? about permission for diving son

lawofraven

We will be taking a cruise in December. My son (will be 16 at that time) is going to be diving with his step-father. We already will have a signed permission slip from my son's father to meet cruise ship requirements. Should we also have my ex sign some type of permission slip for the foreign dive sites? Specifically Caymans, Cozumel, and Playa. We have a form that we use for the local quarry but not sure if it will be sufficient. Also if form is needed should we have a copy made in spanish? Any advice or if any one knows of a link to a thread that has already discussed this would be helpful. Thank you.

Angie

I take it that you are mom and you are traveling with your husband and your son, his step-son. I don't think that you will need permission from his biological father for him to dive. The reason you need permission from his biological father to travel outside the country is a custody issue. In the past, some parents who did not have custody rights did take their children out of the country with the permission of the parent who did have legal custody. The real problem was when they took the kids to another country and disappeared. You can imagine the distress this caused the other parent.

Be sure that you are around to sign any needed permission form when your son is going diving and I think that you will be fine.

Also it is a good idea to have your travel permission paper notarized as it is signed.

Thanks Bruce r. You are correct the traveling party consists of me, DH, my son and my mother. While DH and son are diving my MOm and I were going to explore the ports. I'll just make sure I'm at the dive shop to sign any forms first.

Angie

Hi Angie,

You should have two documents:

1) The notarized letter you describe below (make sure it's notarized--you may not be allowed to board without it) documenting your ex's permission to take your son out of the country and naming everyone he's traveling with (you, your husband, and grandma).

2) A power of attorney for your husband in which you authorize him to act on your behalf in cases concerning your son (schools, courts, hospitals, dive shops, etc.). In most cases in the U.S. a marriage license will suffice in most of these cases but I wouldn't take chances overseas.

I have raised my beloved son and daughter for years but I am actually their step-mother and, until they reached age 18, carried a power of attorney in my wallet at all times just in case.

Kathi

I think we have already covered the medical part. We purchase cruise insurance plus DAN for diving. The ex has authorized all of it so far. While he is in this rare generous mood I think I'll hit him up for just a few more signatures. This whole thing would just be easier if I could dive. Someday my ear will clear..But then I have to take some classes again. Thanks for everything.

Angie

Angie,

You don't need anyone's permission to execute a power of attorney for your husband. What you're doing is sharing YOUR (not your ex's) parental rights with DH. It will allow him to authorize medical treatment, deal with schools and police authorities (god forbid) but it doesn't negate or interfere with any custody agreements.

Sorry to hear your ear is keeping you from diving--I've got glass eardrums myself. We dove Cayman and Cozumel a few weeks ago and I ended up with an ear infection (fortunately not until after our last dive). But it was worth it!

Kathi

Archived