Southwest grounding planes due to Fuselage Rupture (Combined)

UpstateCruizer

The age of the aircraft is not the only significant factor. Southwest jets take off and land more frequently per day than any other carrier. This puts more stress on the planes. The plane involved in Friday's "incident" had logged 39,000 takeoffs and landings, which is a high number for a 15 year-old-aircraft.

In 2009, The average daily departures per plane on Southwest was 5.7, and the average daily hours flown per plane was 10.3 For CO, daily departure average was 2.8, hours flown 10.6. For DL 3.1 departures, hours flown, 10.0. For UA 3.3 departures, hours flown 11.5. For American 3.1 departures, 9.7 hours flown. (Source:AirlineFinancials.com; Bureau of Transportation Statistics).

Its not just how old the horse is, it's how hard they've been ridden

The age of the aircraft is not the only significant factor. Southwest jets take off and land more frequently per day than any other carrier. This puts more stress on the planes. The plane involved in Friday's "incident" had logged 39,000 takeoffs and landings, which is a high number for a 15 year-old-aircraft.

Per Boeing, the plane should have been capable of 60,000 takeoffs and landings before any special maintenance was needed. It is a design issue.

39,000 is MUCH less than 60,000.

This is a pretty informed and well-discussed thread.Folks, if you havn't figuered it out yet, the safety announcment is the time to put down the papers and/or stow the electronics! You call pull that iPhone out agian at 10K.

I completely agree. Even before the safety annoucements start, I always count how many rows it is to the nearest emergency exit. Hopefully I'll never need to use it but if there's a lack of visibility in the cabin, I know how many rows I need to crawl past to get out. It could save your life.

Archived