San Juan on Mother's Day Sun May 8th

Venusleo1

My plans have been thrown for a loop. We are disembarking Serenade on Saturday the 7th and I booked us on the bio bay excursion for that night with an overnight stay at Marriot Stellaris and then we were suppose to fly out on a 10am flight Sunday morning May 8th... welll my airline called me yesterday to inform me they have cancelled my flight and we have been moved to the next available flight out at 4:20pm. :mad:

I did not have any plans for this day and now I am trying to make some but it seems that Mother's day is a big holiday in Puerto Rico.

The Barcardi factory is closed, we are doing the segway tour pre-cruise April 30th I asked them if we could change to Sunday May 8th but they are all booked up through the cruise ships and I saw on a few websites that the stores will be closed as well so I'm not sure there will be much to see/do in Old San Juan to go walk around on our own.

I dont want to do anything that will get us "dirty" or icky cause we'll have no place to go clean up before heading to the airport, so beaching it or hiking the rainforest wouldnt really work.

Anyone have any ideas?

My plans have been thrown for a loop. We are disembarking Serenade on Saturday the 7th and I booked us on the bio bay excursion for that night with an overnight stay at Marriot Stellaris and then we were suppose to fly out on a 10am flight Sunday morning May 8th... welll my airline called me yesterday to inform me they have cancelled my flight and we have been moved to the next available flight out at 4:20pm. :mad:

I did not have any plans for this day and now I am trying to make some but it seems that Mother's day is a big holiday in Puerto Rico.

The Barcardi factory is closed, we are doing the segway tour pre-cruise April 30th I asked them if we could change to Sunday May 8th but they are all booked up through the cruise ships and I saw on a few websites that the stores will be closed as well so I'm not sure there will be much to see/do in Old San Juan to go walk around on our own.

I dont want to do anything that will get us "dirty" or icky cause we'll have no place to go clean up before heading to the airport, so beaching it or hiking the rainforest wouldnt really work.

Anyone have any ideas?

It is a big holiday in PR, but most things will be open in the tourist district (SJ/OSJ). The forts are open, and some of the shops etc. Most of the tours should be available. How about a walking or bike tour and then a nice meal? Maybe find a tour to the gardens(in SJ or Caguas).

You won't get really dirty/icky at the rain forest, and you can clean up at their bathrooms (or the ones at the airport). Or go to a beach with showers/bathrooms/changing rooms.

Thank you for getting back to me rainforestgirl, I knew that a local would have the answers! I'm going to search for a walking tour and then we'll go get some pina coladas at Barachina. I called them and they said they will be open regular hours. :)

We stopped in San Juan last Mother's Day while sailing on the Enchantment...many of the shops were closed and we attributed that to it being Mother's Day. This was the second time we were in San Juan as a port day, and the first time was on a weekday. Having sailed from there three prior times (and always embarking/disembarking on Sunday), I am now wondering if we just never noticed that everything is not open on Sunday.

We stopped in San Juan last Mother's Day while sailing on the Enchantment...many of the shops were closed and we attributed that to it being Mother's Day. This was the second time we were in San Juan as a port day, and the first time was on a weekday. Having sailed from there three prior times (and always embarking/disembarking on Sunday), I am now wondering if we just never noticed that everything is not open on Sunday.

It is possible they were closed for Mother's Day, it is a national holiday, and everyone wants off to be with family. Stores outside the tourist zone legally have to be closed.

But in OSJ, I do expect some stores and some restaurants to be open. However, some stores, probably Don Q, definitely PRTC and all the museums except the forts will closed.

But most of the tours and excursion will run without a problem.

Archived