Will this leave us running to catch the ship?

If you're on an RCI excursion, you will NOT be "running to catch the ship'...they will take care of everything...no worries on your part.

Not true !!!

I´ve been running late on an RCI excursion and instead of getting us straight back to the ship they dropped us off a good bit from the ship and we had to make our way on our own (not as a group guided) through the shopping area around the port. As from there it was out own responsibility to make our way to the ship in time we had to run back to the ship, because when they dropped us off it was sailing time already and they didn´t care.

On our last Explorer cruise, the ship did not leave on time from St Martin. We were wondering what was up when two busloads (RCCL excursion) showed up about 5 minutes before sailaway. Departure was delayed about 30 minutes. No biggie though as the next port wasn't far and the time was easily made up. That sort of security is important to a lot of folks and the extra cost is well justified for many.

Well, good luck to YOU for paying such a high price for a "tour" you could have gotten from a local taxi driver for much less than you are paying~! Have you ever been to St. Maarten/St. Martin before?

Yes. Twice. Once we rented a car and the other time we took taxis. Not a pleasant experience either time. Traffic is misrable. And have you checked out the taxi prices lately? If you are a local and know your way around and know exactly where you want to go or see, then by all means get a taxi. The people with me have not been to St Maarten/St Martin before and I don't want to be a tour guide, so this is the best way for us.

Here are the latest taxi prices.

http://www.taxistmaarten.com/images/files/Rate_Sheet.pdf

Man, I can't believe how people flame each other on this forum. It makes one not want to post on CC at all, much less even read the the posts.

bob123

I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your tour with Bernard. We are a group of 11 going on a private tour with him next month and have heard wonderful things. I think since we are a private tour we have more say in where we go and what we see. Some things (Maho) are a must for us, but other things we could use some tips. Is there any place you went that you would highly recommend or could skip? Thanks in advance.

To the OP. I too was very nervous about doing a non-ship excursion, but Bernard came so highly recommended I couldn't pass up the opportunity. So far I haven't read a bad word about his tours. We can't wait!

We left for our tour at approx. 9:00am a few scenic stops including the "sea urchin man" then on to Orient Beach (jet skiing), Marigot (Sarafinas Bakery for lunch :p) then Maho, our timing was perfect an AA big jet was taking off :eek:..We left Maho at approx.1:30-2:00 then some of us opted to be dropped off in town for shopping the others were dropped back off at the ship..We had an amazing tour, learned so much and saw so much more than we ever had on our own...The water, soda,caribbean beer and of course the homemade Rum Punch helped make it a day to remember for us all..:D

I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your tour with Bernard. We are a group of 11 going on a private tour with him next month and have heard wonderful things. I think since we are a private tour we have more say in where we go and what we see. Some things (Maho) are a must for us, but other things we could use some tips. Is there any place you went that you would highly recommend or could skip? Thanks in advance.

To the OP. I too was very nervous about doing a non-ship excursion, but Bernard came so highly recommended I couldn't pass up the opportunity. So far I haven't read a bad word about his tours. We can't wait!

You cant loose with Bernards, he will have you back in plenty of time. We leave June 4 on Oasis and have a private tour with him of 23 people. Google him and you will love him.

Archived