10 year old boys in Bermuda Shorts?

Soxfan05

He will look very nice.....bermuda shorts on a ten year old are just fine...he will be neat and handsome......shorts on adults in the dining room for dinner are what are not done.

I agree that bermuda shorts, polo's and topsiders are a very dressy look for boys, and I asked the same question on another board because I was planning on having my boys wear the same thing.

You wouldn't believe all the flack I got about "no shorts allowed, don't be a slob, yada, yada"...I'm packing them anyway, I'm quite sure my boys will look a lot nicer than some people in their cheesy long pants. Whoops, did I just say that? Darn right I did!;)

I don't want to argue the no shorts rule. If you chose to wear shorts even though it says no shorts (not adults, no shorts) each family to their own. Just be aware the dining room is freezing cold in my families opinion. My son has to wear long sleeves and pants to tolerate sitting for 90 minutes during dinner. I have seen many families caught off gaurd by how chilly it is. Please bring some sort of sweater or cardigan for the kids. Many kids have one "dinner" outfit (pants and top) they wear to the show and dining room almost every night. They run back to the cabin to change out of it and head back to kids club in whatever they wore during the day.

We've vacationed at all inclusives where "no shorts" was the rule in the nicer restaurants but that only applied to adults. We were told the kid could without a problem so long as they were dress shorts. The rule was strictly enforced in regard to adults. I wasn't sure if the same held true on cruise lines.

I just got off the phone with RCCL. (can you tell this was bugging me) I was told by a CSR that NICE, DRESS SHORTS are totally acceptable on boys who are under the age of 11 or 12.

When I told her there was much conjecture on some online boards about this subject she told me to "hold on" and would ask a supervisor. Her supervisor reiterated that nice dress shorts are welcome on boys.

I'm glad to have this confirmed. I think many people think the aversion to long pants is not wanting to buy them or kids not wearing them. For me, it's just that I love the way a little boy looks in a nice pair of bermuda shorts and a dress shirt and deck shoes.

I'm sure he will look as nice (If not nicer) than many other people on board. Just have a back up pair of pants in case he finds the dining room and showroom as cold as my son. I have read in the past people stating that they were not bringing ANY pants for their kids (just shorts and sundresses) I fear they will have kids caught off gaurd by the level of airconditioning.

Thanks for the tips and the info on the temp of the dining room. I'll definitely have dress pants with us, I just like to mix it up a bit. I hate to say it but I'm averse to them wearing the same thing more than once. Just a "thing" I have. I've seen pics in the brochures of women in strapless and spaghetti strap dresses and wondered if it was that warm in the dining room.

With all my cruises, it's definitely been cool more often than not. When we take our kids, I take along a tan and navy pair of "dockers" style pants for my son (you can get them for $10 at Wal-Mart). Alternate these with a nice polo or button down and you have a comfy, neat, yet warm outfit. I don't have a problem with the shorts on boys, but I would be concerned about the temp - although it seems kids aren't as sensitive to these things as we adults are lol.

On Princess, it was definitely "no shorts" for everyone. My son wore them on the first night because our luggage had not arrived in our room yet, but on the other nights it was long pants. I looked around and didn't see any kids in shorts at all. I agree with the other posters - the dining rooms are really cold. My son has no body fat (yes, I'm jealous!:D ), and I know if I had let him wear shorts he -and I- would have been miserable. He wore shorts during the day and alternated between 2 pairs of pants for dinner. He changed back into his shorts every night except the formal ones, when the other kids stayed dressed as well. Have a wonderful time!:)

Archived