couple of taxi's. Do you know if taxi's for five are easy to come by in Bari?

It's a little over a mile from the cruise port (on Corso Antonio De Tullio) to Bari Centrale (at Piazza Moro). It's completely flat walking and mostly in a straight line, so if you have to walk you can do it in 20 - 30 minutes, depending on how fast you walk.

I'd probably take a couple of taxis to the train station and, if you aren't in a rush on the way back, walk the return.

It's a little over a mile from the cruise port (on Corso Antonio De Tullio) to Bari Centrale (at Piazza Moro). It's completely flat walking and mostly in a straight line, so if you have to walk you can do it in 20 - 30 minutes, depending on how fast you walk.

I'd probably take a couple of taxis to the train station and, if you aren't in a rush on the way back, walk the return.

I wish that the bus and train schedules matched up better on the way to Poignano a Mare but they don't so I think we will end up cabbing it or walking it to Bari Central because if it is between walking or standing around a train station for 30 minutes I think walking with our group is the better choice. Thanks so much for all of your advice.:)

• 1 month later...
You're very welcome! You can easily make a google walking map from the cruise port to the train station to take with you, using the addresses above.

I just google walking mapped this and it shows a distance of 4.8 km

It looks like you have to go way out of your way. Is there a walking path perhaps that the walking map didn't show? A cut through instead of going all the way around and back would cut the distance in half or more by the looks of it.

Edited by Karysa

• 2 weeks later...
I just google walking mapped this and it shows a distance of 4.8 km

It looks like you have to go way out of your way. Is there a walking path perhaps that the walking map didn't show? A cut through instead of going all the way around and back would cut the distance in half or more by the looks of it.

We're leaving on Monday so I thought that I would try one more time to get an answer to my question. Thanks again for all that have helped me so much on this thread. I will post here when I return.

We're leaving on Monday so I thought that I would try one more time to get an answer to my question. Thanks again for all that have helped me so much on this thread. I will post here when I return.

Karysa, did you use the pedestrian option when you made your google map? If not, it will send you a roundabout way due to one way streets.

Hi Karysa

I just came across your Polignano a Mare posts and want to tell you that we were there after a Transatlantic cruise on the Equinox last May as we spent some time in Bari, w here I was born and still have lots of family.

You certain ainly chose one of the most charming and well known seaside towns around Bari, and you will not be disappointed. While you are there be sure to go and see Grotta Palazzese which is a very picturesque Hotel and famous restaurant inside a huge cave, but I would not stop for lunch there as our lunch for 4 cost us about 200 euros for 4 plates of uninspiring pasta dishes and glass of wine. The views are amazing though!

August is also a very busy time there so I would rethink transportation if you could get a private car to take your family, so you avoid all the hassles of walking and looking for trains in the extreme heat, which I hear is happening there.

Enjoy your trip!!

Hi Karysa

I just came across your Polignano a Mare posts and want to tell you that we were there after a Transatlantic cruise on the Equinox last May as we spent some time in Bari, w here I was born and still have lots of family.

You certain ainly chose one of the most charming and well known seaside towns around Bari, and you will not be disappointed. While you are there be sure to go and see Grotta Palazzese which is a very picturesque Hotel and famous restaurant inside a huge cave, but I would not stop for lunch there as our lunch for 4 cost us about 200 euros for 4 plates of uninspiring pasta dishes and glass of wine. The views are amazing though!

August is also a very busy time there so I would rethink transportation if you could get a private car to take your family, so you avoid all the hassles of walking and looking for trains in the extreme heat, which I hear is happening there.

Enjoy your trip!!

Thanks for sharing. Since there are 9 of us in total a train seems like the best option. We will most likely take a taxi to the train station in Bari though because the bus and train schedule do not match up very well.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to all who helped me out on this thread. All I can say is wow!

We had such a great day in this beautiful town. It couldn't have been better!:)

In case there are others who want to give this gem of a place a try I will tell you how we ended up getting there. We took the local bus located just outside of the cruise pier to Bari Central train station. From there we purchased return tickets to Polignano a Mare. Five stops or 30 minutes later we arrived. We left the front door of the train station and walked down that street to the end and turned left and in about 100 metres or less we were on the bridge over looking the cove. There are steps down to the cove. In total it took about 15 minutes to get to the cove, if that. Bring water shoes if you have them or where your sandals to the water and leave them close to the shore as the rocks are a little tough on the feet. There is a tunnel on the left as you face the water, take it and you will see people cliff diving if you are as lucky as we were. There was shade over there as well and you can sit on the rock with your feet in the water. My 3 TD's and I had such a good time jumping off of the rock and hoisting ourselves back up on the rock with the rhythm of the waves. Make sure that you take some time and explore the nearby streets on both sides of the cove. You will not be disappointed that you did. The ice cream in Polignano a Mare is also a treat. The local way is to fill the cone with whipped cream, then add the ice cream and then dip the ice cream in whipped cream. It was the best ice cream that we have ever had. In total it cost 65 euros for 9 of us to get from the port and back and it was super easy.

If you do go there do not be surprised if you see crew members from the VOS there because one of the MDR staff wanted to see our pictures and it drew a large crowd and many staff asked for directions on how to get there.:)

Thanks again to all that helped me. I really don't think that I would have made it here on my own.

Thank you to all who helped me out on this thread. All I can say is wow!

We had such a great day in this beautiful town. It couldn't have been better!:)

In case there are others who want to give this gem of a place a try I will tell you how we ended up getting there. We took the local bus located just outside of the cruise pier to Bari Central train station. From there we purchased return tickets to Polignano a Mare. Five stops or 30 minutes later we arrived. We left the front door of the train station and walked down that street to the end and turned left and in about 100 metres or less we were on the bridge over looking the cove. There are steps down to the cove. In total it took about 15 minutes to get to the cove, if that. Bring water shoes if you have them or where your sandals to the water and leave them close to the shore as the rocks are a little tough on the feet. There is a tunnel on the left as you face the water, take it and you will see people cliff diving if you are as lucky as we were. There was shade over there as well and you can sit on the rock with your feet in the water. My 3 TD's and I had such a good time jumping off of the rock and hoisting ourselves back up on the rock with the rhythm of the waves. Make sure that you take some time and explore the nearby streets on both sides of the cove. You will not be disappointed that you did. The ice cream in Polignano a Mare is also a treat. The local way is to fill the cone with whipped cream, then add the ice cream and then dip the ice cream in whipped cream. It was the best ice cream that we have ever had. In total it cost 65 euros for 9 of us to get from the port and back and it was super easy.

If you do go there do not be surprised if you see crew members from the VOS there because one of the MDR staff wanted to see our pictures and it drew a large crowd and many staff asked for directions on how to get there.:)

Thanks again to all that helped me. I really don't think that I would have made it here on my own.

Hi, Karysa, thank you for the wonderful information. May I ask do the local people there speak English? Because I've been to some places in Italy where the local people speak mainly Italian. Did you have difficulties communicate with them when you purchased the train ticket? And how long do you think is enough for touring Polignano a Mare? Also, I've heard some people said Bari is not a very safe place, do you have the same feeling? And how about Polignano a Mare? Thanks a lot!

Hi, Karysa, thank you for the wonderful information. May I ask do the local people there speak English? Because I've been to some places in Italy where the local people speak mainly Italian. Did you have difficulties communicate with them when you purchased the train ticket? And how long do you think is enough for touring Polignano a Mare? Also, I've heard some people said Bari is not a very safe place, do you have the same feeling? And how about Polignano a Mare? Thanks a lot!

I had the names of where I wanted to go written out in Italian and when necessary I used it. The ticket salesperson in Bari did not speak much English but the notes helped. I used the same tactic when dealing with the locals in Polignano a Mare and they pointed me in the right direction. I loved it there and we used it as our beach day. We arrived in Polignano a Mare at 12:45 and left at 4:00. That was enough time for everyone to get what they wanted out of this town. In the cruise "paper of the day" they warned people about pick pocketing in Bari. I felt very, very safe in Polignano a Mare. It is very clean and not busy except for the cove area.

I had the names of where I wanted to go written out in Italian and when necessary I used it. The ticket salesperson in Bari did not speak much English but the notes helped. I used the same tactic when dealing with the locals in Polignano a Mare and they pointed me in the right direction. I loved it there and we used it as our beach day. We arrived in Polignano a Mare at 12:45 and left at 4:00. That was enough time for everyone to get what they wanted out of this town. In the cruise "paper of the day" they warned people about pick pocketing in Bari. I felt very, very safe in Polignano a Mare. It is very clean and not busy except for the cove area.

So, is 'Polignano a Mare' English or Italian? If it's English, can you tell me the Italian version of it, then I can use the same tactic as you. Also, do you know the Italian for the 'return ticket', so I can buy it in the Bari Station as well. Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it since we are not that kind of the 'ship excursion' people, we like to do things on our own, however, if we don't have confidence, we have to do the ship's since we don't want to miss the ship. Thanks again!

So, is 'Polignano a Mare' English or Italian? If it's English, can you tell me the Italian version of it, then I can use the same tactic as you. Also, do you know the Italian for the 'return ticket', so I can buy it in the Bari Station as well. Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it since we are not that kind of the 'ship excursion' people, we like to do things on our own, however, if we don't have confidence, we have to do the ship's since we don't want to miss the ship. Thanks again!

You may want to print out some of the language tools from this link. I always have the 1 page (2 sided) pocket phrase guides with me when traveling.

http://www.livinglanguage.com/products/additional

The funny thing is, I gave my notes to the head waiter to use for his trip so I can't really remember which words I had written down for this port. The one I do remember is the cove called Covo dei Saraceni. If I remember correctly the locals pronounced it Covo dei Saracheni when I asked for directions. I remember gesturing with my hands when asking for return tickets at the train station. I pointed when I said to "Polignano a Mar eh" and brought my hand back when I was asking for return tickets to Bari.

One thing that I should point out is that Lecce is where the train for Polignano is headed for and that is what is on the board at the train station when you look at departures.

It was really easy and the locals were really nice and helpful. On our way back to the train station a man shouted out to me and waved to me from across the street. When I looked closer at him I recognized him as the man who helped me out in the morning. Oh and once you return to Bari and want to purchase bus tickets back to the port just cross the strret and you will see all sorts of buses and a outside station to purchase tickets. Our bus was line 20 and it dropped us off where we caught it in the morning.

We caught the 12:14 train going and the 4:02 on the way back and we and we arrived back on board before 5:30 which gave us 2 hours to spare. Since the trains run frequently, I have no reservations recommending this do it yourself excursion what-so-ever.

The funny thing is, I gave my notes to the head waiter to use for his trip so I can't really remember which words I had written down for this port. The one I do remember is the cove called Covo dei Saraceni. If I remember correctly the locals pronounced it Covo dei Saracheni when I asked for directions. I remember gesturing with my hands when asking for return tickets at the train station. I pointed when I said to "Polignano a Mar eh" and brought my hand back when I was asking for return tickets to Bari.

One thing that I should point out is that Lecce is where the train for Polignano is headed for and that is what is on the board at the train station when you look at departures.

It was really easy and the locals were really nice and helpful. On our way back to the train station a man shouted out to me and waved to me from across the street. When I looked closer at him I recognized him as the man who helped me out in the morning. Oh and once you return to Bari and want to purchase bus tickets back to the port just cross the strret and you will see all sorts of buses and a outside station to purchase tickets. Our bus was line 20 and it dropped us off where we caught it in the morning.

We caught the 12:14 train going and the 4:02 on the way back and we and we arrived back on board before 5:30 which gave us 2 hours to spare. Since the trains run frequently, I have no reservations recommending this do it yourself excursion what-so-ever.

Thank you sooooo much for your detailed description, I will print out your 'notes' for the visit to Polignano a Mare. Hope we will enjoy this city as much as you did. Thanks again!

Thank you sooooo much for your detailed description, I will print out your 'notes' for the visit to Polignano a Mare. Hope we will enjoy this city as much as you did. Thanks again!

You are very welcome.

I hope that I did not build it up too much. That happened to me in Venice. In my mind it was this oh so romantic and mysterious place and it turned out to be my least favorite port.

• 1 month later...
You are very welcome.

I hope that I did not build it up too much. That happened to me in Venice. In my mind it was this oh so romantic and mysterious place and it turned out to be my least favorite port.

Hi, Karysa, I just want to thank you again for your very handy information, I just got back from the Adriatic sea cruise, we followed your instruction and were able to go to where we want very easily plus we also had a very wonderful and enjoyable lunch there. Thanks again and I really appreicate it. ^_^

Hi, Karysa, I just want to thank you again for your very handy information, I just got back from the Adriatic sea cruise, we followed your instruction and were able to go to where we want very easily plus we also had a very wonderful and enjoyable lunch there. Thanks again and I really appreicate it. ^_^

Glad to hear that you enjoyed this little gem on the Adriatic.:)