Bugs in Costa Rica and what to wear

wendymac

I got bit by a bug in the jungle at the monkey sanctuary and so did our tour guide. After that I smartened up and put on insect repellent and offered some to the guide too! I had no problems at Tortuguero. I was wearing shorts and t-shirt but I recommend insect repellent and you shouldn't have any problems. Fortunately I was carrying the repellent in my bag though I'm not sure why I forgot to apply it before leaving the ship!

I got bit by a bug in the jungle at the monkey sanctuary and so did our tour guide. After that I smartened up and put on insect repellent and offered some to the guide too! I had no problems at Tortuguero. I was wearing shorts and t-shirt but I recommend insect repellent and you shouldn't have any problems. Fortunately I was carrying the repellent in my bag though I'm not sure why I forgot to apply it before leaving the ship!

I had same experience at an Eco farm (very interesting place btw) and raised one heck of an itchy welt! I would recommend repellant for the parks as they tend to be hot and humid....it is a rain forest after all...and if you tend to be sensitive to insect bites I would consider it necessary. I bought a tube in a local market in CR and it was fine.

• 3 weeks later...

We were just at Puerto Limon (from Equinox) and went on a rain forest tour, plus canal tour. The mosquitoes were very bad at the rain forest but we both used plenty of OFF so were not bitten. Some of the guests, however, did get bitten. One gal, who said she had used repellant, still got a couple of large red welts from being bitten.

I didn't notice any mosquitoes while we were on our canal tour. Nearly everyone was wearing short sleeve shirts and shorts. Perhaps a long sleeved shirt or long pants might help with the bug problem but it's very warm there.

I treat my clothing with a permethrin based insecticide. It's an insecticide that you put on your clothes and lasts for six weeks or six washings. Before your trip you thoroughly spray the clothes (outside, it's a bit stinky) and let them thoroughly dry (once dry there is no smell). Then when going on a shore excursion you just need to apply bug repellent to your exposed skin.

It also works back in the states at stopping ticks.

Archived