Amsterdam Hotels - Krasnapolsky, Radisson SAS, or Sheraton Pulitzer

Trying to decide between these 3 hotels - or any other of the same caliber that someone may recommend. Anyone that has been to any of these hotel and would like to comment, it would be greatly appreciated. We will be staying in Amsterdam after our cruise in May.

I am also trying to find information on Tours in Amsterdam.

Thanks so much!

Mary Lou

Of the 2 Hotel Krasnapolsky is the eldest, nicely renovated and situated on Dam Square, very central but chances of trafficnoise.

Pulitzer is situated along one of the canals, the front is actually still the front of the old canalhouses. Close to the center, walking distance - very nice too.

Radisson SAS is also former canalhouses. One fof the bars still looks like part of the building. They have a variety of rooms, like art-deco, dutch, scandinavian etc. Some rooms offer canalview others have a view of the inside garden.

Close to the center also, walking distance.

Difficult to make a decision, but I would choose between Pulitzer and Radisson.

We have stayed at both the Krasnapolsky and the Sheraton Pulitzer. The Pulitzer is nearby the Anne Franck house while the Krasnapolsky is directly in dam square. We enjoyed both and each had its pros and cons. Location in the middle of everything goes to the K while quiet and interesting accomodations goes to the P. It was not a far walk from the P to everything, but if you want to be able to just "step out and be there" go with the K. The P was also far more expensive than our K stay but that might have changed. Each one has very good restaurants. Even if you do not stay at the K, it is worth the visit as this hotel is very interesting and the atrium restaurant is beautiful. K was also much more busy than the laid back P.

Regardless, you will enjoy either. Can not comment on the Radisson as we have not stayed there.

Thank you both for the quick and detailed replies.

Sunnystone: I will probably make the reservation with the K, as they are offering quite a nice price (Supersaver) online. Can you give me a few more details about the room - was the bed comfortable, how big was the room, what was the view? Also, did you eat in their restaurant? I see that they charge 22 euros for breakfast - that is a little pricey, but we saw similar when we stayed at the lodges in the Canadian Rockies last summer. (Of course, the prices in Canadian dollars were to our advantage, unlike the euro.)

Mary Lou

Around Krasnapolsky on Rokin as well as Damrak (streets on either side of Damsquare) and in the store Bijenkorf you have plenty places that offer breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Thank you both for the quick and detailed replies.

Sunnystone: I will probably make the reservation with the K, as they are offering quite a nice price (Supersaver) online. Can you give me a few more details about the room - was the bed comfortable, how big was the room, what was the view? Also, did you eat in their restaurant? I see that they charge 22 euros for breakfast - that is a little pricey, but we saw similar when we stayed at the lodges in the Canadian Rockies last summer. (Of course, the prices in Canadian dollars were to our advantage, unlike the euro.)

Mary Lou

I did a little more investigating and found a great AARP rate for the Sheraton Pulitzer which also includes the breakfast buffet. The only drawback was that you had to prepay. However, since I have trip insurance (and I checked with the company) this would be covered if I had to cancel. The rate for the 3 nights, including the breakfast buffet was 200 euros less than just the room for 3 nights at the "K". I am looking forward to our stay there.

Now - to find a good guide book - any recommendations?

Mary Lou

I cannot really tell you abt. american guides for Europe, but maybe ""insight guides""?

Also have a look at the links I mentioned, you will be surprised to see what you can find there.

Ine

I cannot really tell you abt. american guides for Europe, but maybe ""insight guides""?

Also have a look at the links I mentioned, you will be surprised to see what you can find there.

Ine

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Mary Lou,

Richard and I stayed at the Sheraton Pulizer a few years ago and absolutely loved it.

We were close to everything and even found a favourite brown pub in the Jordann.

And the breakfast which was included at the Pulizer is the VERY BEST I have ever seen or eaten in all my years of travelling!

We have been back to amsterdam twice but couldn't afford the Pulizer again, so if you can find a good deal that includes breakfast, I think you will be very pleased.

Have a great trip.

Carol Ann Westbrook

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Mary Lou,

Richard and I stayed at the Sheraton Pulizer a few years ago and absolutely loved it.

We were close to everything and even found a favourite brown pub in the Jordann.

What is a "brown pub" ?

Thanks for the good words about the Pulitzer. We are really looking forward to our stay there.

Mary Lou

Even the Dutch love this hotel. Little canal houses connected with lots of character. The K hotel is generic and the room would be generic. The Pulitzer has small rooms with character looking at a beautiful garden or canals (which can be noisy) with beamed ceilings and odd shapes. Great Prix Fixe restaurant three blocks south is "UIT" or OUT in in American english. 30 euros per person for 3 courses and 10 euros xtra if you take the wine pairing with your meal......this is a great find, have Esther the concierge at Pulitzer make you a reservation in advance. Avoid the restaurants around the Ann Frank House.....very touristy. If you are down around the Opera house by the Marriott hotel, you might want to eat a typical Dutch meal at the Blonde Hollander which serves dutch cuisine, mussels and fries...pea soup with ham.....various fish and meats its cheap and good.

Lastly.....when you arrive walk north one block from the pulitzer and go buy yourself 10 euros of flowers for your room from the nice flower guy by the church there.....They will light up your room and they are always beautiful. It is amazing what 10 euros buys you with him.

Enjoy and bring your walking shoes....Amsterdam is an amazing city.

Archived