can you pay your own tips

I have been looking at a cruise on the independance and was just wondering if you can opt out of paying tips and pay your own we would go for set dining, also do they charge you 15% on top of your price for drinks.

Thankyou

Yes, the 15% is added to the price of the drinks. If you choose to pay your own tips you will receive an envelope on the second to the last day to put money in. IMHO, it's much easier to pre pay the tips and get it over with ... then you have nothing to think about other than enjoying your vacation!

Yes, the 15% is added to the price of the drinks. If you choose to pay your own tips you will receive an envelope on the second to the last day to put money in. IMHO, it's much easier to pre pay the tips and get it over with ... then you have nothing to think about other than enjoying your vacation!

I understand what you say and appreciate this is the norm in the USA but in Australia we only tip if we think we have received good service and on a service by service basis, not pay whatever. As Aussies we always remove the automatic tips from our account and use the envelopes at the end of the cruise when we believe it is warranted, especially given we have to pay the 15% each time we buy a drink whether we like it or not. Just saying.

Usually gratuities are automatically added to your onboard account. Just go to reception and tell them you want them removed as you want to do your own thing.

That's very sad to remove the tips. These people work very hard for their tips and it's a suggested part of the vacation. I believe most cruise lines add them in as a "service fee" ... I hope Royal Caribbean starts doing this for these hard working people that get stiffed at least 20% of the time.

What I don't understand is why does RCCL make it difficult (at least for me) to find what the tipping policy is on board the ships? Am I the only one who can only find the info by typing "tipping" or "gratuities" under search to find out the policy.

However, they do make it very simple - 3 clicks from the first page to discover that I need to make arrangements for my pets before leaving home. :rolleyes: So you think - hey maybe it is under top 10 FAQ's - questions most often asked by first time cruisers. We all know what questions those are if you visit the boards - Alcohol policy, dress code, and tipping seem to be the top 3. But according to the brain trust at the RCCL website the top 3 are - Do you have any specials; what kind of excursions; and can I check in in advance. Alcohol is the only one on the top 10 and it checks in at #9.

Okay, end of rant - and to the OP - sorry for hijacking your topic. You asked a valid question and Patty did and excellent job of answering.

But to get more info about tipping and possibly paying in advance - type "gratuities" in the search box on the first page of the RCCL website. Unless someone knows a better spot for the info.

Thankyou for your quick reply, would we be able to go to reception and tell them that we wish to pay our own or would they just add tips to our account.

No, they will not automatically add it to your account unless you instruct them to.

I understand what you say and appreciate this is the norm in the USA but in Australia we only tip if we think we have received good service and on a service by service basis, not pay whatever. As Aussies we always remove the automatic tips from our account and use the envelopes at the end of the cruise when we believe it is warranted, especially given we have to pay the 15% each time we buy a drink whether we like it or not. Just saying.

Usually gratuities are automatically added to your onboard account. Just go to reception and tell them you want them removed as you want to do your own thing.

I'm in the US but I agree with you....tipping should be optional and based on excellent service not just because. With that being said I always tip because it's the "normal" thing to do..... We even gave extra to our waiters on the Monarch because their service was stellar!

We must be very fortunate! I've been on at least 10 cruises and we have always received exceptional service. When I book I don't even give the tips a second thought - we usually prepay. I have learned that they will be well deserved. Not once have I considered reducing the recommended amount.

I hope the trend continues!! The incredible service is one of the reasons I love to cruise.

If you choose My Time Dining, the gratuities are automatically charged as part of your cruise fare.

The suggested tipping amounts have increased to $11.65 pp/day for new reservations made for sailings on or after July 1, 2011. I rarely tip more than the suggested amount, but I have never tipped less.

I see from your signature line you have traveled extensively around the world and should be aware of the norms for travellers in the different areas. It looks like you have also cruised on Royal Caribbean ships so you know the gratuities are not automatically added to your account like other cruise lines.

Also with your extensive travel experience I hope you realize that not all countries (US) require companies pay their employees a living wage. It is "Understood" in the US that certain wage earners incomes are supplemented to a living wage through tips/gratuities. That is the CUSTOM here and that is the CUSTOM on many mass market cruiselines.

In my much more limited cruising experience, the service I have received has always been excellent and like DebMarie posted - I would never consider not paying the minimal amount recommended by the cruise line. The service would have to be pretty horrendous for the staff to not have earned the minimums suggested.

I like to go with the idea that I'm going to receive excellent service and not with the negative idea that the service will be awful.

Thankyou for your quick reply, would we be able to go to reception and tell them that we wish to pay our own or would they just add tips to our account.

If you do a search on the RCCL homepage for Gratuity or tipping it will bring up the tipping policy. Tips can be prepaid before you board, you can pay at Guest Services once you are on board or you can pay in cash at the end of your cruise in envelopes provided. The only staff who are tipped in this manner are your cabin steward and the dining room wait staff. Bartenders and drink servers receive an automatic 15% with each drink purchase. Room service has a service charge after midnight otherwise it is customary to tip $1 - $5 depending on how much is ordered.

Hope this helps.

We must be very fortunate! I've been on at least 10 cruises and we have always received exceptional service. When I book I don't even give the tips a second thought - we usually prepay. I have learned that they will be well deserved. Not once have I considered reducing the recommended amount.

I hope the trend continues!! The incredible service is one of the reasons I love to cruise.

My thoughts exactly!

That's very sad to remove the tips. These people work very hard for their tips and it's a suggested part of the vacation. I believe most cruise lines add them in as a "service fee" ... I hope Royal Caribbean starts doing this for these hard working people that get stiffed at least 20% of the time.

I believe they want to pay the tips themselves rather than automatically have them deducted.

The 15% gratuity is already added into the price of drinks on the Independence when she is sailing from Southampton.

They will not automatically add the tips to your Sea Pass account.

You will recieve a letter with regards to tipping about half way through cruise...you can select then to pre pay tips if you wish ..they will then be charged to your Sea Pass (onboard account).

You can of course tip whenever,whoever,how much you want..during the cruise.

I never pre pay tips.

Gratuities are are a part of cruising and you've known that from the start. I feel sorry for those that are busting their backs for you if this is the appreciation you show.

Come on RCI, add the gratuities to the cruise fare so that your staff is always taken care of.

Gratuities are are a part of cruising and you've known that from the start. I feel sorry for those that are busting their backs for you if this is the appreciation you show.

Come on RCI, add the gratuities to the cruise fare so that your staff is always taken care of.

You really mean pay decent wages so the customers are not ripped off:rolleyes:

I think Patty was commenting about the post above hers and not to the OP.

What, the one that says this?

understand what you say and appreciate this is the norm in the USA but in Australia we only tip if we think we have received good service and on a service by service basis, not pay whatever. As Aussies we always remove the automatic tips from our account and use the envelopes at the end of the cruise when we believe it is warranted, especially given we have to pay the 15% each time we buy a drink whether we like it or not. Just saying.

understand what you say and appreciate this is the norm in the USA but in Australia we only tip if we think we have received good service and on a service by service basis, not pay whatever. As Aussies we always remove the automatic tips from our account and use the envelopes at the end of the cruise when we believe it is warranted, especially given we have to pay the 15% each time we buy a drink whether we like it or not. Just saying.

I was scratching my head over what tipping the bartenders and wait staff for drinks has to do with tipping cabin stewards and dining room staff.

I was scratching my head over what tipping the bartenders and wait staff for drinks has to do with tipping cabin stewards and dining room staff.

Kind of like - oh, I tipped the

Yes, that one!

I see from your signature line you have traveled extensively around the world and should be aware of the norms for travellers in the different areas. It looks like you have also cruised on Royal Caribbean ships so you know the gratuities are not automatically added to your account like other cruise lines.

Also with your extensive travel experience I hope you realize that not all countries (US) require companies pay their employees a living wage. It is "Understood" in the US that certain wage earners incomes are supplemented to a living wage through tips/gratuities. That is the CUSTOM here and that is the CUSTOM on many mass market cruiselines.

In my much more limited cruising experience, the service I have received has always been excellent and like DebMarie posted - I would never consider not paying the minimal amount recommended by the cruise line. The service would have to be pretty horrendous for the staff to not have earned the minimums suggested.

I like to go with the idea that I'm going to receive excellent service and not with the negative idea that the service will be awful.

If you do a search on the RCCL homepage for Gratuity or tipping it will bring up the tipping policy. Tips can be prepaid before you board, you can pay at Guest Services once you are on board or you can pay in cash at the end of your cruise in envelopes provided. The only staff who are tipped in this manner are your cabin steward and the dining room wait staff. Bartenders and drink servers receive an automatic 15% with each drink purchase. Room service has a service charge after midnight otherwise it is customary to tip $1 - $5 depending on how much is ordered.

Hope this helps.

My thoughts exactly!

Sorry but that is the herd mentality. Just because it's a CUSTOM in one place doesn't make it the NORM everywhere. The cruise lines should pay proper wages and if this means reflecting this in cruise prices, so be it. I need to be able to make my own decisions about who has provided good service and who hasn't. I agree generally most staff go above and beyond but I won't just assume everyone is like this and tip blindly.

I have had a few experiences where I certainly wouldn't have tipped due to poor service but these are the exception. Consider this.... you order a round of drinks, get poor service and have to pay a 15% tip. Not right IMHO.

Well it all goes into the same pot so I thought it would be obvious:confused:

Archived