Things to Do - walking distance of pier

JannyLyn

Just wondering what sorts of things there are to do that are within walking distance of the pier.

Can you see a good part of the town this way?

We're looking to just have a laid back day wandering around, seeing some local sites and just enjoying Barbados.

I'm trying to decide between this and doing a 1/2 day land tour.

Thanks!

If you're there on a weekday, you could do a tour of Mount Gay rum factory, it's walking distance (maybe a mile or so). Cost is about $7 per person, and it's actually pretty fun, they let you try rums afterwards. Also there are a few beaches walking distance, don't beleive any cabbies you run into that'll tell you the beach is far!

• 6 months later...

It depends on how far you want to walk.:)

You can walk to the Caribbean Cigar Company and watch them make cigars. It's in Pelican Village about half way to town. People who like arts/crafts may enjoy Pelican Village, because it's a shopping center created for made-in-Barbados crafts.

I walked back from Mount Gay on my last cruise. I was in a cab on my way to Payne Beach when I saw a beach that was not too far from the ship, so I told the driver to let me off at that beach. Turned out it was Brandon Beach and it's lovely! Mostly locals go there, so it's not one of the crowded, tourist beaches.

I had the BEST flying fish at the beach bar/restaurant. They called them Flying Fish Fingers, and they were perfectly fried and seasoned.

Another couple from the ship was there. They had taken the Mount Gay tour, and they decided to go to that beach instead of going back to the ship, so we walked back to the ship together. I mapped that route on my GPS, and will try to post it soon.

There are some very cute Caribbean houses in that neighborhood, so we took photos (they're included in my GPS trail).

My preference is for narrated tours so I can learn about the area. But, if you've already taken an island tour in Barbados, this is an option.

Thank you for your reply. This is our 3rd trip to Barbados and we have not done MG Rum Factory. We have done Boatyard before but do you know the distance between these two locations?

I will definitely like to do Caribbean Cigar b/c many friends traveling with us are cigar people! Pelican Village sounds interesting.

My mouth is watering thinking about the "Flying Fish Fingers". Have to try that also!

Thanks!

It depends on how far you want to walk.:)

You can walk to the Caribbean Cigar Company and watch them make cigars. It's in Pelican Village about half way to town. People who like arts/crafts may enjoy Pelican Village, because it's a shopping center created for made-in-Barbados crafts.

I walked back from Mount Gay on my last cruise. I was in a cab on my way to Payne Beach when I saw a beach that was not too far from the ship, so I told the driver to let me off at that beach. Turned out it was Brandon Beach and it's lovely! Mostly locals go there, so it's not one of the crowded, tourist beaches.

I had the BEST flying fish at the beach bar/restaurant. They called them Flying Fish Fingers, and they were perfectly fried and seasoned.

Another couple from the ship was there. They had taken the Mount Gay tour, and they decided to go to that beach instead of going back to the ship, so we walked back to the ship together. I mapped that route on my GPS, and will try to post it soon.

There are some very cute Caribbean houses in that neighborhood, so we took photos (they're included in my GPS trail).

My preference is for narrated tours so I can learn about the area. But, if you've already taken an island tour in Barbados, this is an option.

Would going to Mount Gay for the tour, then Brandon Beach for snorkeling, ending with Pelican Village for shopping be doable from the cruise ship? About how far between each?

Thanks

I would be careful about walking all the way to the Mount Gay rum tour regardless. We took a taxi there last year, only to find out it was closed to the general public (perhaps booked up with ship's tours? Not sure). Would not want to have walked that far only to find it closed. At least we were able to choose a Plan B and go to a nearby beach.

Archived