Just did Shipwreck Cove Snorkel Tour

cruise pup

I thought this was terrific and the staff is great. The boat leaves right from the cruiseship pier by the ferry dock. The boat is a converted military landing vessel so instead of a ladder you just slide of the boat when they lower the landing ramp into the water (the current pushes you back onto the ramp when you reboard). Immediately upon boarding we lined up for snorkel gear and they made sure your fins were the right size. Same for dive mask. We were divided into groups based on snorkel experience. I went with the expereinced group and our guide in the water was terrific. We saw all of the wrecks. We were each given fish food to guaranty lots of sealife. We also visited a shallow area with lots of coral and beautiful fish. I'm not the greatest swimmer but I still managed to cover the entire area with time to spare. There was also a group for snuba and the couple I met who chose that said it was wonderful. After we finished snorkeling the rum punch flowed and we were given a tour of part of the island. Saw some incredible yachts. After the tour the music was turned up and we partied (well sort of) on the way back to the dock. We were asked to fill out rating forms which, quelle suprise, turned out to double as tip envelopes. This approach was an improvement over the guides that say, "If you have any complaints, write them on a twenty dollar bill and hand it over on the way out." I gave the excursion high ratings but suggested that a crew member be posted at the landing ramp to assist people reboarding. It wasn't impossible but it could have been easier if someone was there to hand over the equipment as you remove it. Hope this helps.

Norway - 2/97;Leeward -12/97;
Grand Princess - 1/99; Leeward - 6/99; Dawn Princess - 11/99;Vision of the Seas - 6/00;Carnival Victory - 9/00; Zenith - 10/00
Mercury - 3/01; R1 -7/01; Grand Princess - 11/01; Majesty of the Seas - 12/01; Norwegian Star - 3/02;
Carnival Triumph - 7/02;
Maasdam - 11/02; Holiday - 12/02; Millennium - 4/03; Carnival Victory - 7/03; Zaandam - 8/03; Zuiderdam - 10/03; Enchantment of the Seas - 1/04; Galaxy - 3/04

I booked on the ship. The cost was $45. which I think was fair considereing I paid almost double for the Golden Eagle Catamaran and didn't enjoy that half as much.

Grand Princess - 1/99; Leeward - 6/99; Dawn Princess - 11/99;Vision of the Seas - 6/00;Carnival Victory - 9/00; Zenith - 10/00
Mercury - 3/01; R1 -7/01; Grand Princess - 11/01; Majesty of the Seas - 12/01; Norwegian Star - 3/02;
Carnival Triumph - 7/02;
Maasdam - 11/02; Holiday - 12/02; Millennium - 4/03; Carnival Victory - 7/03; Zaandam - 8/03; Zuiderdam - 10/03; Enchantment of the Seas - 1/04; Galaxy - 3/04

You said they offered Snuba? I WANT the info on this excursion. I have been looking for a snuba outfitter in St Martin & have come up blank...even told by a couple of dive shops that there were [B]not[/B] any on the island.
Please share with me all you can. Thanks.

Snorkelcat
Zuiderdam 2/03
Radiance 2/04
Caribbean 1/05

All I can tell you is that they do offer snuba and you have a separate team looking after you. I was sitting in the section of the boat where the team instructed the guests and they were very thorough on breathing technique and other concerns about the regulator.

Here's the description in the Celebrity Cruise Shore Excursion Page:

"This combination tour will allow you to experience the wonders of the undersea world without the need for cumbersome dive gear. No certification is necessary. Your instructor will provide the basics of this simple, easy and fun system, a 20 air hose connected to a tank on the surface, before leading you off our custom built snorkeling boat on your adventure in 12-20 feet of water. You will also have time to snorkel the old fashioned way at Shipwreck Cove. All necessary equipment (mask, snorkel, fins and air supply) is provided. This tour is fun for the whole family from 8 years old to 80 years young. Lively music, bar and boutique on board as well as ample sun decks and shade. Bottomless complimentary Rum Punch or Fruit Punch after snorkeling, other beverages available for purchase. Restrooms are provided."

Carnival Triumph - 7/02;

Archived