Orient Beach: Not so great

lisajoy

I have been to orient beach twice the first time I was pestered alot,finally I gave in and had my hair braided,she was half way done when it struck me she used her own comb, needless to say than I got worried . I swore that would never happen again. being my hair is long I get alot of pressure to have it braided ,on the beaches or even in the shopping areas. The next time I was there no one bothered me on the beach but they still did in town. I just figure they have to try and make a living when the tourst are there.

Cabs and vans typically drop you off at the section of Orient Beach where the Nudist sign is. This is where one might get bothered by the venders. If you have the cab drop you off furthur down you would find an area where vendors don't bother you. I actually talked to some and find out they are Americans just doing odd jobs. I had some interesting discussions and didn't buy anything. They even seemed to enjoy talking even though you didn't buy anything.

If you don't want to be bothered and you don't like people don't go where they have people.

• 1 month later...

Can some one be more specific as to what beach bar might be near the water trampolines? Our son also wants to have some water sports to do while at the beach. What does Bikini Beach have? Is this part of Orient Beach. Does anyone know anything about Dawn Beach?

• 3 weeks later...

We have been on 9 cruises and this beach would not make our favorites list. To eaches own. Theres no trees for shade, the winds are strong enough that you dont really care about going in the water and get buffeted around. The bars and restaurants are numberous but very packed in for my taste. And the nudist beach......thats ok for about 5 minutes...To eaches own, but I have to say we were both a bit dissappointed at all the excitement of going here.

Bikini Beach is one of the restaurants on Orient Beach. The water trampolines etc are near it and Kakao Beach. They are about midway down the beach. There are a number of restaurants on Orient Beach - so one can walk along the beach until you spot one you like. Most rent chairs and umbrellas. The quietest part of the beach is the northern end. The busiest area is from the middle to Club Orient (Naturist Resort on the southern part of beach) . If you want to be dropped off at a specific spot -ask the cab driver. We requested Kakao Beach and our driver dropped us off just behind the restaurant.

We have been on 9 cruises and this beach would not make our favorites list.

Here's how Caribbean beaches were rated by Caribbean Travel & Life (January 2003)

#8 - Shoal Bay, Anquilla

#7 - Sandy Island, Carriacou

#6 - Trunk Bay, St. John

#5 - Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman

#4 - Los Roques Beach, Venezuela

#3 - ORIENT BEACH, St. Martin

#2 - Grace Bay Beach, Turks & Caicos

#1 - Negril's 7-mile Beach, Jamaica

In January 2004, Caribbean Travel & Life rated ORIENT BEACH as #1.

Would you care to share your personal ratings of the beaches?

My ratings: (of the ones listed above I have only been to Grace Bay and Orient Beach)

1. Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos

2. Beach near Prospect of Whitby, North Caicos, Turks and Caicos

3. the beach at Club Med on Guadeloupe (I think it's called Plage St Anne)

4. The beach near The Baths on Virgin Gorda

5. Pinney's Beach , Nevis

6. Turtle Beach, St. Kitt's

7. Orient Beach, St Martin

8. Akumal Bay Beach, Mexico

9. Cane Garden Bay, Tortola

10. Plage St Jean, St Bart's

I'm kinda surprised you include The Baths at Virgin Gorda in the list of beaches. Without doubt, The Baths has to be one of most DROP DEAD BEAUTIFUL settings on the planet. However, as a beach, it's really very limited for swimming and sunbathing. The hike down the hill alone would be a challenge.

Just back from our cruise and our day on St Martin last week... we went directly to Club Orient, rented beach chairs and umbrellas and spent the far tooooo short day there.... the beach is beautiful, the people were fun and friendly, the drinks at Pedros were sweet and cold (nothing like being able to hang out at the bar in the nude (ooops.. sorry for the pun))....

We saw ONE local vendor the whole day and he didn't even say a word to us...

The place is just plain a piece of heaven... will be returning for a longer stay!!!

Kal:

Actually I meant the beach AFTER you go through the Baths (sorry but I can't remember what it is called - Maybe Devil's bay ?). I loved the view of rock formations on both ends of the beach. I certainly would not recommend it for the inexperienced swimmer or snorkeler when it is rough. I have a soft spot for wild rocky beaches (Although I also like endless miles of sand and gentle water (i.e. Turks and Caicos).

Orient Beach was very crowded when we were there it was a very nice beach as beaches go just way to crowded for my taste. Did not have any problems with vendors. My head is shaved completely bald and my wife has very short hair so the hair braiders never bother us LOL. Once was enough for me will look for a less crowded beach next time.

I was at Orient on a day that turned overcast and drizzly. So... it cast a shadow on the day.

Orient as a beach is often too crowded, the strand itself is good but not great, the nudes generally ugly...

The restaurants are pretty nice, and the beach/reastaurant situation well kept.

I'd say Orient is a over-hyped, but to get that way it had to be pretty first rate overall.

I'd be interested in how folks would compare it to say, known but much less hyped South Friars Beach on St. Kitts. I liked the later much more, but might not have if the weather turned...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived