Snorkeling w/ a moustache? And snorkeling at Great Stirrup Cay Questions!

I've got some pretty random questions, but hope someone can help!

1) Can a man with a moustache snorkel? Or does he have to shave it off to get a good seal with the mask? (Help!)

2) Do I need a floatation device to snorkel at Great Stirrup Cay, and possibly some random beach in Nassau? If so, what do you suggest? A belt, vest, mouth valve-type inflatable? We will be bringing our own snorkel, mask and flippers. Still deciding on the vest/thingy!

Thanks!!

Question 1: Test it yourself as it varies from person to person and mask to mask. Put mask on face and submerge face in water (sink, bathtub, pool, toilet, what have you). If mask leaks, it sometimes helps to trim the moustache just below the nose a little bit. Others, have to shave the entire thing off to get a good seal.

Question 2: From what I recall there is a policy for mandatory vest usage at GSC but that it was loosely enforced, if at all. If you get "busted", vests were available for rental for $3 or so.

I use a coat of vaseline on my moustache to keep the mask from leaking. Having said that, I have heard that over time, the vaseline will deteriorate the silcone skirt (if you have a silicone mask).

• 2 weeks later...
I've got some pretty random questions, but hope someone can help!

1) Can a man with a moustache snorkel? Or does he have to shave it off to get a good seal with the mask? (Help!)

2) Do I need a floatation device to snorkel at Great Stirrup Cay, and possibly some random beach in Nassau? If so, what do you suggest? A belt, vest, mouth valve-type inflatable? We will be bringing our own snorkel, mask and flippers. Still deciding on the vest/thingy!

Thanks!!

My husband learned the trick many years ago and has always had a results. You carry vasiline and cover the upper part where the seal is touching your moustache it works like a charm. Just clean your mask more oftern.:)

Well, a few years ago, I shaved mine off so that I could use the CPAP machine. Since shaving off, I noticed that snorkel mask no longer leak on the snorkeling trips I have done in Cozumel and Belize. Most people at work didn't noticed that I had shaved it off until I told them. They did noticed a difference but couldn't put there finger on what had changed.

Yes, men who have a moustache can snorkel, but finding a diving mask to fit properly can be a difficult expereince. I was warned of that fact when I began my SCUBA training in college shortly before I got married. My wife did not want me to shave before our wedding so I had to find a mask that would seal with facial hair. I finally found one at my local dive shop and it cost me $100. So if snorkeling is something you really want to do, I would try to find a mask before going so you don't get down there and not have one.

If you live near a dive shop, visit there and see if they can help you find one.

I have had a full beard for 30 years now and dive and snorkel with no problem. Some use vasiline but I never do. If the mask does leak it is only a slight annoiance, no big problem at all.

If you are considering buying your own snorkel equipment, you will do much better to avoid the wallmart type and visit a local dive shop where you can find a selection of quality mask and the advice of a experienced diver. Lou

Archived