Upsell Desk question

fightpiter

Has anyone called the NCL upsell desk and had any luck? I have tried twice and been told that they do not accept phone calls and that the only thing I can do is wait and see. If you have had success is there anything that I should be telling them in particular? Thanks for any suggestions.

What they told you is correct. They do not accept unsolicited calls. If there is one available and they want to offer it to you, they will call and let you know how to reach them.

It is a rare occurrence so if you want an upgrade, you are better off calling and paying for it.:(

I have been told by pcc if people try and call for an upsell they are not going to get one, I have been fortunate to have received the call 3xs. I would nevewr think to call it's like asking for a freebie. I know people have varying opinions on this so this is mine. Just wait and see or look to upgrade your cabin if you like. When you call sometimes they give you a great deal on an upgrade

I have been told by pcc if people try and call for an upsell they are not going to get one, I have been fortunate to have received the call 3xs. I would nevewr think to call it's like asking for a freebie. I know people have varying opinions on this so this is mine. Just wait and see or look to upgrade your cabin if you like. When you call sometimes they give you a great deal on an upgrade

I would prefer to think of it as negotiating a price and I would think that it never hurts to ask.

As far as an upgrade goes I was under the impression that this is where they upgrade your cabin for no cost whereas an upsell is where you negotiate or agree on a price that's less than the current advertised price.

Having had neither I am not absolutely certain that I am correct and even if I don't get my upsell I am happy with what I have booked.

Don't forget to keep a close eye on prices a week or two before your cruise. Remember, after final payment you can't get money back, but you can certainly upgrade yourself and just pay the difference. We had great luck with this on our Gem cruise last year--- we were originally booked in a penthouse but were able to arrange to upgrade to the Owner's Suite for a lot less than we would have originally paid. It may not have been quite as terrific as an upsell deal, but it was still a substantial savings, so we were happy.Usually NCL drops the rates to see if anyone will bite, and if they don't, then they resort to upsells.

On our Adriatic cruise last year, I called to see how much it would cost to upgrade our inside room to an outside. I had received an unexpected bonus and wanted to spend it on a nicer room. Much to my surprise and appreciation, the nice lady told me that sometimes they will have specials for customers who wish to pay for upgrading...she went away and came back with several options. For $150pp, we upgraded from an inside gty to the highest midship balcony room there is! Much, much cheaper than what the advertised price was at the time. Maybe it helped that I was enquiring in a manner that was not looking for a freebie? Loved the balcony so much we have booked another! this time we will wait to see if the real upgrade fairy makes an appearance to place us in a suite with little or no extra charge. Balcony is fine with me, as is a window or even an inside....so long as I am onboard for the sail away party....!!

Don't forget to keep a close eye on prices a week or two before your cruise. Remember, after final payment you can't get money back, but you can certainly upgrade yourself and just pay the difference.

+1

Nothing wrong with paying for an upgrade after prices fall.

Perhaps I have given the wrong impression with my question. I wish to negotiate or pay a discounted rate on a better suite than the one that I currently have booked. I am NOT asking for any kind of a handout or freebie from NCL. I was under that impression that the upSELL desk was the place to do this as I have seen prior posts where others have done this.

Perhaps I have given the wrong impression with my question. I wish to negotiate or pay a discounted rate on a better suite than the one that I currently have booked. I am NOT asking for any kind of a handout or freebie from NCL. I was under that impression that the upSELL desk was the place to do this as I have seen prior posts where others have done this.

Yes, in the past and once in a while these days. The problem has been that when the Upsell Department (which is tiny) was accepting incoming calls, then thousands of booked passengers were (1) calling daily starting months before their cruise date asking for an inexpensive upsell and/or (2) savvy passengers were booking in categories much lower than they wanted and then starting in with the upsell calls to try to get what they really wanted for a cheap fare. And sometimes when people weren't able to negotiate a deal, they'd get angry and upset with the upsell representative. Honestly, the little department was overwhelmed with calls and the Revenue Department was not happy with the "book low, call for an upsell cheap" losses.

I have to ask why you are questioning the information you received directly from two Upsell representatives? If the employees of the department itself are telling you that they no longer accept incoming calls, then that's probably the current policy. There was a time last year when they started allowing some incoming calls again, but I suspect that the same thing happened as in past years: Too many callers and not enough revenue.

I suppose you could keep trying and hope that eventually one of the representatives would give in and say yes. Other than that, you will have to wait for the possibility of an upsell call if NCL decides to offer them on your cruise and if your name is on their list of possible upsells.

beachchick

OP, I think most us did understand your intent. About a year ago, before my last Gem cruise, there were reports from cruisers who did call the upsell desk and were granted an upsell. However, even then, most seemed to agree that they weren't getting the really deep discounts that were given to those who were called BY the upsell department. But all recent reports I have seen say that the upsell desk is not currently accepting incoming requests. And, some have said that they were called but the discount was not what they were hoping for. I still say, decide how much extra you are willing to spend for a better suite, and watch prices to see if you can upgrade yourself for close to that. Or, wait for a call!

My TA told me last week NCL is no longer taking upsell calls. Apparently the suites have been selling better so they no longer need as many upsells. Whether that is accurate or not I don't know, but they are definitely not taking the calls right now. My TA got us an upsell last May so she is very familiar with that department and said she is very disappointed about the change. Probably because she got people like me hooked on suites by having got an upsell! I agree with others, if you want a suite book a suite. :)

We booked a aft romance suite on the Dawn for 2/20/11. Had to book early to get it because they are in demand.

I then read on these boards that these suites seemed to get upsell calls because they are easier to turnover to other passengers. Sure enough, 5 days before our cruise I got the upsell call to an owners suite. This made me feel that they do have a 'priority order' to their calls. Just my opinion......Good luck..

We booked a aft romance suite on the Dawn for 2/20/11. Had to book early to get it because they are in demand.

I then read on these boards that these suites seemed to get upsell calls because they are easier to turnover to other passengers. Sure enough, 5 days before our cruise I got the upsell call to an owners suite. This made me feel that they do have a 'priority order' to their calls. Just my opinion......Good luck..

Well I will keep my fingers crossed as that is what I have. If I don't get the call I am sure that we will still be happy with the AD. After all, this is the first time our kids haven't gone with us.

Well I will keep my fingers crossed as that is what I have. If I don't get the call I am sure that we will still be happy with the AD. After all, this is the first time our kids haven't gone with us.

When I first booked the AD aft I wasn't looking for an upsell. Just thought I'd like it. Booking one on the Epic for next year. I'm with you...if I don't get the call, no big deal....

OP.. you have gotten a lot of good advise so far. I would like to give you my advise as well. 8-). I would not upgrade to any suite from an AE/AD except maybe to an OS. It would take a lot for me to give up being Aft in an AE/AD as I love those suites and location so much. When I say I would upgrade to an OS if they called, I would still hesitate. When we were in an OS for our last cruise, which was last May, the entire time we were on either balcony, all I kept thinking of was how much I wish we were back in our Aft suite.

That is a lie. My brother was on Spirit last month and got upsell from mini-suite to owners suite

My TA told me last week NCL is no longer taking upsell calls. Apparently the suites have been selling better so they no longer need as many upsells. Whether that is accurate or not I don't know, but they are definitely not taking the calls right now. My TA got us an upsell last May so she is very familiar with that department and said she is very disappointed about the change. Probably because she got people like me hooked on suites by having got an upsell! I agree with others, if you want a suite book a suite. :)

Quote" sjnyc323 That is a lie. My brother was on Spirit last month and got upsell from mini-suite to owners suite

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rileyz

My TA told me last week NCL is no longer taking upsell calls. Apparently the suites have been selling better so they no longer need as many upsells. Whether that is accurate or not I don't know, but they are definitely not taking the calls right now. My TA got us an upsell last May so she is very familiar with that department and said she is very disappointed about the change. Probably because she got people like me hooked on suites by having got an upsell! I agree with others, if you want a suite book a suite.

How is that a lie? They didn't say no one was being offered upsells, just that you can no longer call and ask for them.:rolleyes:

Quote" sjnyc323 That is a lie. My brother was on Spirit last month and got upsell from mini-suite to owners suite[/

How is that a lie? They didn't say no one was being offered upsells, just that you can no longer call and ask for them.:rolleyes:

Lol, thanks Peg. I am only sharing the info my TA gave me and she's great at trying to get her clients upsells. She was genuinely distressed about the change, told me a rep from NCL had been at their agency (it's a large agency) and my TA talked to her directly about this. For me, I booked a suite for my next NCL cruise and am happy with what I got. :D

Archived