Would experienced sailor enjoy America's Cup?

My husband is a very experienced sailor (racing and pleasure) and I'm wondering if he would enjoy this sail.I know I would enjoy it. Most of the reports of those who loved this excursion seem to be from non-sailors (like me!)Would he find this boring or will he be able to do something on board to challenge his skill level? I hope some experienced sailors out there have the answer!

Thanks

Gail

My husband and I just got back and he has a little sailing experience but I just sun! They were happy to have someone with expierence to be on the boat. Everyone was assigned jobs about 10 people actively. 3 crew along with us. My job was to be one of 4 primarey grinders. We stayed busy most of the race. It was very exciting and beautiful out there. I was so sore the next day I couldn't lift my arms and I work out. But I was the only girl of 4 doing my job.This was my favorite thing of our entire cruise we were on the Canada 2 and beat the Stars and Stripes. Our captain was from South Africa and was named Paul he also won the race after us.

We went on this excursion in March, and we got to sail on the Stars and Stripes. Beachfan, we beat Canada 2. Our skipper said that the crews made the difference, so obviously, you and I were part of great crews. I got to be a winch wench!

Oh, back to the topic: There were 2 guys on our excursion who were experienced sailors. One even brought his gloves. They both had a wonderful time. I think their highlight (as well as mine) was when they got to be at the helm as we sailed back into the harbor. What sailor wouldn't love sailing a racing yacht that had been in The America's Cup?

Do it. You won't be sorry.

Michelle

I think that Sheffie said it.

It's certainly not going to be a challenge, but it's a great outing, and taking the helm of an America's Cup yacht AFTER the race (have someone ready with the camera) is a kick!

I think you can safely book this one as a 'Slam Dunk' adventure.

He should also appreciate the scenery (great views of St. Maarten from offshore) and the open (if limited) bar.

_____

We must sail, sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor. Oliver Wendell Holmes

• 1 month later...

The America's Cup Regatta is my all-time favorite excursion. We were also aboard Stars & Strips and beat Canada II in January.

I would do this tour again in a heartbeat.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

almamater.jpg

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;10;9;7;10;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Followed by:

Carnival Valor 10/30/05 CC Group

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

And then:

Carnival Spirit 12/10/05 Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;12;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Perhaps something else as well. Watch this space.

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

Did you all book this excursion through the ship? And if so, how far in advance of your cruise did you book? Sounds as if a limited number can take this excursion and I assume that it fills quickly. Also, how long are you out?

Thanks for answers to my questions!

On Carnival, you may not pre-book excursions before embarkation. As I recall, it sold out before the end of the second day of the cruise.

St. Maarten 12-Metre Challenge

demon2.gif

namelogo.png

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;10;9;7;10;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Followed by:

Carnival Valor 10/30/05 CC Group

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

And then:

Carnival Spirit 12/10/05 Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;12;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Perhaps something else as well. Watch this space.

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

Archived