Safe, tips and anything else I think of...

single76

Is there a safe in the room? How large is it?

I understand that kids are "charged" with the tips too, but what about those at the kids club, do you tip them or are they included? If the little one likes it and spends time there I would think they would deserve a little extra appreciation.

Does Disney charge or have internet access? Would it be better to bring my own laptop? I'm really thinking I wouldn't need internet, but maybe bring it to download my pictures. Would it be safe in the room as I'm guessing the safe wouldn't hold it.

Also, passport for a 4 1/2 year old. I know he needs one, but there are 2 kinds? A book or a card? Can anyone explain the difference and suggest what might be best?

Finally are there fun Disney games like all the hidden Mickey's at the parks on the ship? Is there any of that to get him excited with?

I suppose that is it for now. TIA

Is there a safe in the room? How large is it?

I understand that kids are "charged" with the tips too, but what about those at the kids club, do you tip them or are they included? If the little one likes it and spends time there I would think they would deserve a little extra appreciation.

Does Disney charge or have internet access? Would it be better to bring my own laptop? I'm really thinking I wouldn't need internet, but maybe bring it to download my pictures. Would it be safe in the room as I'm guessing the safe wouldn't hold it.

Also, passport for a 4 1/2 year old. I know he needs one, but there are 2 kinds? A book or a card? Can anyone explain the difference and suggest what might be best?

Finally are there fun Disney games like all the hidden Mickey's at the parks on the ship? Is there any of that to get him excited with?

I suppose that is it for now. TIA

As far as tipping the kids club staff, we have in the past, but they really like for you to mention them in the survey card if they did a good job with your child. A pat on the back goes a long way!

I have been on the Magic and Wonder, never been on the Dream, but the safe's on both the Magic and Wonder held my laptop just fine. Internet is expensive!

I know that you can get a Passport card now, I am not sure if there is an age limit on those or how you get one.

Have fun!

I can't answer them all but here is what I can.

- Yes they have a safe. It is an on small side. We usually lock up our wallets as soon as we arrive, you don't need any money, just your Key to the World Card. I also suggest not wearing jewerly when you are at Castaway Cay and locking it up in the safe. You don't want to loose something special in the ocean.

- Tips are always optional. But you will receive a tipping guide when you get your cruise documents and it is per person. It is a guideline, but we stick fairly close. When we get exceptional service from our dining room staff, we give more. AND we always tip our Palo's staff separately, they are not included in the standard tips.

(and I know some of you will say the extra you pay to dine there is for them, but it isn't.)

- As for tips in the kids area, I hope someone else can step in here, we don't have kids.

- We have always brought a laptop with us so we can watch dvds while dressing etc. Never had a problem. But do bring a computer cable so you can lock it to somethine solid.

- Internet access is available. There are several packages of time you can choose from. Call the Disney Cruise line directly for the latest pricing. A big BUT is we have found it to be very slow. A per minute plan may not be worth it, not to mention the time you'll spend waiting for screens to change when you should be out having fun. We have never bothered to purchase it.

- From what I've heard, there are tons of fun things to do at the kids club. I even think your little one is of the age where they practice a "show" that they put on for their parents at the end of the cruise. Just search this Board for kids programs and you should find lots of information. If you travel during a Holiday, there are Holiday specific parties and events. We've cruised during Halloween three times and see the kids trick or treating around the ship.

Hope this helps a little. Use the Search feature of this board to get more information.

There are hidden Mickeys on the ship. Many are obvious but several are hidden very well.:)

Not sure if the Dream is the same as the other ships but on the older ships they had a paper with hints to find hidden Miclkeys around the ship at Guest Services. You had to ask for it.

They use to have a scavenger hunt for Castaway Cay too. Not sure if they still do it but it was alot of fun and you could take all day to do it. It was in the Navigator paper.

Your child is NOT required to posess a passport for a cruise of this itinerary (assuming that you are all US citizens), just a birth certificate.

However he will need a passport to fly back to the US if something happens (miss ship, someone gets sick, etc.).

The card passport is a waste of money on these cruises, it has the same functionality as a birth certificate i.e. you cannot use it to fly.

To be fully prepared, the full passport is always the best option.

Another thing. if you use a birth certificate make extra-doubly sure that it's a certified birth certificate. It will be issued by a government entity, NOT the fancy color certificate that the hospital sometimes gives out AND it will have a raised seal. I haven't heard about it happening latey but they will turn you away from the check-in desk if the BC is not valid.

Archived