Going to school online...and cruising

neo-cruiser

I am also going to school for my masters degree and was looking at the same dilemma. I take 2 classes each semester in 2 sessions. I decided to take a break during one of these sessions. I just finished up my class the first part of March and the next session was going to start the same week that we were taking our cruise. From the past classes I have taken, I knew I would have a lot of work to do, so I just didn't want this on my vacation. My daughter is also graduation from high school in May and I wanted some time to prepare for this. I just thought this would be the best thing for me and then I could pick back up in the summer.

Since you really don't have much choice, I would contact your professor and see if he would work with you on this. I have always found them to be pretty accommodating for special circumstances.

Good luck with your degree!

i am also going to school for my masters degree and was looking at the same dilemma. I take 2 classes each semester in 2 sessions. I decided to take a break during one of these sessions. I just finished up my class the first part of march and the next session was going to start the same week that we were taking our cruise. From the past classes i have taken, i knew i would have a lot of work to do, so i just didn't want this on my vacation. My daughter is also graduation from high school in may and i wanted some time to prepare for this. I just thought this would be the best thing for me and then i could pick back up in the summer.

Since you really don't have much choice, i would contact your professor and see if he would work with you on this. I have always found them to be pretty accommodating for special circumstances.

Good luck with your degree!

I plan on doing all my homework and discussions ahead of time. We come back on a Friday, and one of my class discussions is due on that Sunday, so I can still participate. The other class discussions can be done ahead of time.

I have a group project due April 6th and a paper due April 10th. We are leaving for MIA on the 10th. These two assignments are HUGE because its an MBA program- no fun before the cruise :(

But hey, I get to relax for a week- and I am not logging on at all!:D

I've already packed because I know the next week will be killer!!!!

Im planning on doing the assignments early. Im mostly worried about participation, we have to sign on on four different occassions during the week AND participate in class discussions throughout the week. :eek:. Just hping I can work something out with the professors I guess (how come there isn't a "praying" little smiley face...Ii could really use it right about now lol )

I went to school online about 3 yrs. ago and had participation as well. The participation with my school was done using discussion questions. Those were normally posted early and what I did was write my answers down and then I had a friend of mine go in and participate for me. Now she was familiar with online schooling so it wasnt difficult. Another option is when u get into port some places allow u to purchase internet mins. at a lower cost than the ship. Do ur particpation at that time. ;)Good luck

I went to school online about 3 yrs. ago and had participation as well. The participation with my school was done using discussion questions. Those were normally posted early and what I did was write my answers down and then I had a friend of mine go in and participate for me. Now she was familiar with online schooling so it wasnt difficult. Another option is when u get into port some places allow u to purchase internet mins. at a lower cost than the ship. Do ur particpation at that time. ;)Good luck

We also have discussion question which I can submit early, no problem there. But we also have to write "substatial" replies to at least 2 classmates' discussion question 4 days a week for each of my 2 classes (does that make sense). For example, for 4 days I have to write 4 different replies, to 4 differents classmates' discusion question answers =/ each day. THATS what im trying to figure out what to do. Im hoping/guessing/praying my professor can work something out with me. :confused::eek:

We also have discussion question which I can submit early, no problem there. But we also have to write "substatial" replies to at least 2 classmates' discussion question 4 days a week for each of my 2 classes (does that make sense). For example, for 4 days I have to write 4 different replies, to 4 differents classmates' discusion question answers =/ each day. THATS what im trying to figure out what to do. Im hoping/guessing/praying my professor can work something out with me. :confused::eek:

sounds like the same school I went to...I cant remember if my cruise was a 5 or 7 day bk. during that time. I do remember however that I did miss participation in both classes at least once which was really no big deal. U will figure it out. Most professor are willing to work with u...:D

I got really lucky when I took my first cruise. I was taking two online summer courses and I just told my professors that I was going to be on a cruise and they both opened up the portal so I could turn in my assignments early!

Try looking at your ports of call boards as well. I know there is a restaurant on Grand Turk that offers free wifi. That might be cheaper and give you a better connection.

I plan on taking a picture of my laptop and my feet with the beach and ocean in the background and posting it for all to see and be jealous :)

I was in the same position this past January. I asked for my assignments in advance and had them completed prior to the cruise. One professor was unwilling to allow me to take a quiz early, so I had to do that by midnight on the day of debarkation. If the quiz had been due during the week, I would have purchased some internet time to complete it onboard. Otherwise, I think it is worth some extra cramming the week before the cruise to avoid having to do schoolwork during the trip.

Im planning on doing the assignments early. Im mostly worried about participation, we have to sign on on four different occassions during the week AND participate in class discussions throughout the week. :eek:. Just hping I can work something out with the professors I guess (how come there isn't a "praying" little smiley face...Ii could really use it right about now lol )

I have done online degree courses while cruising and make sure I have any required assignments and some postings done early.....and just advise the prof that I will not be participating in that weeks interactive discussions. If you are diligent every other week of the course...one week really should not affect your overall grade too much as it is prorated against the participation the whole term.

Another poster said it.....homework while cruisin is NOT optional..lol.

Work like dog before and after your trip, but enjoy the week.

I have been going to school for two years on line and cruise 2 or 3 times a year. I graduate with my MSN in September. It sounds like your school is exactly like mine. Let me give you all that I have learned. Down load all your assignments to your laptop (I have a netbook with a 9hr. battery for working on deck) look over your assignments down load any research that you might need for the week also. Do this all before you leave home if possible. I knew all my assignments at the start of the class. This saves a lot of internet time.

Make a page for you posting on your computer. You need to become an expert in cutting and pasting. I would go on every day open up the entire thread of postings with the responses. Make sure you can read each posting and response Highlight the entire thread. After it is highlighted, copy it, and then go to your word document you created for the postings and paste it there. You can then sign off the computer read all the postings and write your posting and any responses that you need off line. Then go back on line cut and paste your postings in the thread. This saves a lot of internet time.

Every day I would highlight my word document. Then go back on line and recopy the thread and re-paste it over the old one. Therefore, I always had a current copy to do my responses during the week. Hope this helps good luck with school.

My classes start on Monday, April 4 as well. I cruise on the 9th. I am going to do as much as I can before going and race home on Thursday to get everything done! It is only Finacial Accounting and Ethics LOL! :eek:

I'm about to graduate with my MBA 4 days (taken all online) before we leave for our cruise on May 7th and last year when I cruised for my honeymoon I decided it would be too hard to keep up with class with the bad if any connectivity available on ship and in port if you can find an internet cafe.

Do you really want to spend your vacation worrying about finding a connection, lugging your computer around and working on homework instead of enjoying? If you can get the teacher to agree to let you do the homework ahead of time and maybe take a short paper from like an interview with the ships medical staff as Host Mach suggested or deciding that you can take the hit on points for not contributing as much as you are required then I say it is possible. However if the teacher won't allow you to work ahead then it would be best to just take time off from class and go back at it as soon as you can.

I graduated from the UOP in 2002, before it was so popular/common. I remember living in five week blocks (length of each 3 credit course). One poster indicated that their advisor suggested they take a break. That is exactly what I did. Believe it or not, imt didn't mess up ability to take classes, etc., that I needed to take and actually had something like three weeks off between classes instead of just one. That way, I could really get ready and excited for our cruise, enjoy and trip and then still have time before I had to gear up for the next class. My sister-in-law and her husband just left for Florida yesterday. She is taking three classes to get her degree in elementary education. It is not during her college's spring break and know she be spending way more time than she wants on her computer. Having to worry about paying for on-line time on the ship, connections, etc., would not be worth it to me.

I have been going to school for two years on line and cruise 2 or 3 times a year. I graduate with my MSN in September. It sounds like your school is exactly like mine. Let me give you all that I have learned. Down load all your assignments to your laptop (I have a netbook with a 9hr. battery for working on deck) look over your assignments down load any research that you might need for the week also. Do this all before you leave home if possible. I knew all my assignments at the start of the class. This saves a lot of internet time.

Make a page for you posting on your computer. You need to become an expert in cutting and pasting. I would go on every day open up the entire thread of postings with the responses. Make sure you can read each posting and response Highlight the entire thread. After it is highlighted, copy it, and then go to your word document you created for the postings and paste it there. You can then sign off the computer read all the postings and write your posting and any responses that you need off line. Then go back on line cut and paste your postings in the thread. This saves a lot of internet time.

Every day I would highlight my word document. Then go back on line and recopy the thread and re-paste it over the old one. Therefore, I always had a current copy to do my responses during the week. Hope this helps good luck with school.

Thats what I was thinking too, just seems like a whole lot of work :eek: Thanks for the advice though.

I have done online degree courses while cruising and make sure I have any required assignments and some postings done early.....and just advise the prof that I will not be participating in that weeks interactive discussions. If you are diligent every other week of the course...one week really should not affect your overall grade too much as it is prorated against the participation the whole term.

Another poster said it.....homework while cruisin is NOT optional..lol.

Work like dog before and after your trip, but enjoy the week.

Yes, Im definitely not a slacker, and always go above and beyond what my professors recquire of me. So I am hoping that they will recognize that. :)

I cruising the dream in about :cool: ....36 days and 5 hours (but who's counting :p). I am currently going to school online for my degree (Healthcare Administration) and I have class the week I will be away. Has anyone been in this position that can give me any tips on assignments and participation. :)THANKS IN ADVANCE:)

I go to UoP, too. I cruise in June and will be starting a new block May 2nd. So, I will be in week 6 when we cruise and I had been worrying about this since CHRISTMAS :eek:. I really was very unsure about what I was going to do and how it was going to affect my GPA.

And then, I realized something. Participation is only worth 1/4 - 1/3 of the grade depending on the instructor. The DQ's are usually posted in the syllabus (if they are not, I will just request them so I can get credit for that week's 3). I will also be able to go ahead and do my assignment the week before I leave. I figure I can sign in one time and post a "checking in" thread to get attendance and then submit my DQ's that I will have saved in my drafts (unless the facillitator allows me to submit those on Sunday before we disembark). I will then post one more "checking in" thread the Sunday that we get back and depending on how I am feeling - I may make some posts for participation. I figure doing it this will - I will at least get partial points for answering the DQ's and then of course points for my assignment. Then because I posted on 2 seperate days I will be counted for attendance.

My GPA is good enough that I can take a little hit on participation for one week. I think I was freaking out for nothing. I just had to take a step back and think about it instead of worrying.:p

Archived