Jellyfish?

minnjudy

Are jellyfish a concern in St. Martin waters? My family is alittle freaky about them, and would like to know when booking excursions.

icon_rolleyes.gificon_eek.gificon_rolleyes.gif

RC Nordic Empress 1/92 Bahamas

RC Enchantment W Carib 1/01

Legend to Hawaii 3/03

Next:

Carib Princess E Carib 6/04

I'm not a expert, and don't know anything about how they vary seasonally.

We saw them when we were there a couple of years ago when we were snorkling.

Most of the ones we saw were pretty harmless ones that were underwater and didn't have trailing stingers and we just swam around the others.

The snorkle guide showed us how we could gently stoke or guide them by touching thier top.

BigDave

My first cruise: Enchantment, Eastern Caribbean - 10/13/2002

My second cruise: Rhapsody, Western Caribbean - 4/4/2004

My next cruise: Radiance, Eastern Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=229922&cdt=2005;2;13;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

So glad this question was asked! I've been meaning to ask it myself. When we were in PV a year ago there were tons of them in the water. Everyone was getting stung. I haven't heard anything about them in the Caribbean, but from above post I guess they are there too! We're going in June. Hope that's not the season!

My husband is allergic to the Jellyfish stings. He puffs up like a puffer fish! We now carry Claritan tablets, the kind that just melt in your mouth, no water needed. He takes one before snokeling, just in case. (On our last cruise, he ended up in the Medical Center because of jellyfish stings. That is when we decided he would take a claritan before snorkeling from now on, no matter where we are.)

WooHoo, cruisin' again in May 2004!

I have spent two weeks each year in SXM for the last twelve. I have swimmed off beaches all over the island and have never seen a jellyfish anywhere. Never heard anyone say that they have seen them either. I certainly will not say that there are none there, but my experience would indicate that their presence is rare.

Rick

My husband has been stung in the water off of Hawaii, Mexico, and Baja. No where is safe for him, unfortunately. However, the Claritan works really well.

WooHoo, cruisin' again in May 2004!

We have been spending three weeks at a time on the island for several years now, usually in the mid-September through mid-October window.

When the conditions are right (or wrong) we will see jellyfish in the waters of Orient Beach two or three days out of that three week period.

This is usually after there has been something of a storm passing through, followed by a couple of days of very calm weather.

We might see three or four or a dozen. These would range from three to eight inches in diameter. We've yet to be stung.

_____

We must sail, sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor. Oliver Wendell Holmes

Easter week this year, we saw ONE at Orient Beach. I was told this was unusual.

Here's a pic:

Orient Beach Jelly Fish

Bob

Ship_at_island.gif

"These moments we’re left with - may you always remember

These moments are shared, by few

And those harbor lights, lord they’re coming into view

We’ll bid our farewells much too soon

So drink it up, this one’s for you -

Honey, it’s been a lovely cruise."

-- James W. Buffett

Carnival Triumph, April '02

Carnival Sensation, January '04

Golden Princess, April '04

Carnival Sensation, Golden Princess / Caribbean Princess pix at: Cool Cruisin' Pix

e-mail: bobandkarenny@yahoo.com

• 4 weeks later...

I was stung by a jelly fish last year in the ocean in front of Everyt'ing Cool. Others were getting stung too. There had been a hurricane 2 weeks before we were there, & the locals said the storm had brought them in. We were there in early Oct. so it was hurricane season. Now I carry sting relief medicine. That thing hurt! LOL

Triumph Dec.2,2000

Triumph Sept.8,2001

Spirit Dec.5,2001

Victory Sept.29,2002

Pride May 10,2003

Glory Inaugural July 14,2003

Grand Princess Sept. 28,2003

Mariner of the Seas Dec.14.2003

Mariner of the Seas Sept. 19, 2004

Jewel of the Seas Nov.14 2004

http://community.webshots.com/user/mikeandkarren

http://community.webshots.com/user/realman112