Eating with strangers...

NODAK1979

I know NCL's big thing is that you can eat anytime, and tables are not assigned...which is GREAT. A big reason I chose NCL...the lack of structure.

I do have a question, though. I know I've read that often people get paired up with others in the dining rooms because there aren't a lot of tables for just two people. Is that true on NCL as well?

I'm hoping not...I'm just really not a fan of eating with people I don't know. Small talk is so awkward....and I don't want to have to book specialty restaurants each time to ensure a table for two.

Thanks!

We are two. Look at our cruise history. We have NEVER eaten with other people. We have struck up conversations with those (also 2) sitting across fro m our table. You never are seated with other people unless you request it, and I can't imagine why anyone would. We like our nice alone time.

in the words of a chinese master all friends where once strangers!

on a serious note i know where you are coming from as my wife is a slow eater and i get worried about her holding up other people over a meal so we always try for a table for 2 and usually do not have a problem.

in the words of a chinese master all friends where once strangers!

on a serious note i know where you are coming from as my wife is a slow eater and i get worried about her holding up other people over a meal so we always try for a table for 2 and usually do not have a problem.

I know what you mean. I eat very fast and end up leaving my girlfriend eating while I sit and talk to her. Eating with other people isn't too bad. We did the murder mystery dinner on our last cruise which was quite fun. Not a lot of "small talk" except for the first 10-15 minutes while everyone is getting seated and what not. After that it's SHOWTIME. Everyone should try this dinner if it's available. It's very fun.

One of the joys of being on Cruise Critics and participating in the roll calls is getting to know people in advance of the cruise, then meeting them face to face at the meet and greet. This often means getting together with others for dinner. We love meeting new people and have joined up with others while waiting for a table, sometimes we enjoy eating by ourselves, that is the joy of freestyle you can do what you want. We have made some great friends this way. We have also had some awkward moments as well but that is another story.

I know NCL's big thing is that you can eat anytime, and tables are not assigned...which is GREAT. A big reason I chose NCL...the lack of structure.

I do have a question, though. I know I've read that often people get paired up with others in the dining rooms because there aren't a lot of tables for just two people. Is that true on NCL as well?

I'm hoping not...I'm just really not a fan of eating with people I don't know. Small talk is so awkward....and I don't want to have to book specialty restaurants each time to ensure a table for two.

Thanks!

I find sitting with "new" people to be one of the nice things about cruising. In fact, we've met people over the years that we still stay in contact with. We'll be doing our first NCL next year and I'm looking forward to the freestyle but I do think I will miss sitting with the same people each night and being served by the same waiter. I'll enjoy the cruise though I am sure.

On our last cruise on The Pearl we were given the option of sharing tables on two different evenings, due to the number of people waiting. Both evenings we chose to share and met some great people. On the second night we shared we were seated at a table for 12. We became good friends with two of the other couples who we sat with that night and ended up meeting up with them throughout the remainder of the cruise. It is a great way to meet people, but it is also nice to have the option to eat alone when we want to.

Thanks!

On every NCL cruise we have been on (see below) we have always had a table for two. Every meal. Every day.

We love having our own table for 2 for dinner. It's the time of day that we sit down with each other and chat about the day and what we will do in the evening and what we have planned for the next day. We do to dinner between 5:30 and 7:00 and have never had to wait for a table for two. Part of the reason we choose to cruise with NCL is the freedom to eat when we want and with whom we want...suits us perfectly! And don't feel guilty about wanting to eat alone...you're on vacation to relax and have a good time!:)

Good deal. I can't imagine anybody specifically requesting to sit with strangers. That takes a special type of extrovert, I suppose.

Lots of people ask for 'shared seating' since they like to meet other people with the common interest of cruising. We always ask for shared seating and are usually seated with 4 other couples who've also asked for shared seating. We've rarely been seated with the same couples each night so there must be lots of people willing to meet strangers. We've heard lots of interesting travel stories that way.

On our Dawn trip last fall, we didn’t experience difficulties getting a table just for the two of us in either of the main MDRs or any speciality spots. Depending on the time of evening there were slight delays if you wanted a table for two. Also, there were a limited number of tables for two by the windows so delays may be longer if you want that. We had to wait 20 min for one(window) at the Venetian. You will be asked if you wish to share and no delays expected if you choose to do so.

After a long port day, we are not interested in small talk with strangers at the dining table so just want to be by ourselves and we politely declined all offers to share

Thanks!

Simply not true. There are PLENTY of tables for two AND you will NEVER be paired up with anyone else unless YOU want it. You may be asked if you want to share - simply decline.

We have NEVER had a problem getting a table for two on NCL promptly.

I would echo the many replies that tables for 2 are readily available. We have shared and not shared and have come to the conclusion that we prefer to EAT alone but enjoy having a before or after dinner DRINK with others.

Archived