Have to cancel son's reservation b/o sports!

alys12

I commend you for that! And believe me I have spent many hours sitting on bleachers and fields. There was a family vacation gap in teen (summer job) years, but then we returned to vacationing as a group of all ages and several generations.

LOL! And then there's that! So true! Glad all those years are behind me now but am glad of all the fond memories and wouldn't change any of it.........now we will just have to sacrifise when the grand kids come along:D

There is really no need to get defensive since I was not commenting on your situation. Furthermore, it is not just mom and dad's vacation. It is a family vacation. Something the kid won't be able to participate in much longer if he is approx 14.

As long as Mom and Dad keep everyone's schedules in mind, it can happen as long as the kids want to go...My DS(16) will be a Senior next year and he will have cruised all through out HS (4 times) plus he played Basketball his Freshman/Sophomore year, Soccer all 4 years, and Band his Freshman year. He will be dual enrolled in college courses his Senior year along with taking AP courses. He just got his first part time paying job as a Soccer Referee today:). I took all this into consideration when booking our cruises this July and December (plus DH and my work schedules and DD's dance schedules). I know DS wants to cruise with us because he loves it as much as we do. Schedules can be worked around if the teenagers still want to travel with Mom and Dad...Believe me I've become an expert at working around them.:D

• 1 year later...
Your kid doesnt play in San Diego buy any chance at Madison High School?? Sounds like something our SOB of a varsity coach would say and do! Believe me, I have lived this nightmare for 3 years now. My son is a Junior. He goes as far as to control theri playing time if their hair isnt short enough! YES, HS BASEBALL COACHES ARE CRAZY!!. We havent done a spring break cruise in years because of the Lions Tournament and it is unacceptable to miss it. He missed a prepaid New Years cruise in 2009 because of a tournament at USD. I lost boocoo bucks..my son said flat out " if I dont show mom I will lose my starting position". It's also about recruiting and coaches recomendations. YOU DO NOT WANT TO PISS OF THE COACH!!! It is a sad, sad thing, but HS coaches are on a huge power trip and can control and do alot of damage for the college recuited player. Thank God we have travel coaches that can also back my son.. but HS.. It is a NIGHTMARE!!!:mad:

Reading these awesome posts. My Cousin teaches at Madison High School

I feel your pain. When my third son was a freshman, we had planned a ski vacation during spring break when he was in 8th grade. All the cousins and aunts and uncles in a big rental home. Lots of fun.

Then he makes the JV baseball team....they practiced everyday during spring break and had one game.

We explained to the coach that the trip was a huge family reunion and had been planned for a year. The coach was sympathetic but told us the hs baseball policy that would effect my son. He would sit for each practice missed and if he missed a game he would sit 3 more games.

My son chose to go on the trip. However, since my family had to take 2 cars, we decided I would return one day early with him so he could sit that first game.

Mother nature interferred.........every practice and the one Friday game was cancelled due to rain....and we stayed and had a great vacation.

The next year we planned no spring break vacations because we knew the polilcy.

It is a bad place to be in when you are a freshman. I won't even get into politics when you are dealing with sports like soccer and baseball where the coach can say...."I don't like the way you swing or attack the ball."

I've found sports teams that use a stopwatch like swimming, cross country, and track much fairer...and interestingly their coaches seem to be much more reasonable!

Good luck!!

I'm sorry your son had to cancel. I know that is frustrating. High school sports are different than the youth leagues.

It has been my experience that those kids on various teams that my sons have played on that asked for special dispensation from these kinds of rules (other than a family wedding or funeral) may not get cut from the team, but you can bet there was very little daylight between their hind ends and the bench for most of the season.

It is hard being a HS coach. You're always begging the district for money to fund your team. Then if you let a bunch of kids off the hook for spring break and they miss games, those games might have to be forfeited due to lack of players. That might end up hurting the entire program in the long run. It's hard to see this when you are "just one player",, but there might just be five or six other "Just one player" families trying the same thing. The coach has to lay down the rules and enforce them.

I hope you can still enjoy your cruise.

This isn't little league, it's high school sports. If you meddle, it will affect your son. Let him decide - cruise or baseball. It's time for mom to step back.

I have to schedule around my DS's schedule. I hate it, but thems the breaks.

We've been there, know the drill. We also understood that games and meets were held over spring break and Christmas holidays long before our daughter got to high school.

While it's easy to blame the coach appreciate the UIL gives high school teams a window to complete a set number of games in time for playoffs. That means giving up time when school is out and all of us would rather be on vacation. As I stated above, this isn't the first time the team has done this. They have little choice.

If you remove your son, or call the coach that's unneeded attention no high school athlete wants. Some may post messages with an underlying theme of "teaching the coach a lesson" or "family first." Appreciate that coach would most likely be on a cruise with his/her family on their spring break as well.

Just read the date on this thread! Old news!

After reading some of these responses it appears that either they have never had a child that played any HS sports or they themselves never had. All of my kids played HS sports and our summer vacation was on a soccer field or a baseball field all over the Midwest. We loved every minute of it.

WOW!!!

As a Mom, I would take him on the cruise if it meant losing his fare particularly as he is only a freshman.

My 18 yr old ds has decided to stay home on our upcoming cruise. However, he is supposed to be getting a job. We shall see if that happens.:rolleyes:

As a sports mom, I would not recommend this. They school will remember and it will effect his chances of making the team next year. A team sport, you have to put the team needs ahead of your own.

Archived